Meltdown: King Crimson, Live in Mexico

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimbino, Aug 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Looks promising. A much better way to edit the show than last time.

ponkine likes this.
  2. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

Only knock I have is a some noticeable camera wobble during heavier sections as the combined force of the band seems to make the cameras on the back row wobble a bit. You can notice it during Fripps solo a bit. By no means a bother just something I noticed.

What I think I like most - the way the cameras are set up feel very, very intimate as though you’re standing next to the band which is really cool. While I enjoyed radical action, this is just a further step up!

3. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

And we’re back....

Version is identical to what came out last week except Fripps solo is from a different performance than the take from the other day, it now matches the audio on Spotify. I prefer the first version, but such is life!

4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Seems like they accidently put out the wrong version the first time around.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  5. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

MUCH BETTER than the awful editing style of 'Radical Action'.

Now we're talking!

:righton:

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  6. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

Only weird part is during Fripps solo there are random sync issues on the wide shots where what he’s playing on film doesn’t match the audio, issue did not exist on the other version so a bit odd. Question is whether the original was a complete performance and then for this version they pasted in a different solo or the other way around?

Tim Bucknall, albertop and Jimbino like this.
  7. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I had this on pre order with amazon.ca.
    Today, the order has disappeared.
    Never had that happen before.
    They are stating currently unavailable.
    I am in contact with their customer service and they have asked me a few questions.
    Waiting to see what happened.
    In the meantime, I just ordered it from DGM site.

8. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

This has happened to me with increasing frequency on Amazon.ca. recent examples are Jason Isbell Live at the Ryman and Dave Davies Decade. Frustrating.

Daryl M likes this.
  9. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

Who knows - that’s why I’ve always just gone straight to the source and done it through inner knot as a US customer. Between inner knot and burning shed, those are the recommended avenues for Kc physical releases....if you want digital only, go iTunes

10. John Kelman

John Kelman Writer/Photographer, AAJ Senior Contributor

[​IMG]

My review of King Crimson's upcoming Meltdown (Live in Mexico City), today at All About Jazz.

Something happened to King Crimson between June 28, 2017 in Chicago, IL and the band's five-night run from July 14 to 19 (with a night off on the 17th), that same year, in Mexico City. Both engagements were exceptional, with the Chicago performance captured on Official Bootleg: Live In Chicago, June 28th, 2017 (DGM Live, 2017), and now, with Meltdown (Live in Mexico City) serving as an audio and video document of the best performances from those five Mexican nights (and more).

Chicago was undeniably extraordinary, so much so that the band decided to hold off the planned release of the more fully produced Live In Vienna, December 1st, 2016 (Panegyric), already released in Japan in a slightly different form, until Spring 2018, so that they could squeeze the Chicago soundboard recording into the schedule just four months after it was recorded, in October, 2017. Still, comparing it to Meltdown renders emphatically that, in those 15 days between the two gigs, something did, indeed, happen.

In Meltdown's liners (largely taken from sole original member, guitarist/keyboardist Robert Fripp's diaries from the time), Fripp affirms that something significant certainly did take place during those five Mexico City shows (also described in his Vienna notes):

"The Seven-Headed Beast (2014) can be seen as KC 8.1 and Jeremy [Stacey] replacing Bill [Rieflin] (2016) as 8.2. So, from one point of view, the present Octet might be 8.3. For me, it's something more, and qualitatively different: King Crimson v. 9.1. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts, the parts added together already impressive. But the focus of my interest is the overall performance of the group. In this incarnation there is no member/s who believes themself to be special, or their contribution privileged in some way."

For those who have followed the seemingly relentless growth of King Crimson 8.x, since reemerging in 2013 with its three-drummer frontline (playing its first dates in the USA in the fall of the following year, including two mind-blowing shows at San Francisco's The Warfield), comparing these two live documents from just a couple weeks apart demonstrates how, even in such a relatively brief period of time, King Crimson has continued to evolve and, from an improvisational perspective, open up to an even greater extent. But it's also important to note that Crimson's evolution from 8.1 to 9 has been both organic and not without its challenges.

Continue reading here...

11. Kim Olesen

I always enjoy your meticolous reviews :)

Looking much forward to this set.

Tim Bucknall and John Kelman like this.
  12. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

I’ll put it this way: John’s King Crimson reviews have never saved me money.

13. Kim Olesen

:D

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  14. John Kelman

Sorry to make you spend your money...but the real question is: do you ever regret it (I hope not!)?

