McIntosh MT-5 Tonearm adjustment

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fleshtone, Sep 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fleshtone

fleshtone Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Anyone have a diagram of what all the screws do on the Mac MT-5 tonearm?
    I emailed Mcintosh and my dealer and no one can tell me. I bought a new cartridge for her and have it lined up but would like to know if you can adjust the Azimuth and what else you can do.
    I don't want to just start turning screws!

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

It’s a Clearaudio tonearm. Check their website. They probably sell one close enough under their own branding that might have a manual online.

3. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

No azimuth adjustment. Doesn't the manual cover the rest? It has the normal Clearaudio magnetic anti-skate adjustment screw, and the two set screws on the base for tonearm height adjustment. Not sure which other screws you are referencing.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  4. fleshtone

The manual just covers tonearm height adjustment and the antiskate (poorly). There seems to be one screw that could allow you to "rotate" the arm but I don't want to just start loosening screws.

5. Davey

I don't really see one in the pictures, is it on the side? As far as I can tell, it isn't a standard production Clearaudio arm, so shares features with some of them, but the pivot and headshell assemblies seem to be unique new designs.

[​IMG]

6. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Is that a unipivot? Can't say I'm impressed with an expensive machine that wouldn't make clear how to adjust the arm in the manual.

7. Davey

No, not unipivot, I'd guess the bearings are probably similar to the Satisfy, but hard to say with that round cover. The McIntosh manual I looked at online has a couple pages of tonearm instructions for alignment and tracking force and anti-skate and tonearm height, but the OP wants to adjust azimuth, which I don't think this design provides, seems odd since I think all the Clearaudio arms have azimuth adjustment, I guess McIntosh didn't want that feature (it does usually weaken the structure when azimuth adjustment is provided at the headshell). But I'd agree in that I'd expect a little more adjustability and precision in the tonearm for a table at this price level.

8. fleshtone

Yes I agree it is close to the Satisfy. When I looked it up it has an azimuth adjustment screw on bottom of the distal tonearm before the head. In addition the "McIntosh" arm has a large screw on to of the head (where it meets the arm). That could be an adjustment screw to. So I think you can adjust Azimuth just not sure which one does it.

9. fleshtone

UPDATE:
    Got an answer from McIntosh finally.
    You CAN do a small azimuth adjustment with a set screw on the bottom of the tonearm close to the head by the cable plug ins.
    They said they don't publish this because most cartridges do not need an adjustment. But Soundsmith says that even the best can have a cantilever that is off a little.
    So know I (we) know.

H8SLKC and Davey like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.