Meridian MQA Poll

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brother_Rael, May 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodney sherman

rodney sherman Forum Resident

Teac UD-503. Remember that the Tidal software decodes the MQA before it is sent to the DAC. The DAC does not need to decode MQA.

2. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

What you are not saying, and what Meridian IS saying, is that software decoding is not full quality, because the decoding is not being "optimized"
    for the DAC. They clearly state that software decoding, in their world, is a compromise. In their words, it is not the "full experience".

Software decoding came about so quickly because they could not convince enough DAC manufacturers to write them checks. I had one in particular,
    a brand everyone here would know, among others, tell me it was a fee based money grab.

rbbert likes this.
  3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

You need a DAC that supports MQA to get the full time-domain optimization that MQA can do. It is that time domain optimization that I find the most interesting and potentially beneficial part of MQA. The software decode cannot optimize for the time domain because the software doesn't know what DAC is connected and the particular peculiar time domain properties of the DAC to optimize for that.

I have zero interest in trying MQA on a DAC that doesn't do the full deal time domain optimization. I also have very little desire to get a special DAC that supports that since I like my Schiit Multibit so much. So I'm in a catch-22 when it comes to trying MQA.

rodney sherman likes this.
  4. ServingTheMusic

No you are not. Just like most of us, see it for the con job it is.

art likes this.
  5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I don't see MQA as a con job at all. I do see as a technology that doesn't offer a free lunch unless you buy in all the way and get a DAC that fully supports the decoding.

The time domain optimization is what is most interesting to me. I do want to hear what that sort of time domain optimization sounds like. I'm curious. Curious enough to want to get a demo with a good DAC that supports MQA.

I've heard what I think might sound like some time domain optimization when listening to my Schiit multibit with MFSL recordings done on the original GAIN AD converter. And to a lesser degree to recordings done with the Pacific Microsonics AD converter (the converter that is used to make HDCD recordings). The GAIN AD converter was designed by Mike Moffat. The same Mike who is at Schiit and designing the Schiit multibit DACs. The GAIN AD converter has very similar filter, and I'm assuming similar time domain response, as the filter design used in the Schiit multibit DACs. I hear magical synergy when listening to those MFSL recordings on the Schiit Multibits. I'm wondering if that synergy is due to time domain style synergy, or what. If I listen to MQA on a good DAC and hear similar sound characteristics and similar magic then I'll have a big clue that the synergy and the sound that I like is rooted in time domain optimization. I also hear a similar sound and similar synergy with the HDCD titles and other recordings done on the Pacific Microsonics converter, but to a lesser degree as compared to the MFSL GAIN recordings.

My interest in MQA is mostly in exploring what that time domain optimization sounds like and trying to figure out if that has a relation to the magical sound I hear with some recordings on the Schiit multibits. If I hear that sort of synergistic sound happening with MQA on a good MQA DAC then I'll have to evaluate whether it is worth it to buy an additional good DAC just to support that for the few recordings I'll listen to in true MQA. No free lunch.

6. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

What about if time delay is not quite right between your speakers? As is often the case... just wondering.

7. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

That's the key isn't it?

If we're talking time domain accuracy, unless we correct speaker anomalies (which you see all the time in the Stereophile reviews/measurements) and of course the interactions with the room, what hope is there in hearing a difference with MQA and the miniscule effect from filter changes IMO?

I know MQA wants us all to believe that they can do something miraculous on the playback end with MQA firmware updates and whatnot. But if there's no evidence that such a thing could be done, and the hardware itself is obviously underpowered for true sophisticated time domain correction (eg. the Dragonfly DACs which I mentioned in my blog post), let's just make sure to calibrate our expectations appropriately.

By all means, try the DAC... It might just sound great although the reason could have nothing to do with MQA, time domain accuracy, "origami", or other catch phrases/thoughts MQA wants us to be excited about.

Tommy SB and art like this.
  8. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I've kinda given up on these streaming services, except to try out tracks and albums I don't already own.

For my own library, I'm just streaming using Subsonic. Works better on my iPhone and at work than any of the streaming services I've tried in the past, and no need to sync devices, pay for expensive subscriptions ($12 a year) or use any one vendor's goofy, goofed-up software (I'm looking at you, Amazon Music!).

Subsonic's own web player isn't great, but it's acceptable and presumably will keep getting better. There are multiple iPhone and Android apps - the one I'm currently using, AVSub, isn't too bad, but I'll probably try some others.

10. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

11. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

12. ServingTheMusic

NOBODY is happy with MQA except Meridian and DAC makers who hope to capitalize on a few buyers who suffer from fear of missing out....

Vaporware if there ever was.

Robert C and sunspot42 like this.
  13. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I think it is more like ransomware. Pay the fee (hardware and software) or receive crippled data limited to 24/48. I'll take the 24/96 or better that is available now with no extra fees.

Maybe I don't understand the need for this because I buy my music and maintain a library, not relying on a rental service. I thought the audience here (SH.tv) was the same way, buying music to create our own libraries. Maybe not. :shrug:

14. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Didn't Meridian 10 or 15 years ago try to introduce another audio format or did they have something to do with the DVD-Audio standard? I can't quite recall.

mdm08033 likes this.
  15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Meridian created Meridian Lossless Packing, used by DVD-Audio. Essentially their own version of FLAC.

16. ServingTheMusic

They took the same strategy the drug companies have been using for years...fabricate a problem then provide a solution. I'll pass.

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. chipperking

chipperking New Member

Hi have an Exployer 2 with Tidal MQA using windows 10. Need a fix to av0id tracks reverting back to cd quality at the end of each track and hence having to reconnect the Dac to get back to MQA. Any suggestions?

18. Glen Rasmusssen

Glen Rasmusssen Active Member

I just got this in my email feed from.
    Dr. Mark Waldrep.
    MQA: It's Everywhere, It's Nowhere
    www.RealHD-Audio.com
    Dr. AIX

The good folks at MQA have done a great job at getting their technology and message out. Never mind about the benefits of the "authentication" process or the technical merits of the "origami" folding of ultrasonic frequencies within the bandwidth available to streaming companies, they've succeeded in convincing a couple of the major labels (and a number of smaller ones), some hardware manufacturers, and production studios to endorse and collaborate with them.

As I opened my email this morning, I clicked through to a press release issued by MQA and Universal Music Group. The title "MQA and Universal Music Group Collaborate on Advancing Hi-Res On-Demand Streaming" means that UMG, holders of one of the largest and most valuable catalogs of music has joined Warner Brother Records in support of MQA. With the world rapidly moving away from digital downloads to streaming, the move to associate "hi-res audio" — made possible by MQA processing — with the new distribution paradigm is interesting. Brace yourself for the second wave of "so-called" high-resolution audio/music promotion.

On the other side of the coin, I also received a heads up from a friend about an article written by Jim Collinson of Linn titled, "MQA is Bad For Music. Here's Why". You can click here to read this very compelling argument against the MQA technology. His take is rooted in the fact that MQA is great news for the labels, for the streaming services that will extol the virtues of "hi-res" and potential charge more or attract more subscribers, and MQA but doesn't provide any real benefit for end users. His article is well worth the read.

And finally, I read a couple of posts at Archimago on the technical aspects of MQA. In early February, he authored a couple of well-documented articles. The first "Musings: Discussion on the MQA filter (and filters in general)..." drills into the bit-depth basis for timing accuracy. He successfully addresses some of the confusing and incorrect claims made about sampling in other publications as they apply to MQA. His other piece is "COMPARISON: Hardware-Decoded MQA (using Mytek Brooklyn DAC)", which uses an MQA enabled Mytek DAC to evaluate hardware MQA decoding. Those of you who are more technically minded will appreciate the information and graphics in these posts. They confirm many of my apprehensions about this technology.

The labels are all about trying to license their catalogs again — this time under the banner of "hi-res" streaming. They extracted many millions of dollars during the "hi-res" download period (2007-2016) and are looking at reaping the same windfall as TIDAL and others play the fidelity card. The reality is that the world doesn't really care about fidelity. They want convenience over sound quality. If adding an extra imperceptible octave to a recording from 50 years ago using MQA floats your boat then it's time to get excited. As far as I'm concerned, streaming CD-specification sound surpasses my own requirements. If you want real high-resolution audio/music, avoid streaming.

The press release reads as follows:

LONDON AND SANTA MONICA | FEBRUARY 16, 2017 – Music technology company MQA and Universal Music Group (UMG), the world-leader in music-based entertainment, announced today that the companies have entered into a multi-year agreement that will encode UMG’s extensive catalogue of master recordings in MQA’s industry-leading technology, promising to make some of the world’s most celebrated recordings available for the first time in Hi-Res Audio streaming

Today’s announcement comes shortly after the launch of the cross-industry marketing campaign “Stream the Studio”, launched at the 2017 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas and spearheaded by The DEG: the Digital Entertainment Group, to raise awareness of the advantages of Hi-Res Audio streaming.

