McIntosh MA9000 Integrated Amplifier -- 300 Watts, Upgradeable DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vintage_tube, Jul 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Purchased my MA7000 from AC. Nothing but good things to say. Had several questions through out the swap process (traded in a MA6300) and they responded to every phone call or message.

Coricama likes this.
  2. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

The C2300 is truly an outstanding preamp. I highly recommend it. I don't think I'll ever need another one. :)

Coricama likes this.
  3. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Are using the HT bypass with your Rotel and C2300? Are you using the MC phono stage?

4. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Yes to both. I'm using vintage Mullard tubes in the MC stage. Sounds wonderful to my ears. Would it be possible for you to audition the unit?

5. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Not likely, I'm going to look around Atlanta at the different Mcintosh dealers. From the looks of them, they're all big home theater stores. The kind that's more into remodeling your house than having nice demo rooms to check out equipment.

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Coricama likes this.
  7. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I"m leaning towards C2300 tube pre combined with the MC402 amp now. I've read good things about both. I would love to hear input from McIntosh owners on this combo.

8. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music Thread Starter

Two fantastic components from McIntosh that will not let you down. Plenty of power for your B&W speakers and the C2300 is an awesome preamp (owned one when they came out). Synergy is important with this hobby & those two components go extremely well together.

Best Sir,

Bob

Coricama likes this.
  9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I don't think you can go wrong with the C2300. Improvements over the C2200, but no built in DAC means none of the firmware problems that troubled the C2500. I feel all of their big solid state amps sound more similar then different (based on hearing them in showrooms and my personal experience owning a late 90's MC352 and a contemporary MC152) so the 402 is likely great but from an aesthetic standpoint I hated that phase where they put the big bump in the middle of the faceplates.

Coricama likes this.
  10. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Thanks guys, Monday I'm taking the plunge and ordering them. I already ordered some Solidsteel racks and a couple odds and ends I'm going to need. Most importantly, I tempered my wife's reaction by approving a long wanted bathroom renovation. I'm going to be broke for a while, but happy!

11. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I'd like one.. But there are other brands (solid state or vacuum tube) I'd liked even more.

12. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

I haven't been to the boys from Binghamton lately. Does this new MA9000 replace the MA8000, or are they being sold side-by-side?

13. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Kind of :agree: ...

14. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident

The MC402/C2300 combo will keep you satisfied for many years. Better start bulking up, that 402 is a heavyweight champ to wrestle with :)

Coricama likes this.
  15. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music Thread Starter

Replaced

Best Sirs,

Bob

16. hkkrazy

hkkrazy Member

Should have many years of great sound from that pair. I have the C2500 with MC601's and have no regrets. The phono stage works great and have had no problems. Looking to change the tubes in the C2500 soon. Thinking Mullard or Telefunken both NOS. $$$$$

Coricama likes this.
  17. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Anyone heard this yet?

Given my experiences, Mac can be real hit and miss on sound quality, particularly the integrated line. As a result, I've dodged them the last few years. I'd be glad to see this one represent a turn for the better, and would happily add them to my system - love those old school blue meters!

18. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Well, I'm halfway there now. Purchased a C2300 this morning on Audiogon. Now I'm after a MC402 amp :edthumbs:

ThorensSme likes this.
  19. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Just bought the MC402 to pair with the C2300! :pineapple: Can't wait!

20. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I have one on order and will report back once it arrives. For what it's worth, the MA9000 has received rave reviews.

Pythonman and wwright like this.
  21. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Look forward to it!

Pythonman likes this.
  22. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Former Mac owner here too. Think it looks fantastic. Personally I'd like one with simple defeatable treble and bass knobs over the equalizer because I know ME. I wouldn't quit fiddling with it. McIntosh has a receiver where you push one of the knobs to access the bass/treble adjust which looks like the best Mac option for someone like me. Clean and simpler I like. McIntosh does have an array options for just about everyone which is totally classy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.