McIntosh

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by misterdecibel, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I have several friends who are doctors and none of them own any Mac equipment.

Eric Weinraub likes this.
  2. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

I have no idea what the "best" electronics are anymore.

Whether the "best" is also the most expensive, is another question altogether.

3. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think the fact that they're still making huge super-high efficiency speakers like the Heritage products at all should be impressive. Pointing out customers probably have to order them and can't stroll into stores to audition them is pretty glass-half-full, don't you think? I'm sure the production rate is in line with the demand.

I do roll my eyes when dealers tell me they have to order things though. I'm always tempted to explain to them that the only reason I didn't mail order it myself and not pay sales tax is for the instant gratification, if ordering is going to be involved I'll just cut out the middle man!

4. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Not really, just the way it is
    Ordering is one thing; waiting on the "just in time" building of your speakers is another
    Fair number of stories of people just saying "screw it" and giving up

And aside from that, who in the hell wants to order a relatively expensive pair of loudspeakers (and BIG, I doubt the shipping is cheap, built into the price or not) that they can't hear first? (you know they're not the same system that they used to be, no guarantees you'll like 'em)

Dealer going to take them back if you don't?

It's over, accept it, same as top drawer consumer JBL (unless you live in Japan)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    motorcitydave likes this.
  5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

So are you saying Klipsch should just build warehouses full of La Scalas, with an "if you build it, they will come" mindset, or are you saying they just shouldn't bother at all?

Seems their current model is pretty consistent with how niche products are sold.

6. Analogman

Not saying that at all
    I said, and meant, what I wrote
    The fact of the matter is, that for all intents and purposes, the Klipsch Heritage line is on it's last legs as far as company support for it, and will soon be gone altogether
    "Niche" or no "niche"
    And you can take that to the bank
    That's what I was saying
    So, if anyone wants a (new) pair, better get them now (and be prepared to wait, if they get them at all)
    Heritage is only a "niche" product now because few people (from a manufacturer's perspective) want it
    Didn't use to be that way, for almost 40 years
    Even as a "niche" product I doubt that it is economically viable; more of a reverse loss leader than anything else
    And still breathing thanks to Miss Valerie's loyalty, advocacy and defense of her husband's legacy
    I speculated, and I'll say it more clearly; I would be willing to bet almost anything that it (the Heritage line) owes in whole part it's continued existence to the fact that Miss Valerie is still alive (no disrespect to Paul Klipsch's widow)

That's just the way it is; didn't say I was happy about it
    Don't understand why you look for an argument in every post I make

7. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered Thread Starter

My point is that prejudice runs both ways.

It is my view that McIntosh and Bose deserve their reputations, both good and bad.

And like Rolls-Royce, who have sold a significant percentage of their cars without a test drive, I imagine that a substantial portion of McIntosh sales were based on reputation rather than comparative audition.

8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered Thread Starter

Even during the good old days of hifi Klipsch dealers didn't keep deep stock of anything bigger than the Heresy or maybe Cornwall. People who want Klipschorns are going to specify the wood veneer and grille cloth color, I doubt the dealers in even the biggest markets had much more than the demo pair on hand.

9. Analogman

As was mine

That goes without saying, with all things, but is only credible when the bad comes from a source that has actually made contact with the subject under discussion
    We have digressed from the original thesis
    Their respective reputations precedes them, word of mouth, not so much anymore in today's rags
    Their is a vanity component at work with these two as well, not so much for BOSE

10. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I don't think Valerie has much input or interest in what her deceased husband's speaker company does. I'm speaking from a place of being a 40 + year ownership of Klipsch products, and attending a pilgrimage at the new headquarters in Indianapolis.

I spoke to individuals at the factory that were there with Paul in the early years, and were still with the company. The engineers in the R & D dept. were very passionate and proud of all of their products, be it new or old. The vibe was very positive.

11. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Bose system in the Porsche?

Dennis0675 likes this.
  12. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

I never much considered hi fi systems "vanity" items - at least not in the way that personal accoutrements are.

13. Analogman

I concur, you are correct, but the factory at Hope was busy all week long building "BR" and "decorator" versions of the money maker, high volume boxes
    That, and sound reinforcement/club venue product

14. Analogman

Then we'll call them "status" goods, for some

15. Analogman

You just might be surprised, but I'm sure it's waning with time and recent changes in ownership

That's good to hear
    Unfortunately, they won't be the ones making board room decisions, especially now that Klipsch has been "acquired"

16. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

For some, I daresay is true.

I bet Gordon Gow would have gotten a chuckle from that. :)

17. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

My dad was a doctor and he never had a McIntosh system, but his son did. ;)

18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

this car

[​IMG]

Came with this stereo

[​IMG]

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

These speakers gave me cause to doubt the company. Seems like it was over the top for the sake of going over the top.

Ron P. and utahusker like this.
  20. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Problem with that is: I immediately picture that, on turning the ignition, the wipers start flicking and the windscreen lights up blue.:)

Ron P. and Slick Willie like this.
  21. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

So have you heard any of their equipment ? Yes or No.

22. Corey Louis

Corey Louis Active Member

Yes, its called expensive hifi, and its wonderfully exuberant and outrageous and we all love it, in a McIntosh world its go big or go home, or would u like to see the even more expensive bling they are going up against (dan d'agostino cough cough)

62caddy likes this.
  23. Analogman

What's "over the top" about a line array speaker design (except that for the most part only serious hobbyist are building them)? Been popular (and effective) for years, same as transmission lines:

https://www.google.com/search?q=audioxpress do it yourself line array&biw=1120&bih=617&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Zrj5VPPlAsfxoATF9ILQCw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&dpr=1.5#imgdii=_

You'd see them more often if they weren't so difficult/expensive to ship
    [​IMG]

24. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Quite frankly I'm offended by the question.

Rolltide likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.