Meridian MQA Poll

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brother_Rael, May 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member Thread Starter

MQA by Meridian poll - pick up to three that you think best fits where you're at with this latest innovation.

2. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Would it make sense to add an option for "I'd like to hear it first before deciding"?

pscreed, crispi and Brother_Rael like this.
  3. Brother_Rael

Done, with a couple more options on top!

Erik Tracy likes this.
  4. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

If it has an advantage over existing formats, it is bringing better quality sound to streaming music, so that should clearly be an option. Otherwise it's lossy, so basically MP3 for hi-res audio.

5. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

It sounds promising but is difficult to separate the science from the hype. Wait and see attitude.

pscreed and Billy Budapest like this.
  6. Erik Tracy

From the main MQA thread here, my understanding is that MQA is not lossy.

Am I reading that wrong?

7. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Yes.

8. Erik Tracy

9. Brother_Rael

I'd like to encourage all opinions here incidentally. Whether they are overwhelmingly positive, negative or all points in between re: MQA. Decisions about what constitute a threadcrap are moot if they're on topic as far as I'm concerned, so post away.

Keep it civil, and try to avoid "absolutes" please. Otherwise, let rip!

Robert C likes this.
  10. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Meridian says it is "audibly lossless", something which has also been said (by proponents) of a number of lossy compression schemes. I don't doubt that MQA is better than those, but it's not "data" lossless, only psychoacoustically "audibly" lossless. As I said, a better solution to streaming hi-res audio for sure. The stated goal of replicating the ADC's characteristics in the DAC also is admirable but I suspect mostly unachievable at this time.

11. Erik Tracy

It's civil...from my side - I just want to understand the underpinnings of Meridan's claims.

12. Erik Tracy

Got it.

So I take that to mean MQA's encoding scheme is not "numerically" lossless, but claimed to be audibly lossless.

All good.

13. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Although I wasn't there, apparently Bob Stuart clarified this at CES 2015, and it was reiterated at AXPONA. FWIW, the MQA demo at AXPONA was not universally liked.

Anyway, there is still only one choice that I can reasonably check (I haven't heard it so I reserve judgement); since one of its main stated goals is to provide a high-quality streaming audio experience I really think that choice should be there.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  14. Brother_Rael

Sorry Erik, my bad. It was more of a general comment than anything you'd said! Fret ye not. :)

15. David B.

David B. Forum Resident

Guess I need a new category: "I've heard it and thought it sounded great, but because of a highly flawed demo, I have no idea whether this format offers any advantage over existing ones."

My doubts about MQA are mostly the product of a glaringly deficient demo put on by Meridian personnel 2 nights ago. Here's what they did: On a $100k-plus all-Meridian system, they played a very well recorded CD-quality cut as a supposed "baseline." Then they played 3 cuts of classic studio material (Take 5, Enter Sandman, and an Ella/Satchmo duet) that had been remastered in MQA. The CD-quality cut was not repeated in MQA. And none of the MQA cuts were repeated in another format! The person from Meridian had no explanation for why we were not being offered any opportunity for comparison -- except to say the company was still working out the details of their demo. Kind of lame, IMO.

I left the event feeling that I had heard very high quality digital music reproduction, but having absolutely no idea whether what I heard would be worse than, the same as, or better than the same material in DSD or 24/96 or 24/192. This was such an obvious deficiency in the demo methodology that it made me suspicious of the whole thing, instead of excited.

All this is aside from lingering questions about whether the format will be employed by enough studios and remastering houses to gain critical mass and enjoy widespread adoption.

But again: in isolation, yes, MQA sounded very, very good.

--David B.

16. Brother_Rael

Understood, but I wanted to approach this from quite a general perspective, though I do get the point of MQA and its present focus on streaming. :thumbsup:

17. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Just when we are getting hi-rez downloads easily available, along come this to muddy the waters.
    Just what is needed to confuse the marketplace - A format war.

18. Brother_Rael

My thoughts exactly. Must be something in the local water... :wave:

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  19. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Exactly. I'm sure we can still find folks who claim 192K MP3 is "audibly lossless" too. If MQA was developed purely as a format to increase the quality of streaming music services it would be interesting. But rolling out a new lossy format in 2015 is like introducing a new style of horse-drawn buggy. Lossy formats only make sense in two situations: 1) when space is an issue 2) when its the mid 90's and lossless compression isn't around yet.

benjammin and Halloween_Jack like this.
  20. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The first story I heard of an MQA demo didn't even include the CD of different music as a baseline. At least Meridian is getting closer to the understanding that apples-to-apples comparisons are required for any demo like this to be taken seriously. The fact they didn't begin with the obvious conclusion might be troublesome though.

21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Groundbreaking (from what I have read) and reserving judgement - a fence-straddler. :)

Billy Budapest likes this.
  22. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

So, MQA is some form of trying to tart up streaming services, is that correct?
    If so, INSTA-fail for me. Only cause I have zero interest in streaming.

ls35a likes this.
  23. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

You want to hear MQA?

Grab a 24/192 track you have. Dither it down to 16/192. If you have a DAC capable of 384kHz, then up sample it to that with a minimal phase filter setting. Have a listen...

Compare that to the same 24/192 file downsampled to 24/48. Which is the same size as what that 16/192 would be compressed into.

Other than a few (IMO) minor tricks, that's really all that it is... As least that seems to be what articles and patents point to.

Personally I'd take a flat 24/48 that's compatible with everything... Or 24/96 if I really want to ensure I'm not missing anything. As for streaming, absolutely nothing wrong with 16/44 lossless CD and lower the risk of buffer underruns which some folks already complain of with Tidal - why bother risking even more dropouts with MQA at this time?

24. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I cant believe anyone would even bother trying to improve streaming. Its NOT for hifi listening and never ever will be, except for the few here. You are not representative of the masses, and the masses dont give a flying F*** about "Hi-Fi"!! You can take that to the bank.

25. Brother_Rael

Some interesting responses from this, admittedly really rather basic poll. I have to say that I am surprised at the number of responses who think there's already sufficient audio formats, or that Meridian are trying to create an alternative revenue stream ahead of any claimed enhanced sound quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.