McIntosh

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by misterdecibel, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

your passion is intoxicating. or should I say, YOUR passion is INTOXICATING

I like BOSE, I think they are a fine company. I might get a pair of their SPEAKERS for OUTSIDE this SUMMER. If I was a DOCTOR I would gladly by an all Mac system and a Porsche.

Rolltide and Ron P. like this.
  2. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

:tiphat:

Ron P. and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

.....skip the Mc and buy the Porsche....

wait......I thought doctors bought McIntosh and Mercedes?

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

All remarks which contain "you're too young to understand" or "I guess you're just not listening" are going to come off as pedantic. I'll skip commenting on your style of putting every thought on a new line; I can't win 'em all after all. The point is, he wasn't disagreeing with you on anything substantial, and you let him have it. He actually admits to owning products from the company you're accusing him of bashing.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  5. Analogman

Not bashing anyone (or letting them "have it")
    Sorry you took it that way
    Relax

6. teag

teag Forum Resident

Who really cares about people's labels? We who have McIntosh equipment and love it can be secure in knowing how great it is. Again, there are lots of good brands out there.

I used to listen to Bose 601's, now in my closet for potential use as a 3rd or 4th system. Also had a Techniques receiver once. These were all good in my mind at one time. But the McIntosh stuff is the best for me.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  7. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I have certainly heard very few people that own McIntosh equipment say anything negative about it. Most that are critical of McIntosh are very much on the outside looking in. Many, if not most, that own either Bose speakers or equipment move on to something else.

McIntosh's pricing strategy has a lot to do with brand management. As do all high end retailors. One thing is certain, if you are running Mac's you were not looking to get the best bank for your buck, just the best bang.

8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered Thread Starter

I started the thread, feel free to derail/hijack as you please.

9. Analogman

You are too kind!
    Thank you for your lenient tolerance!
    :wave:

10. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I have some 901's and have spent a lot of time with a bud's 301's ......... well they do fill the room with warm sound. Kindest thing I can say 'bout that.:shrug:

11. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered Thread Starter

One could similarly suggest that the hardcore partisans of McIntosh (or Bose) equipment haven't heard anything else.

Ron P. likes this.
  12. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yeah, McIntosh lovers started out with $5K receivers and amps. Didn't listen to anything else....:shh:

Rolltide, 62caddy and Slick Willie like this.
  13. Analogman

Yes, one could
    Or similarly, anything else for that matter
    (but they generally are not the ones doing the bashing)

McIntosh is not unlike like Rolls-Royce, never did need much prime time advertising

The quality spoke (and sold) for itself (to anyone that actually heard it), for decades

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    McLover likes this.
  14. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Since I bought the C32 preamp . I have had trouble sleeping .....I'm either too excited or wanting to play it!!!

Sometimes there is a come down from buying some equipment. Not this if anything , the excitement is getting more & more . From this moment on as long as my equipment works it's staying forever.

No more crazy upgrading . It plays my music clear , clean & powerful!

Rolltide, 62caddy, beowulf and 2 others like this.
  15. Adam Guy

Adam Guy Forum Resident

When I hooked up my Terry DeWick updated C20 and GGC MC275 to a pair of Tannoy DC monitors, I FINALLY knew what MUSIC was supposed to sound like. I've never been the same. The resident MC225 ain't too shabby either....;)
    I will never go back to using modern hifi gear ie Cary, VTL, Jolida, Aesthetix, Audio Research, Etc. IMHO high end audio technology has not advanced so much since the early 60's.

The Good Guy, I have also been staying up way to late! I think my production at work is suffering, lol, since I discovered how incredible vintage Mac tube gear can sound. I had the C32 for awhile too. A great preamp for sure.
    Once you go Mac, the music sounds so good its hard to ever go back...

16. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Well yes certainly, however the Amplifier Clinic program had been essential part of driving the message home in the earlier days of high fidelity. The testing of equipment before the public is impartial and was a real boon to McIntosh's credibility in the eyes of the consumer.

McIntosh's single best "salesman" was the McIntosh owner himself.

nm_west likes this.
  17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Agree with you - I have had no desire to "upgrade" or seek out a new preamp or amp since I bought the C2300 and MC402 - and that was 8 years ago! Matched with the VPI Classic 3 it sounds great.

The Good Guy likes this.
  18. Analogman

Yes
    Good point about a very cool thing we'll not see the like of again

Remember Klipsch and AR's demos and events as well?

You are making me a little sad now, reminiscing 'bout days of old

19. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

The cool thing Klipsch still does, is hold it's annual pilgrimage, which I've attended once. It's a great gathering for Klipsch lovers.

Apologies for the off topic reply, and to Ron P. for my earlier "passionate" statements that I made in haste.

20. Analogman

Wish I had attended one when P.W.K. was still alive...........now, it's almost like a memorial or a funeral............
    Sad what has happened to Klipsch

21. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I don't know, I think they've done well with keeping up with the times with ear buds etc., but also keeping their Heritage line in tact.

22. Analogman

Barely, and in theory only
    I just went to Klipsch's site and used the dealer directory to find a Heritage dealer near me
    Results are either all installers (A/V) or Fry's and Best Buy (Chinese Klipsch)
    I live only about 15 minutes from San Francisco..........good luck finding anyone with Heritage on the floor or in stock in any meaningful way
    It's primarily "we can order that for you" now
    Been that way for a long time
    At least out here on the Left Coast (my area of it anyway)
    Virtually no retail space presence
    I think after Valerie passes that'll be about it for Heritage, unless they are realizing enough sales of it through commercial installs
    "They" were chomping at the bit for a long time to "reorganize" that company; the original spirit is long gone now................it's just another "brand"
    And that's sad

I sincerely hope that Mac remains intact under their new management/ownership; so far, so good

utahusker likes this.
  23. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Just pointing out the value of buying used. I am not a doctor, nor incredibly wealthy, but I currently own a Mac amp and pre-amp, and I used to own a Porsche Boxter S in mint condition, all bought used.

utahusker likes this.
  24. Analogman

A wonderful collateral benefit of one upmanship
    Isn't it great?

25. scorpio

scorpio Member

Or we can start another discussion, which type of doctor? I own McIntosh Equipment, and I am a doctor, but not in medecine, only a lowly scientist (probably why I bought my mc's second hand...).
    And I don't necessarily think it's the best in the world, but it's damn good, super reliable, trouble free etc...

utahusker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.