McIntosh A/V recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Eric Weinraub, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident Thread Starter

We're doing a remodel in our home. Creating a space that will support a 7.2 A/V system. In the quote we received was a brand new MX-121 at $6k. We're an all McIntosh house so we want to keep going in that direction. My issue is how poorly McIntosh A/V equipment holds its value. All you have to do is go on Ebay and see how cheaply previous models go for. I'm looking for model recommendations prior to the MX-121.

2. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I used the MX132 for years and was very happy. I think that it only supported 5.1. I still use 5.1 but not this processor because it is too shiny and attractive to toddlers and I blessed with little hands in my a/v room :)

3. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Honestly, I think you will see this with most pre/pros (or receivers for that matter) on the A/V side. With tech changes, and new Surround Sound modes (dolby atmos...etc) coming out seemingly every year or two, it's a little tough on values for this type of gear.

4. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

That is quite true. I'm done chasing after that Golden Goose. It's never ending. My next will be more basic and analog. A very absent view of HDMI inputs into it.

5. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

ALL boutique brands of AV gear are subject to the same fate. AV is an arena with nonstop tech developments and upgrades. If you're hell-bent to stick with Mac (bluray player too?), you might consider just getting the latest pre-pro now, and commit to hanging onto it for the long haul.

Kinda depends on how sophisticated your usage is, but if managing funds is any factor, you might consider the unthinkable and integrate a flagship Japan AVR into the system. I see the McIntosh bluray player has analog outs; the AVR could be used as an all-analog pre for movies and music. They're nicer than you might imagine (I suggest Marantz); you don't lose a great deal with that hookup. Broadcast TV is comparatively low-grade media that could connect digitally to the AVR and be very presentable. Best of all, swapping it out every couple of years would be pretty painle$$ in a mostly-Mac household.

Another possibility would be to find a McIntosh C45. It's a discontinued analog multichannel pre, which could be hooked up as above. There is no processing at all, so material such as TV or gaming would have to be analog going in, and stereo at that. And audio-video switching would probably be somewhat more inconvenient. Lotsa variables and compromises, but all-Mac all the time.

Pretty sure the only other alternative is to pay the piper.

whaleyboy likes this.
  6. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I have had the C45 for a long time and love it. It has held its value too.

7. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I should have said that this is exactly what I did. I put Marantz in the av room, bought a killer tv and can swap out the receiver or sources any time because they are so inexpensive relative to the Mac options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.