Melancholic music wanted.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by redfloatboat, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

2. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

Early Free is eerie stuff, more emotional shadow than light....

3. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

Know the feeling of the personal song all too well... if you are recognizing your emotions your heart is healing!

4. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Beautiful album, waves of sadness and magical beauty, listening to the album it's like swimming into an ocean
    of hypnotic darkness. An ultimate winter album and magnificent masterpiece.

The Cure - Plainsong

vertigone, Davey and Nice Marmot like this.
  5. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I remember that it wasn't until Wish that it was even thought that Robert Smith could write anything uplifting.

6. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Like I said, agree to disagree. And posting links to old dinosaurs Rolling Stone or Billboard does not change that (or a quote from, um, The Rumpus? Lol). Quoting a Cure album as melancholy is just lazy because ooh, they helped invent a genre called Goth. Oh my, the sadness!

No, you take Disintegration and I will take "Here Comes Everybody". An album that captures melancholy in every sense; lyrically, instrumentally, atmospherically and consistently through two sides of vinyl, all while never over staying its welcome. Also, The Wake helped push Dream and Indie Pop to more emotional and sad (ie twee) territories, impacting pretty much every artist on Sarah Records to many of the current stable of indie pop and rock artists.

7. Nice Marmot

Wow, helping create a whole genre means nothing?

8. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

What is your fixation with win/lose, either/or? Is this a competition? Is the thread titled "What is the Most Melancholy Album of All Time?"

The bunk, indeed.

9. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Beck - Morning Phase

10. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

It all depends on the genre ;)

[​IMG]

11. peteham

peteham Senior Member

The first three David Ackles records. Cold Spring Harbor by Billy Joel. Shoot Out The Lights by Richard + Linda Thompson. Pink Floyd - The Final Cut. John Martyn - Grace & Danger.

12. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Look, I like The Cure. I do. But for every great song (Pictures of You, Boys Don't Cry and In Between Days) you get about three crap songs (Love Cats, Hot Hot Hot, Kyoto Song, Six Different Ways, etc etc). My argument is due to the inconsistent songwriting and multi genre experimentation, it is impossible to say a Cure album is anyone thing. Dream Pop, Post Punk, Goth, Proto Industrial or Melancholic.

My two cents.

13. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

The new record by the band Daughter Not To Disappear is wonderfully mope worthy. Truly dire, yet oddly life affirming. Try some acoustic Swans too, such as Bright Light From The Mouth of Infinity.

Front 242 Addict and jamesc like this.
  14. Nice Marmot

So Disintegration is not sad enough because goth is trite? That hints at prentention.... like The Cure was not true enough to the ethos of melancholy.

15. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I feel dumb but I finally started listening to this album in the past few months and there's two that really grabbed me that I think the OP will like:

16. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

17. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

John Martyn's first album 'London Conversation' has a melancholic feel.

18. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

I still think this is Joy Division's darkest song:

Front 242 Addict and ramdom like this.
  19. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

I think it's rather interesting that this has largely turned into a Mope Rock thread. There's this genre called the Blues too. You know - Born Under a Bad Sign, Whipping Post, Castles Made of Sand

Someone did mention Robin Trower -- that qualifies.

20. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

R.E.M. - Sweetness Follows

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  21. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

Here's my suggestion:

[​IMG]

Vinyl Addict and jamesc like this.
  22. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

That is right. For me melancholy in music is more then sad lyrics, mumbled singing and black eyeliner. There needs to be the whole package. I am not saying some songs off of Disintegration do not fit this criteria, but as an entire album (and thus a band) it does not.

I have posted multiple examples in one of my posts to what I think fits this category so feel free to pick my suggestions apart.

23. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I think you're the only one in this thread who has the motivation (for some reason) to do that.

Nice Marmot likes this.
  24. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

Try some Dock Boggs. Music to slit your wrists to.

25. Nice Marmot

There's nothing to pick apart. You seem to hung up that goth was an image and that The Cure exploited it. You're making this assumption retrospectively and saying that The Cure was way too cheery in a time when artists like Huey Lewis, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Prince, and Phil Collins were the mainstream stars.

Does this sum it up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.