THE MERV GRIFFIN SHOW – 1962-1986 12 DVD box set from Reelin' In The Years Productions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Our buddy David Peck from REELIN' IN THE YEARS is at it again! As you know, David does GREAT archive work restoring and releasing 2" video, etc. from the Golden Age of Music and Broadcasting. Take a look:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David Peck sez: "Hello All,

It’s been a long road, but we’ve finally finished our 12 DVD box set, The Merv Griffin Show 1962- 1986 Both me, (David Peck) & Tom Gulotta spent more than two years meticulously combing through 2,500 hours of The Merv Griffin Show to hand-select the best episodes and moments that underscore the historic significance of the program. As you can imagine the editing that was done here in the office took an incredible amount of time (and patience!) but Tom and I are very proud of how it came out.

THE MERV GRIFFIN SHOW – 1962-1986 is packed with 44 classic episodes and more than 200 guests from the worlds of entertainment, politics, music, sports, literature and art, most of which have not been seen for decades. Over its 42 hours, viewers will be entertained by the likes of Mel Brooks, Lucille Ball, the Everly Brothers, Willie Mays and Aretha Franklin; enlightened by Salvador Dali, Dr. Timothy Leary and Maya Angelou; and inspired by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Rosa Parks, Pres. Ronald Reagan, and Sen. Robert F. Kennedy. Among the film and TV legends interviewed by Griffin in this collection are John Wayne, Bette Davis, Gene Wilder, Laurence Olivier, Ingrid Bergman, Farrah Fawcett-Majors, Warren Beatty, the cast of The Golden Girls, Dennis Hopper, Jayne Mansfield, George Clooney, Jane Fonda and the final interview with Orson Welles who died just a few hours after the show.

The array of comedy greats alone is astounding. Here are the young Jerry Seinfeld, George Carlin, Bill Maher and Jay Leno, as well as Richard Pryor and Jerry Lewis together (!), Joan Rivers, Steve Martin, Moms Mabley, Bill Cosby, Henny Youngman, Jack Benny, Redd Foxx, Carol Burnett, Andy Kaufman and Woody Allen. In a new interview filmed for this box set, Jay Leno reminisced about the show: “When you go back and look at all the comics that started with Merv, it’s pretty amazing because most of them did do Merv before they did The Tonight Show. Merv broke as many comics as almost any other show.”

In juxtapositions that only Griffin would dare attempt, a comedy routine in 1965 by Phyllis Diller is followed by a conversation with the Japanese officer who helped plan and lead the Pearl Harbor attack; the next week the ground-breaking young comic genius Richard Pryor leads to a chat with contentious and brilliant record producer Phil Spector.

Among the collection’s 50 great musical moments is a 1972 tribute to Stax Records hosted by Soul legend Isaac Hayes, 17-year-old Stevie Wonder singing “I Was Made to Love Her,” Merle Haggard performing at San Quentin prison in 1971 and 19-year-old Whitney Houston in her national TV debut in 1983.

The extensive bonus material includes seven hours of interviews with such wide-ranging figures as Norman Rockwell, Barbara Walters, Adam West and Burt Ward of Batman, James Michener, Alec Baldwin, Muhammad Ali and many more. Other extras include the aforementioned interview with Jay Leno, vintage promo trailers, and a 52-page booklet with exhaustive notes, rare photos, memorabilia and a foreword by Dick Cavett.

THE MERV GRIFFIN SHOW – 1962-1986 is a cultural treasure trove providing insight into almost a quarter century of American thought, style and attitudes as seen through the prism of one of the premier talk shows in American television history.

Reelin’ in the Years Productions is regarded as having one of the most prestigious footage libraries of musical artists, entertainers and history makers and has produced more than 70 DVD titles including the Grammy-nominated American Folk Blues Festival series, the multi-platinum-selling Definitive Motown series, the British Invasion series and the award-winning 36-title Jazz Icons series. www.mervgriffin.com

Okay we've rambled on for too long but please check out the site for a full breakdown of the shows in the box set and other pertinent information.

http://mervgriffin.com/dvd-series/

Here’s the trailer and if this doesn’t get you hooked nothing will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRHc02XvFn0

Dig it and please spread the word.

