'Metal Positive Matrix' vinyl?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jason Manley, Apr 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member Thread Starter

Recently I came across this listing at he DR site and I was intrigued because I've never heard of this so I wanted to learn more. I have since heard this particular recording and I can attest to that it's the best sounding OK COMPUTER I've ever heard.

That said, what is a 'Metal Positive Matrix' or 'Mother'? Is this a byproduct of the manufacturing stage to a commercial vinyl record? Does it look like vinyl? And, I guess, most importantly – is this really a "thing"? Or is this someone being overly imaginative?

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

dunce and Stone Turntable like this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

dunce likes this.
  3. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks. Yea, I saw that link and read through it but I was hoping for a more dumbed down explanation. I wonder how someone would get their hands on such a thing? This particular recording sounds so amazingly smooth with like ZERO surface noise. Not to be TOO hyperbolic but it sounds so good I wouldn't think it was vinyl 'metal master' or otherwise.

Thanks again.

dunce likes this.
  4. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

It's the "positive" of an album, with ridges that make the groove. The album is a "negative". They are playable with a very costly custom stylus. "Direct metal mastering" is a process by which the master is cut into metal (I think it was copper) instead of an acetate. Some record companies kept their metal parts, but not very many.

dunce and Jason Manley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.