Memories of locally produced music video shows

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ricebear, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

In the S.F. Bay Area, in the 1980's was a series called California Music Channel that aired on UHF station KTSF, channel 26. It broadcast various music videos in a half hour format, with a host named Rick Kurkjian. The program initially was a half hour, and usually followed a cartoon series like Dudley Do-Right and Friends. There was also a program in the early 80's in S.F., also on KTSF, called Videowest, that would show videos by Huey Lewis (pre "Sports"), John Cougar, Translator, and more.

Marshall

My web article on Five Most Stunning U.S. TV Game Show Moments:
    http://marshfish.hubpages.com/hub/Five-Most-Stunning-US-TV-Game-Show-Moments

geo50000 likes this.
  2. Wolfeman

Wolfeman New Member

@ricebear

3. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

I found a few (though I swear I had more than this) Working on getting a working VHS machine next...

4. Wolfeman

Wolfeman New Member

@ricebear - you might ask this guy. Looks like he has a least 1 tape from the show

5. ricebear

ricebear Forum Resident Thread Starter

30 years ago this month, "Goodnight L.A." signed off with no warning, no nothin'. Wish I had some tapes to watch in remembrance... I did contact the Surf Punks guy a long time ago- never heard back...

Wolfeman likes this.
  6. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Although ABC Rocks was not a local music video show, I got to play an extra in one of their bumper videos shot in SF. It was one in a mechanic shop. They shot two videos, one with mechanics dancing around a car, ala Greased Lightning and one where an old lady brings in her car and a mechanic opens the hood. I am in the back working on a car mounted on an elevated grease rack, while they open the hood to expose the show logo. Could not find the bumper on youtube, but here is the show's intro:

7. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

There was a local telethon called Sumter Crimestoppers that had "music videos" which included employees of local businesses lip-syncing to popular hits of the day. For example, the local newspaper did "Dirty Laundry", the local YMCA did "YMCA", a high school history teacher did "We Didn't Start the Fire",etc. I tried to find footage on the internet and there is NOTHING.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. Wolfeman

Wolfeman New Member

I don't come here often, but when Bowie died - I remember being 12 or 13 and Goodnight LA played Ashes To Ashes - Wow

The videos they played had a quietness to them, not disturbing at 1am in LA but memorizing. Ones you never forget - especially this one. Anyway, hope you still enjoy it like I do

MikaelaArsenault, Vidiot and CBC like this.
  9. Wolfeman

Wolfeman New Member

10. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

My brother worked on a San Diego based public access show in the 90's called "Music Underground". It was hosted by Dale Lawrence.

...Judging by the end credits this episode was after my brother left.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  11. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Damn searched thru my locker full of old VHS tapes for any Goodnight LA episodes, I thought I'd held onto them, but couldn't find any, may have taped over them...I could kick myself now... =(

12. solrac9

solrac9 New Member

Or was the guy on the post the other show...Friday night videos ?

13. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

About twenty years ago there was a public access show in Austin called "The Show With No Name". While they played a variety of oddball videos, they would also drop in a few obscure music videos from time to time.

Also, I remember back in the late '70s/early '80s that there was a movie channel called Showbiz (?) that used to air videos between movies. They showed a lot of the music videos from the Dire Straits "Making Movies" album.

14. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I instantly liked that within 30 seconds. Great stuff, thanks for alerting me to this great band I'd not heard prior!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.