McIntosh MX 110 Bottom Plate Missing. Need Assistance

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Paul Woods, May 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Woods

Paul Woods Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have a McIntosh MX-110 Preamplifier / Tuner, and it is missing the bottom steel cover. It's a hard piece to find. I have access to an old MX-113, and an MR-73 and wondered if anyone knew if the bottom cover from either one is interchangeable with the 110? If anyone had a 110 they are parting out, that would be very nice...!
    Thanks,
    Paul

2. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

I doubt those you have access to would be a fit for the MX-110 (the chassis on the MX-113 is 15"W and the MX-110 is 16). Dunno about the MR-73. Besides, even if they were the same size, the differences in physical stamping characteristics of the chassis could and likely be different.

Contact Terry DeWick and inquire if he has one available (or Audio Classics in NY). Can't hurt & really, the better bet.

Best Sir,

Bob

Paul Woods likes this.
  3. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Did you try calling McIntosh? That may have one buried somewhere. You never know!

(800) 538-6576

RiCat and Paul Woods like this.
  4. Psychoaudio

Psychoaudio Active Member

me too. Perhaps somebody can fabricate.

My first post on this forum. Found this thread on while searching google. We're on the same boat. Perhaps we can have someone fabricate a couple and maybe save a little at the same time. I have a couple of metal fab outfits in mind Message me if you would like to coordinate. Thank you

5. Paul Woods

Thanks Bob!
    I recently had Terry work on my old C-22, and asked him about the possibility of finding one. I believe the word impossible might have been uttered... :)
    I also spoke with Ryan at AC, and he too seemed pessimistic about the chances...

Gosh darn-it! There has to be SOMEONE out there who has one of those that they are "parting out".
    The good news though, is that probably very few people are needing the part I need, so if one does ever come up, I should be in luck.
    The sad thing is, the guy who was working on the piece died while it was apart, and his kids threw things away that they didn't recognize.
    I told them that I'd dumpster dive for what I was looking for, but it was too late.
    Besides, they had more important things to deal with than the bottom of my pre-amp...
    Thanks again for your kind response.
    Peace,
    Paul

6. Paul Woods

You know, I didn't...
    I just assumed that the unit was so old, that it'd be hopeless to call Mac.
    But, you know... It just can't hurt!

I'll call them Tuesday!

Peace,

Paul

7. Psychoaudio

Paul. I need one too. The covers are also different depending on which series you have. Mine is the Z series. I think the best way is to request mx110 owners for measurements and have it fabricated.

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Bear in mind these classics seldom get parted out. Unless severely gone, their owners are much more likely to take heroic measures to keep them alive. I wish you utmost success at finding a bottom plate. A complete, well serviced McIntosh item is a fine one to own.

Psychoaudio likes this.
  9. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I had to get a plate from a mr71 to fit my mx110. Works fine. Found it on eBay

Rolltide and Psychoaudio like this.
  10. Psychoaudio

found a mr71 cover. just need to drill a couple of mounting holes but it fits perfectly thank you!!

11. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

My pleasure

12. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

If Mc factory does not have one, if they can not fabricate one and if you can not find one somewhere to buy...have one made. I do not know if it needs vent slots on the bottom plate but in any event any metal working shop can make one for you. Also an architectural metals shop could do it. Stainless steel comes in all Ga. and can be cut very accurately to fit. Hole alignment is easy and you could also paint it yourself. If you are not able to provide an accurate drawing just take the unit to the shop and let them measure it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.