Memories of locally produced music video shows

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ricebear, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricebear

ricebear Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I remember. This might have been on the episode that had nothing but L.A. bands on it- except for Robert Plant "Pink And Black". Do you remember when they showed a record store shopping spree? I don't know the location- probably Tower. Such a cool show. The later it got, the less commercial the music. First time I heard Zappa, Weather Report and Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Wolfeman likes this.
  2. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Our local cable channel had a Friday late night video program in the late 70s to early 80s. Can't remember the name or the two guys in front of the camer except that they were from North Vancouver (A suburb across the Lion's Gate Bridge). The show was unique for these two guys - one was a straight up nerd geek who loved the local punk scene and the other was a trendier, flashier guy who was hip to the more power pop new wave scene.

I saw some very cool videos through these two that I wouldn't see on the mainstream channels. They also clued a lot of us suburban guys into what was coming up in Vancouver.

3. dotheDVDeed

dotheDVDeed Forum Resident

Did Hollywood Heartbeat (1980-ish) predate Goodnight L.A?

Here's a clip from Hollywood Heartbeat with Bob Welch introducing a local band called the Nu Kats. (Sorry poor quality from VHS)

Sloppily editted--it opens on a bit of the Clash's London Calling.

Other Local Bands featured on Hollywood Heartbeat:
    Plimsouls--Zero Hour
    https://youtu.be/xfhki5ts43A

Go-Go's--We Got The Beat
    https://youtu.be/tVpoH74yF_4

Kingbees--My Mistake
    https://youtu.be/HkhPSTnZ1cU

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  4. Wolfeman

Wolfeman New Member

It weird, because I remember the record store shopping spree but im trying to figure out if the Henry Rollins interview from his convertible trash caddy was on this show. There was an interview/music videos episode where they drove around LA and he just talked **** in a convertible caddy around Venice, etc and then they played local bands but not just punk. Such a cool time for music that had never been invented. New kids now are so missing out, but there still is always an underground if you care enough to find it. Well if you are ever back in LA, I definitely owe you a drink. DM me for sure - not often I run into somebody who knows this much of what I grew up on. Ill pop back in here again. Cheers - Wolfeman

5. ricebear

If you find a video copy of an episode, I would love to see it!

6. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

I was a big fan of Goodnight LA, remember chasing it around from week to week to tape it. Some weeks it wasn't on. I think I saw Freur's "Doot Doot" for the first time there.
    I remember their all Beatles "episode". What a great outlet for new music back then. It put MTV to shame. I think I still have some tapes in the garage, will have to check this weekend.
    Growing up in Detroit, we had WABX Tube Works, which hosted live bands , Alice Cooper, Johnny Winter, Free, etc

7. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

8. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Nite Dreems?

9. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Or Soundproof?

10. ricebear

Please check!!! I would die to see it again after 30 years!

11. ricebear

YES!! They always showed the long versions of Cabaret Voltaire videos.

CBC likes this.
  12. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I remember Nite Dreems very well - watched all of the video shows but it was Soundproof I was thinking of! Very cool collection of clips on that video. Thanks for the link. Did I recall this show properly? Clearly, from looking at the video, they had different hosts over the years.

13. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Toronto Rocks began in 1984, was on at 4pm Monday-Friday and was really popular. Had to look at wiki to see when it ended, 1990.

14. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

In Boston there was a local music video show called "Rage TV;" it was on late at night on WSBK.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

Here's another Rage TV segment

16. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

Boston also had a low-power UHF station that carried the Jukebox Network. You called a 900 number to request a music video and after a while it would appear. I requested Siouxsie and the Banshees' "Kiss Them for Me" and it appeared about a half-hour after my call.

17. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

Already mentioned in this thread but worth repeating...Boston's biggest claim to fame in this arena was the short-lived WVJV-TV (V-66), a full-power UHF station on Channel 66 that aired nonstop music video programming. Like many MTV competitors, they were limited to airing videos that were not under exclusive agreements with the music video giant. It was a dismal failure financially and the owners sold out to Home Shopping Network. There are many fond memories of the station, and a documentary about V-66 was in development a few years ago.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  18. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Almost forget MTV's "120 Minutes", one of the only shows worth watching on that channel.

19. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Not sure if it was locally-produced, but I think it was. We had Bombshelter Videos in Seattle.

20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    Karnak likes this.
  21. ricebear

Any luck finding those tapes, CBC?

22. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

The original video to the song "Don't Wanna Go To School" by Extreme was filmed at the middle school of my home town. This was of course several years before they hit it big with those two top 10 hits and their appearance at the Freddie Mercury tribute concert...

I believe this first appeared on MTV's Basement Tapes about three or four years they cut their first album on A&M.

EDIT: Oops, noticed it the OP asked for SHOWS, not individual videos. Well, enjoy anyway :D

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  23. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

I started my YouTube channel with the videos I collected prior to the launch of MTV. Two of the best pre-MTV shows I collected were "Hollywood Heartbeat" hosted originally by Mackenzie Philips but later replaced by Bob Welch. It was produced in LA but I guess I can't call it a "local show". I also have a lot of videos from "Rock World" which is also from that same 1979-80 era. I'm always digging around for old Beta tapes that might have shows like you've mentioned.

24. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Anyone remember New Wave Theater? That's what discerning deviants were watching in L.A. in the early 80's.

[​IMG]

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I remember a show called the Now Explosion in the early 70's. They would show the few videos that existed and then the made their own videos, footage of people in a park, fireworks, cars on a highway, etc.

Later, Philly mainstay Jerry Blavat tried to do an abortive show in the ABC affiliate, it's the source of that incredibly stupid video of Hall & Oates lip syncing She's Gone while they sit in chairs and a girl in a bizarre leotard runs around behind them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.