McIntosh MX110 Power Knob

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kidklug, May 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kidklug

Kidklug Member Thread Starter

Hello all, I’ve recently gotten my fathers MX100 back from repair and it’s in working order. I look forward to suprising my father with it soon, but my tech was unable to track down the center power knob which went missing sometime back my dad tells me. This is the knob that sits in front of the balance control knob. Does anyone know the size of this part so that I might find a suitable replacement. One is on eBay at the moment says it is “1+1/8" x .57"”. Any ideas?

2. pigman

pigman Forum Resident

3. DPR

DPR Active Member

.740" wide x .540" deep on my 110z.

Also once you get it back it's a good idea to use a power strip to turn it on and off to save the wear on the 50+ yo power switch. I believe OE power switch's are no longer available..

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    McLover likes this.
  4. Kidklug

Thank you so much DPR. It dawned on me looking at images of the Mx110 that the knobs for the Bass and Treble are the same as the power/balance. If I’m not mistaken. I was able to find a set screw replacement that looks almost exact. It is from tubesandmore.com part P-K310. We’ll see if I can get the set screw to work with the splined shaft.

Thanks for the tip with the power switch, the engineer who worked on my unit ended up wiring the power in such away that it is always on bc he had discovered those power switches were easily broken and hard to come by. I have it connected to a power strip for turning it on and off.

DPR likes this.
  5. bresna

bresna Senior Member

When you had it serviced, did you have a thermistor installed in the power line? Best thing for a tube unit is a thermistor.

6. DPR

DPR Active Member

The power knob and balance knobs are separate. A knob inside a knob. So if your missing everything in the center position you’ll need both the balance and power knobs.

Update, they are the same as the bass and treble knobs. Get an inner and outer set and your gtg.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    McLover and Kidklug like this.
  7. Kidklug

[​IMG] DPR no just missing the top knob.

I’ll look into that Kevin Bresnahan. Thanks for the tip.

8. DPR

DPR Active Member

9. tst20

tst20 New Member

Hello, I am new to this site. I have recently purchased an MX110. I am missing the on/off, & bass knobs. I am in need of these knobs. I also will need the pot for the bass section, as the shaft has been broken off. I have tried audio classics. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

10. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Audio Classics lists parts 090-063, 090-064 & 090-065. Reverb lists 090-203. One of these part numbers has to be the right one.

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And these knobs are found on other period McIntosh equipment.

12. tst20

tst20 New Member

Thank you so much for the response.

13. tst20

tst20 New Member

Hello McLover, Can you tell me what other units may use these? Thanks in advance!

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

MX 113 and MX 114 do, the MA 5100 does, the C24 does.

15. tst20

tst20 New Member

Thank you! I am on a quest to find these knobs!

16. James1972

James1972 Well-Known Member

I've tried to find knobs in the past. Not an easy task. Good luck!

tst20 likes this.
  17. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

Same. A difficult task. I had a broken treble pot (knurled shaft) and missing knobs on my 110z and I believe the pot readily available and sourced from McIntosh's factory was a D-shaped shaft. Audioclassics was able to fix/swap out the pot, find an inner knob, and make it work. McIntosh factory directly or Audioclassics are your best bet. I didn't have any luck waiting around on one to show up on eBay. Download the service manual pdf and find the part codes. (http://www.tubebooks.org/file_downloads/McIntosh/MX110_service_manual.pdf) I believe the outer knob is 090-009 and the inner could be one of a couple. The treble pot available was 142-141 (500k). I believe the bass pot is 142-142.

The process of trying to restore a vintage piece of audio equipment has taught me that I'd probably have been better off just biting the bullet on the front end. Whatever savings I ended up with were easily swallowed up by time and effort. But its been a learning experience for sure.

McLover likes this.
  18. plimpington2

plimpington2 Forum Resident

I discovered vintage tube amp rehab just a couple of months ago and it has TOTALLY rekindled my love of the hobby.

Tbh, I was getting tired of spending more and more money on better and better stuff, none of which was bringing me any sustained joy. Each step up was accompanied by a jolt of more enjoyment . . . Only to be quickly acclimated and settled into the background . . . Like using slightly more heroin. More heroin isn’t “better”. It’s just “more” . . . And obtained mostly because you HAVE to.

But I SWEAR to you, biting sounds as good as rehabbing an old amp and getting it up and running.

tst20 likes this.
  19. tst20

tst20 New Member

Thank you for the info!! I appreciate it. I have contacted Audio Classics & they are supposed to get back to me. I gave the parts guy the list of what I need. I don't think the pots are going to be hard to get, It's the knobs!!

Sane Man likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.