David Peck & Tom Gulotta
    Producers, The Merv Griffin Show Box Set 1962 - 1986
    Reelin’ In The Years Productions

Website: http://www.reelinintheyears.com Facebook: www.facebook.com/ritypro d
    www.mervgriffin.comIn addition to the significant libraries around the globe that we represent, we are equally proud to have the rights to license all of the footage from The Merv Griffin Show 1962-1986 - a comprehensive archive of the most important people in popular culture.Acknowledged as one of the premier talk shows in the history of television, This ground-breaking show was known for in-depth interviews with celebrities and newsmakers , innovative stand-up comedy and stellar music performances.The Merv Griffin Show ran daily for some 21 years from May 1965 to September 1986. Over the course of it's run, Merv welcomed more than 25,0000 guests including many of the most important names in the fields of entertainment, politics, music, art, sports, fashion and literature. We have completed cataloging the full archive and have restored over 2500 hours of footage from this monumental archive. The entire library is searchable on our online database."

cwitt1980, Pizza, HAmmer and 11 others like this.
  2. Fantastic!!

Not to mention jazz guitar legend Jim Hall in the house band (early 60s?)...

3. Steve Hoffman

My family watched Merv a lot. It was on during "kid friendly" hours and I got to see The Lovin' Spoonful, etc. for the first time on Merv.

I remember watching Moms Mabley for the first time on that show. At first my mom said "Who is that old black lady without any teeth?"

But soon, we were hooked. I remember my parents reaction when Moms was explaining to Merv that they loved her down South. Oh yes, they loved her. They kept calling her the name of that famous cowboy's horse. Merv said "You mean Roy Rogers?"

Moms said "Yes, they kept calling me Trigger! Trigger! ..At least I think that's what they were calling me."

I didn't get it but my mom's reaction was to actually stand up and say "Well that was something you don't see every day on television. Good for her."

4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Bill and jsayers like this.
  6. jsayers

It's nice to see a new release by Reelin' - I thought they threw in the towel on home video releases after the disappointing sales of the fantastic "British Invasion" series of music dvd's they were putting out.

Too bad they couldn't clear Jonathan Winter's hilarious appearances on Merv as well as more musical acts, but I'm still stoked for this box!

7. Steve Hoffman

Getting stuff cleared is the bane of any reissue project. It's terrible. One can put 1,000 hours into finding the best stuff but unless it can be cleared, it might as well be in the trash can. Problem is, everyone thinks they are going to get rich off of it so they make impossible to meet terms.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I remember seeing Marshall Crenshaw on Merv

9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Music or video topic.? :confused:

Laibach and GroovinGarrett like this.
  10. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

This looks awesome. I only wish that I could buy it on Blu-ray instead of DVD.

Laibach and Shawn like this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Me too. That actually changed my life in a way. I "went electric" after that day. Really, that performance inspired me to start a band!

Stone Turntable, sixelsix and ledsox like this.
  12. jsayers

David Peck was nice enough to explain all these headaches here on the forum a while back and it was very enlightening yet sad. It might be good to do a search and link the comments here to head off a ton of "where's the rock acts?" posts that will probably be coming. I understand why, but it's sad that <in our lifetimes anyway> all that gold will sit on a shelf unseen due to rights owners not getting the cash they want to make it available to the public. Soon, nobody will care after we, the target audience, fades away into oblivion. So, they, and us, get nothing. Who wins here?

SonyTek, ParloFax and GetRhythm like this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

No winners, just greedy out of touch lawyers.

BwanaBob, SonyTek, somnar and 2 others like this.
  14. I remember watching Merv (as well as Mike Douglas of course) sometimes growing up, but don't remember if the musical performances were actually live. Anyone care to comment?

15. Steve Hoffman

Many of them were, or at the least, singing live to a unique backing track.

Take look, all live.

16. jsayers

Myke likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

Take a look:

18. jsayers

That Screamin' Jay Hawkins clip of "I Put A Spell On You" is awesome - RITY have had it on youtube for a while :

19. Steve Hoffman

20. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

Now please release Shindig on DVD!

Hamhead and goodiesguy like this.
  21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Where am I supposed to keep all this stuff ? :help: :shrug:

And yes, I have to buy it !!! :agree:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  22. Nice to see this stuff come out finally.

BTW- Rick Moranis' impression of Merv is definitive and hilarious.

23. jsayers

All destroyed/wiped. :sigh:

24. Steve Hoffman

Not true.

goodiesguy and showtaper like this.
  25. That's too awesome!! :thumbsup:

Hamhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.