McIntosh MA9000 Integrated Amplifier -- 300 Watts, Upgradeable DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vintage_tube, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music Thread Starter

McIntosh formally announces their new MA9000 Integrated Amplifier. Loaded with features & just soooo pretty.

I like how they created a Mc on the top of the finned heat sinks & engraved McIntosh onto the speaker terminals. Pretty creative & classy IMO.

My dealer is overseas but rumor on the street has it at $10.5K to under $12K. I like the lower number. Wonder if you could slap a Tuner Module TM3 in lieu of the DAC. Now, that would be cool.

Best sirs,

Bob

Introducing the New
    MA9000 Integrated Amplifier

[​IMG]

The MA9000 Integrated Amplifier can you help you achieve audio perfection. Our largest integrated in both size and power, it offers 300 Watts per channel and combines our amplifier and preamplifier expertise into one comprehensive unit.

[​IMG]

There are enough inputs and outputs on the MA9000 to last a lifetime. 10 analog and 6 digital inputs are available to connect just about any device you have. All unbalanced analog connectors are made from premium gold-plated solid brass for superior signal handling and grounding. All digital inputs are housed in our new DA1 Digital Audio Module; the DA1 can be easily replaced by future modules to keep your MA9000 up to date as new digital audio formats and technologies are developed. The DA1 utilizes a powerful 8-channel, 32-bit Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) used in Quad Balanced mode and supports high resolution DSD256 and DXD 384kHz files.

[​IMG]

There's so much more to learn about the MA9000! Click here for full details and specifications.

The MA9000 is now available to order
    at your local dealer.

bradleyc likes this.
  2. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

Coming from a Mc user since the 70's, I love their sonic improvements over the years, but have been disappointed with their esthetic approach.
    All the car companies with their retro cars are making the same mistake with their aesthetics.

Great performance with terrible interpretations of the classic design.

Colin M and arisinwind like this.
  3. vintage_tube

Just noticed in the specs -- 101 pounds out of the box. Jeeze, but lighter than say a MC602 and a fly when compared to the MC2KW 3 box -- 377 pounds total.

Best sirs,

Bob

4. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I REALLY like this. May be tempted so move my belived MA6600. We'll see.

5. vintage_tube

Lusting over this integrated -- geez

[​IMG]

Best

Bob

EricMack likes this.
  6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

$12,000 MSRP?

7. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

I love McIntosh, but I think their top end stuff is butt ugly. One thing I wonder about an integrated amp of this size and power capacity is, who is the demographic? At this cost, size, weight, and presence in the room wouldn't one be going with separates anyway?

8. coopmv

Some Silicon Valley hot shots? I don't see why the average millennials will buy it even if they can afford it. Mind you the millennials are now in the majority ...

9. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident

Butt ugly? I like big butts and I cannot lie! :)

pscreed, Tim Glover, scobb and 2 others like this.
  10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, all of the good stuff weighs a lot. This amp would be great for someone looking to get it all done in one package. My only reservation is the DAC. It seems like digital technology moves much faster than say amps and preamps. I think the unit looks great.

11. coopmv

Where is that revolutionary Mac design for a new Class D amp that will weigh no more than 40 lbs? I am still waiting for something that is not Class AB from Mac. I am getting too old to mess around with such weighty amp. Getting my 60 lbs Conrad Johnson amp up to the top floor in my house was a struggle a few years ago ... :(

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I am too old for the super heavy stuff, as well. My Convergent Audio Technology JL1 mono blocks weigh in at 180lbs each. I had to take one of them to Rochester NY to have it serviced. My poor wife and I struggled getting that thing in and out of the house. I have a hand truck, lever, and shipping straps to help lighten the load. Even then, it was nearly impossible. I was sweating bullets by time we got the amp back on the platform. I can't afford to replace them yet, but at least CAT has a new stereo amp that weighs 88lbs is still class A, and has a much smaller footprint.

13. coopmv

There has to be a better way. Class D amp has been around for at least two decades by now. IIRC, Audio Research, which is now also owned by the same umbrella corp that owns McIntosh, has come out with a new Class D amp not long ago. There is no reason why Mac cannot come up with something new along the Class D line instead of continuing productions of these 100+ lbs massive amps.

:confused:

14. vintage_tube

Not necessarily -- someone who wants the convenience of space for instance and replaces their C2300 and MC452 for starters (fill in the model).

With all the fake news plummeting the airwaves, believe it or not, millennials age at the same rate as you and I. Over time, their financial heath brightens along the way.

A separate DAC plug in module allows you to stay as current & as fast as McIntosh develops the upgrade. At least you're not stuck with a 100 dog years old DAC forever. I'd really love to see them come up with a TM3 module or similar for those not interested in the DAC module -- a Tuner would be cool.

Best

Bob

15. John

John Senior Member

I don't think 101 pounds is at all out of line for a 300 watt integrated amp, seeing how my 75 watt Class A/B Rowland 2 amp weighs 47 pounds. As far as a better way- I'm not sure. A lighter way? That I'm sure of. With respect to Mac going down the 'hi-tech' Class D road, as long as it is a separate road leaving all else intact, I'm fine with that.

16. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a tuner module. If Mac were going to introduce one, now would be the time. They chose not to and I can understand why.

17. vintage_tube

Normally I'd agree with you until you hear this story --

A friend on another audio blog site, who is pretty good at manipulating pictures, etc., came up with a McIntosh clock. Two blue meters -- left designated the hour (12 hour), the right was minutes. Approximately 9 months or so later (maybe less dunno), McIntosh came out with this on their website -- under the merchandise tab for a mere $1800.

So, keep breathing -- 'cause you never know.

[​IMG]
    Best sir,

Bob

18. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

The DAC is a module that can be updated/ replaced as technology demands. I'm seriously considering this behemoth. I want a Mcintosh and this one ticks all my boxes. I checked with my Magnolia dealer and they will give you 36 month interest free on it. Plop down $5k to start and it's a pretty easy monthly nut. As you can tell, I'm busy talking myself into this.

19. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

This thing looks awesome. I love my MA7000 and it weights close to 100 lbs. I'm 55 and just about popped a nut trying to muscle that thing onto my rack by myself.

Coricama likes this.
  20. coopmv

While the unit is quite attractive, it is a non-starter for me since it has no tape loops, not even one ...

scobb likes this.
  21. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

What do you use your tape loops for?

22. coopmv

I still listen to my open-reel and cassette tapes since I have close to 10 tape decks ...

bradleyc and Coricama like this.
  23. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Can you not use that fixed output to do a tape loop? Not sure, but that might work.

24. coopmv

It probably will not be all that effective. I will be better off adding an outboard DAC to a preamp with tape loops ...

25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I've heard this one before. You may get one update if you are lucky. The new DAC will likely have completely different chips/board/power supply. They will say, "Sorry, it will cost you too much for us to upgrade your DAC, you will better off buying a new amp."

pscreed, scobb and Coricama like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.