Thanks again!
    J

15. John Kelman

Many thanks for the kind words, Kim; I've no doubt you're gonna love this set!

Tim Bucknall and Kim Olesen like this.
  16. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

Not yet!

Tim Bucknall and John Kelman like this.
  17. John Kelman

Glad to hear it!

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  18. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Thanks for the review: for one thing, I didn’t know until reading it that the CD content is also included on the blu-ray. That’s a nice touch.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  19. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

Yeah that’s awesome they included the CD audio on the Blu Ray.....as a non Blu Ray person, I wish they had offered a dvd version like they did with radical, but I guess this will push me to grab a Blu Ray drive for the computer...

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  20. John Kelman

It's well worth it, since this is, as I've said elsewhere, this meatiest sounding live album from this version of Crim, IMHO. As for DVD? Well, they'd not have been able to offer the surround sound and stereo mixes of the video in 24/96 (at least, I don't think); and a DVD would definitely not be able to hold the high res version of the three CDs.

It's tough, nowadays, for folks to decide what formats to offer, how many permutations/combinations of them in collected packages like this, etc. But given that you can buy a decent, inexpensive Blu Ray player/writer for around $100 (CAD) - I grabbed an ASUS to hang off my Mac - and reasonably priced (and even better quality) BR players for your A/V system are also quite inexpensive, I know there are some folks who are reticent to make the leap, but I think it's a good decision to make these days, as more and more reissues (the Lennon Imagine Ultimate Collection (Super Deluxe), upcoming Beatles White Album Super Deluxe) and the Steven Wilson remixes of XTC, to name a few) are restricting themselves, for no other reason than space. Just my opinion, of course, but it's such an inexpensive thing to do nowadays, that I don't understand, to be honest, exactly why folks are so hesitant or, in some cases, militant about now upgrading.

Actually, for my info: maybe some folks who are militant about not upgrading to BR could give me their reasons. I mean, it doesn't matter to me either way what people do, as it's their right to do whatever works for them; but I do wonder why some folks are so vehement in their resistance. So, with all respect intended, your reasons would be enlightening to me. Thanks, in advance, for that.

21. That's much better than the 2015 footage from Radical Action..., it feels like I'm back at the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam with much better seats.

Tim Bucknall, ponkine and Kalli like this.
  22. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

^^^^laziness mostly and the fact that i have all my media on either my external drive or on dvd. Coupled with the fact that my computer is Mac and I would have to buy additional hardware to play it (this is apples fault as they do not have drives in their computers that support Blu Ray), that has been what’s driven my resistance. But yes the confluence of those two things is what does it for me.....buying a player or external Blu Ray drive is not expensive as you have mentioned in the long run given more things are migrating to that format, just at first this will be my only thing on Blu Ray.

Then again, when I bought a record player I only had two vinyls, and now I’ve increased that exponentially, so in a way that’s the same difference.

I mean don’t get me wrong, I was buying this release regardless, just my lazy mind wanted it on dvd so I could push off going Blu Ray a while longer.

23. Kim Olesen

+1

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  24. John Kelman

Just FYI, I used a Mac also, but the software to play the blu ray isn't expensive. You can currently get Macgo at 50% off, so $39.95.

One note: to rip audio for playing, say, on your DAP, you'll need something to get past Blu Ray security. But I use MakeMV for that, then DVD Audio Extractor to then extract the audio files from the BR files that are put on your hard drive.

All told, to be able to watch and rip BR material on my Mac, I've spent about $200. But that's a lifetime (well, as long as the BR lasts...I have had to replace one but that's worth about half of that price) cost.

As for this being your only thing on BR? I get that...but given where things seem to be going, chances are you may find yourself buying more in future. There's also some great stuff being released on Blu Ray Pure Audio, which works for me as I can rip them to my DAP. I don't have the capability, despite having many of them, of ripping SACDs.

If you are looking for any more info about putting a BR player/writer onto your Mac, feel free to PM me; happy to help!

...and thanks for the explanation. Kinda figured it was that (and I hear ya!). I must admit that when I went Mac (after a lifetime with Windows and finally having enough!) in 2014, I was surprised/concerned that there was no BR support...but it was easily solved and the process of playing and, in particular, ripping audio from BRs has become so second nature I can almost do it in my sleep.

Almost ;)

Cheers,
    J

Tim Bucknall, Kim Olesen and kenticus like this.
  25. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Mine just shipped! :)

John Kelman, murrays and kenticus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.