McIntosh C33 or Adcom GFP565 For Vintage Mac Amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Alan G, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan G

Alan G More A Lurker Than A Poster Thread Starter

Hi,
    I currently have a McIntosh MC 2105 amp that I am very pleased with. In order to have a preamp when I bought it I got a used Adcom GFP 565. This model is generally well regarded and I think the phono section, in particular, has been praised here. It sounds fine to me but I have nothing to compare it to. I was thinking of getting a McIntosh preamp to go with the amp. Either a C28 or C33. I am pretty sure the C33 would be the better of the two but the C28 could be purchased cheaper.
    Would either of these be an upgrade to the Adcom or more of a lateral move? I have been listening to a lot of vinyl lately so the phono section is important. I would probably need to sell my Brian Jones era set of Rolling Stones autographs to help finance the Mac purchase so I would like to make an educated decision. Thanks for any input!!

Alan

2. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

How about a matched pair of THESE in "B1" condition for $800 USD?

3. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I had the Adcom 565. It's a good pre. Designed by Nelson Pass. Not sure how it stacks up against the Mac piece.

4. Alan G

Does anyone else have any comments? Thanks!!

Alan

5. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

The C33 is an outstanding preamp and if you're into vinyl, has one of the best phono stage's ever.

6. breakdown7

breakdown7 Forum Resident

I realize this is an old thread, but I am having the same exact preamp decision to make as the original poster. I can't decide between the Adcom gfp-555 or 565 preamps vs an older McIntosh C26, C28, or C33. The Adcom preamps can be purchased for much cheaper than these vintage Macs. The amplifier used is a McIntosh 2105. If anyone has any insight on these preamps please share. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

7. jimmie42

jimmie42 Forum Resident

I am using a C 32 Preamp and really like it. :)

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Keep it all McIntosh for best McIntosh synergy and sonics. C33 is very nice and will serve you very well.

9. breakdown7

breakdown7 Forum Resident

Thanks for the replies so far. Anyone else have input?

10. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

McIntosh mates best with McIntosh and you'll have more useful features with the C33.

11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It's not even close. I frankly can't believe the Adcom has so many fans. It's sterile and crunchy sounding. By comparison, the Mac pres sound huge and warm. Maybe too much so for my taste but it's a definite that it's the better mate and overall I'd take one over the Adcom in any system.
    -Bill

12. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

just for aesthetics, I would pick the Mac preamp.

I'll second KT88s opinion on Adcom gear - one of my least-favorite systems used a H-K Citation V amp with an Adcom 565 preamp. With the Snell JIII speakers, I really hated the sound - very bright, unpleasant and flat. Adcom, however, is a step up from your usual mid-fi dreck and I still recommend their gear for people just starting in the hobby.

13. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

My first mac amp/pre system was the 2105 and C28. They do match well and sound great when in good shape.
    The C33 is supposed to be a step up from the C32. I have a C32 and like it very much.

Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Steve

14. attym

attym Forum Resident

I want to pick up a Mc 2105 and eventually a C26, 27 or 28. However, in the mean time, I'm curious how my Stereotech 1200 (Japanese Mc) would work as a pre-map with the 2105.

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I have a stupid question. Can a McIntosh preamp be used as an amp? I assume that I cannot, but I am a newbie in this area. I was looking at C-24 the other day and was wondering if I could use it to replace my Pioneer receiver? I currently run a Rega fono mini as my premap.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

16. Alan G

I don;t know about the C24 but the C33 had what was called a Monitor Amp in it. It was about 20WPC as I recall. The back had speaker connections so you could use it as a low powered amp. Hope this helps a little.

Alan

17. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Attempting to use separate mono preamps for stereo is a guaranteed disaster. No two will be level matched and you are likely to have ground loop problems.

The C20 and C22 are by far the best of the vintage Mac pre's especially if you want to use the phono section. The C28 is probably the best of the older solid state ones. I have no experience with the C24 and C26 but there are such things.

18. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Yes, I think some even had Power Guard and everything. But it was primarily intended for headphones as far as I know.

19. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

completely right:cheers:

20. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

McIntosh all the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.