Metallica - And Justice For All deluxe box set contents and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nodeerforamonth, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

They just put up some camcorder footage from the Cow Palace`88-Eye Of The Beholder.

2. cjefferys

cjefferys Forum Resident

I get what you are saying, but in the case of Bathory and Burzum's early recordings, Quarthon and Varg were limited by whatever very small recording budget they had at the time, and the technology available to them. I would love those albums to sound better but there was no chance of that under the circumstances, so I accept them for what they are, warts and all. With AJFA, Metallica had a major label recording budget and great equipment available to use, so the album could have and should have sounded better than it does, but Lars and James intentionally screwed it up, so I chalk that under a missed opportunity.

3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

If they are selling the album in 96/24 then I don't see how it's not going to be an upsample since it was digitally mixed in the late 80s. Would be 48khz at best. They've offered a number of up sampled recordings in HD and someone complained about MoP, so they dropped the 96/24 option from the store (this was before the box). Then when the box was released, they didn't offer the album in 96/24. But either they don't know or don't care that a number of other albums they offered in 96/24 are also up sampled. Including Justice.

4. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood Thread Starter

I forgot there were two nights in Long Beach! I'm almost certain I was at the first one.

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

6. panicproject

panicproject VinylVinylVinylVinyl

that is MY Metallica right there. For me, them at the peak of their powers.

misfits73, JayB, johnny q and 3 others like this.
  7. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Better editing than on Seattle vid, and sound is better too, though why not mute the audience during the most of the song?

8. Stephen Birkett

Stephen Birkett Forum Resident

Absolutely Immense!!
    This DVD will be worth the "entry fee" alone.

hi_watt, Clanceman and panicproject like this.
  9. I can see that, but...I know it's an old chestnut, but when Cliff was on stage - more importantly when Cliff was contributing to the writing - that was my Metallica.

I really don't think that it's pining for the good ol' days, though. Metallica did a miraculous job with AJFA, song wise, considering the loss of Cliff. I think that the band was still operating in that mindset, where Cliff was quality control, even though he was dead. That's what they were used to. It took distancing themselves a few years from Cliff's passing to naturally no longer question, "What would Cliff say?" or "What would Cliff do?" That is to say, I think we sometimes underestimate Cliff's influence on Hetfield and Ulrich, especially, as they've said themselves (and Hammett, too) that when writing they would always look over the Cliff to see if he was digging it or not, or when the room was silent and Cliff would suggest a change to the music, everyone was all ears.

Cliff certainly wasn't a soft member of the band. It seems that when Jason first came on, he was a bit soft in his approach, to only become more vociferous later on.

I don't know why I'm writing all of this. I guess because your post started turning my wheels. Speaking about Cliff, then Jason, and now thinking about Rob, with the loss of each bass player it became more and more the Hetfield/Ulrich show, even to the point to where Hammett has become more of a soft member (or at least for a little while).

Then I wonder, what does Rob even do? From all appearances, and going by songwriting credits, Rob does nothing special as a contributor. He's a JAG in this band. His bass lines aren't special. He writes next to nothing. Ironically, he's probably the most talented musician in the band, though on the recordings you wouldn't be able to tell.

Anyway, yeah, I can see why people would point to AJFA as being their favorite period. :)

I bought the first 3 boxsets. I won't buy this one. I'm only interested in CD 5 and how that turns out.

10. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I heard Rob do a flamenco thing on guitar that was amazing. Wish he'd do a solo thing. I'd love to hear a personal musical perspective from Rob. Or maybe he needs the collaboration many great musicians do. He's is an amazing player and musician. His style of finger bass is so cool and similar to Cliff too.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  11. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

They actually used an audience tape of the show to mix in some crowd noise - I know the guy who supplied them with his master tape, and he got a free box out of the deal!

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  12. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

steveharris and Sentient Six like this.
  13. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

superstar19 likes this.
  14. Yeah, I saw that, too. Rob has been in the band for 15 years, yet from all appearances that was the first time they had heard him play flamenco on the guitar. The rest of the guys started kidding around with Kirk. I don't know if it was just my perception, but Kirk looked a little put off, like, "I'm the lead guitarist, but I can't do that."

Rob is an excellent musician who seems like he practices his skills at various instruments just because he's naturally inclined to do so. I bet if you gave him a banjo in a month or so he'd come back with some impressive stuff.

Dare I say that he's underutilized in Metallica? Of course who knows; Rob might be an excellent musician with poor creative skills. Some people are just like that.

15. mikehbkwm

mikehbkwm Forum Resident

GAWDDDD I WISH I HAD A TIME MACHINE!!! TAKE ME BACK TO 88/89!

Vinyl_Blues and hi_watt like this.
  16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Robert has lots of song writing credits with ST and IG, especially IG.

The Hud likes this.
  17. Wow, I didn't know that he was that creatively poor. :pleased:

Brenald79 likes this.
  18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I really wish Rob was still with Suicidal and Infectious.

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I did last night by watching the Seattle show on DVD, insane levels of energy, they killed it on that tour, all 4 members delivering their best.
    I now understand why they are remixing this show for the boxset, I had the audio cranked thru my headphones and the mix is sometimes lacking in spots, I can't wait to hear the difference.

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

$10.99 over at the Metallica store - I wonder what they would've thought about this back in 1989? I would actually buy this if they had the rest of the band and stage set.

[​IMG]

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

And Rocky & Mike Clark:shake:.

Anonamemouse, johnny q and The Hud like this.
  22. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Yes and yes!

23. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

Jumping in the thread. Peace!

Clanceman likes this.
  24. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Interesting to see this posted now when it's not part of the new set and will most likely end up on the Black Album reissue.

Clanceman, jfeldt, izombie73 and 3 others like this.
  25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Oops....someone made a booboo I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.