Mike Jbara, CEO of MQA, commented, “We’re very pleased to be working with Universal Music to achieve our goal of moving studio-quality sound into the mainstream. Universal’s timeless catalogue and impressive artist roster will fuel music streaming services worldwide and enable the premium listening experience for all music fans.”

Michael Nash, Executive Vice President of Digital Strategy at UMG, said, “The promise of Hi-Res Audio streaming is becoming a reality, with one service already in the market and several more committed to launching this year. With MQA, we are working with a partner whose technology is among the best solutions for streaming Hi-Res Audio, and one that doesn't ask music fans to compromise on sound quality for convenience. We’re looking forward to working with Mike and his team at MQA to make our industry-leading roster of artists and recordings available to music fans in the highest quality possible.”

MQA – the award-winning technology which delivers master quality audio in a file small enough to stream – debuted on global music and entertainment platform, TIDAL, at the beginning of this year, and is also available internationally on several music download services.

About MQA

Using pioneering scientific research into how people hear, the MQA team has created a technology that captures the sound of the original studio performance. The master MQA file is fully authenticated in the studio and is small enough to stream, while also being backward compatible, so you can play MQA music on any device. MQA’s award-winning technology is licensed by labels, music services and hardware manufacturers worldwide and is certified by the RIAA. MQA is a UK-based private company.

For more information visit www.mqa.co.uk

About Universal Music Group

Universal Music Group (UMG) is the world leader in music-based entertainment, with a broad array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries. Featuring the most comprehensive catalog of recordings and songs across every musical genre, UMG identifies and develops artists and produces and distributes the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful music in the world. Committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship, UMG fosters the development of services, platforms and business models in order to broaden artistic and commercial opportunities for our artists and create new experiences for fans. Universal Music Group is a Vivendi company. Find out more at: UMG - Universal Music Group

If you would like to leave a comment on this article, please visit www.RealHD-Audio.com

[​IMG]

sunspot42 likes this.
  19. Glen Rasmusssen

I personally do not buy into the negative side, conspiracy theory, MQA and the labels taking over the audio world. I am a 45 year audiophile. I had not been streaming music on my home stereo because is sounded like compressed flat crap. I had sold all my albums, open reel equipment years ago, and the only time I was really listening to my system was with recent BlueRay Concert Disc. There are very few good well recorded concerts out there. Most of the old remastered stuff has very weak sound. I am two weeks into a $300 US investment in a Bluesound Node, and now I cannot wait to MAKE time every day to explore the Masters Catalogue. The sound is great. Listening to music again, isn't that what its all about? If you already have a big collection of great CD's or albums or HiRez downloads. No reason to get your panties all in a bunch. For 20$ a month my audiophile ears are having fun and enjoyment again becoming acquainted with a lot of Classic music of the past, and hopefully new music in the future. I just hope the industry gets past the Celebrity pop, rap, Hip Hop era, and we continue to get new Rock, Blues, Jazz and Classical music that sounds great again.

20. ServingTheMusic

And how is MQA relevant in any way to you enjoying Tidal?

21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Seriously.

MQA sounds like yet another means of watermarking your music - in other words, making it sound like CRAP.

No thanks.

22. Glen Rasmusssen

Try listening to Tidal Masters playlist with a MQA compatible device. There is a noticable difference in the spacial quality of the sound, dynamics, and overall feel in comparison to regular CD quality samples. I have 5.1 channel system and listen to music in a all stereo mode. I am hearing spacial changes I have not experienced before. Everyone who I have demonstrated to seems experience the uptick in sound experience.

23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

You're a new member here, and your posts - all but one of which are about Tidal/MQA - are suspiciously defensive and read like a commercial.

Hmmm...

I think even this guy could figure out what's up:

:magoo:

Robert C likes this.
  24. ServingTheMusic

Those MQA files are better than "regular CD quality" samples...What CDs? Which versions, which masters..? How about compared to a corresponding 24 bit remaster?

BTW I can run files through Audacity and export with various plug ins that will provide more perceived "spatial quality" but it will be phoney.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2017
  25. ServingTheMusic

....ah, perhaps a True Believer...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.