Metallica - Hardwired...To Self-Destruct (Nov 18th)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FourWalledWorld, Aug 18, 2016.

1. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident Thread Starter

Finally the new album is announced! - Hardwired - Metallica »

It really does exist! We know it’s been a long time coming, but today we proudly introduce you to Hardwired…To Self-Destruct, the long awaited next Metallica studio album that is the follow-up to Death Magnetic! Two discs, nearly 80 minutes of music is coming your way on November 18, 2016... yes, THIS YEAR!

Hardwired… represents the next phase of our journey as Metallica and we are so excited to share it with you. If anyone was tuned into radio station 93X in Minneapolis earlier today, you heard the world debut of the first track, “Hardwired” and we’re hoping you’ll hear a lot more of it in the coming days. Produced by Greg Fidelman, along with James and Lars, this is our 11th studio album and is available for pre-order in a variety of configurations including 12 songs on a double CD, vinyl, digital download, as well as a deluxe version with the riffs that were the origins of the album. Everyone who pre-orders the album through Metallica.com will receive an instant download of the song “Hardwired.”

Keep watching this space for more information, we cannot wait to hit the road to play these songs live and get in your faces once again, so strap yourselves in… INCOMING!

Tracklist

Disc One

1. Hardwired
    2. Atlas, Rise!
    3. Now That We’re Dead
    4. Moth Into Flame
    5. Am I Savage?
    6. Halo On Fire
    Disc Two

1. Confusion
    2. Dream No More
    3. ManUNkind
    4. Here Comes Revenge
    5. Murder One
    6. Spit Out The Bone
    Disc Three (Deluxe Edition Only)

1. Lords Of Summer
    2. Riff Charge (Riff Origins)
    3. N.W.O.B.H.M. A.T.M. (Riff Origins)
    4. Tin Shot (Riff Origins)
    5. Plow (Riff Origins)
    6. Sawblade (Riff Origins)
    7. RIP (Riff Origins)
    8. Lima (Riff Origins)
    9. 91 (Riff Origins)
    10. MTO (Riff Origins)
    11. RL72 (Riff Origins)
    12. Frankenstein (Riff Origins)
    13. CHI (Riff Origins)
    14. X Dust (Riff Origins)
    EDIT: Video for first single "Hardwired" is here:

2. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Horrible album title....what are they thinking??? Were they going for the U2 "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" vibe???

3. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree. The artwork isn't up to much either IMO.

4. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

I don't care what they were going for album title wise, some of those song titles are pretty bizarre! Lol. I'm just psyched to finally hear some new jams out of one my longtime favorites!!! :D \m/

5. Vinyl Fan 1973

Let me be clear, I'm looking forward to the music and I will buy the vinyl set, but reading the title of the album and seeing that cover, has got me worrying a bit.

I want to be positive about this, but at this point I'm thinking this isn't an album for a fan like me, they are targeting a much younger, and newer audience. One they've picked up the last few years. Good on them for that, but from a marketing point of view, this isn't connecting with me at all.

izombie73 and Szeppelin75 like this.
  6. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

That track sounds like a drums/vocals only version. Yikes. And those lyrics...

7. Vinyl Fan 1973

Has anyone heard the lead off track yet? I have not heard it.

8. fitzchris72

fitzchris72 Forum Resident

Just listened to the new track. I dig it! Hardest thing they've done in a LOOONG time and they don't linger at all. In and out in just over 3 months. This song gives me hope!

9. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Iron Maiden did a double and now Metallica (Lars) gotta have one as well. :agree:

10. Vinyl Fan 1973

People are still talking about the new Maiden album, and that fantastic tour they did for it. It will be interesting to see how the new Metallica measures up to that.

11. Points of concern:

(a) Looks like they haven't learned a thing about editing, which isn't a good sign.
    (b) Where once they asked if they were evil, in their dotage they can only raise the anti-social/aggression level to "savage".
    (c) "ManUNkind"? Come on.
    (d) I hope that cover's just a temporary mock-up.

12. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

Yay, finally! I just ask that the album, or the LP version, won't be crushed and brickwalled to death like D-Mag was. Not likely to happen, but I'll keep my hopes up. Definitely looking forward to what Metallica has in store, and what new surprises they're about to spring on us.

(After listening to new track)

Well...it's 80s Metallica, definitely a Kill Em All vibe. If you're a fan of that sound, then here ya go. The oldschool fans should be happy. Personally, I'm more a fan of the 1991 Black Album, with its meaty riffs and larger-than-life melodic sound. Hopefully, the new album will have some tracks that appeal to me. In any case, it's good to see new music at last.

BTW, are people finally beginning to cool down about Lou Reed's Lulu album? I thought that was a great album (runs for cover).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  13. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Yeah i know, i was there :D

Christopher B and 24voltsdc like this.
  14. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

That song sounds like it's right off of Death Magnetic to my ears.

15. Vinyl Fan 1973

Also, considering their last album was called Death Magnetic, and followed a whole death and coffin theme, did they really need to go and call a new song "Now That We're Dead"??!!

JulesRules and Dudley Morris like this.
  16. Vinyl Fan 1973

So was I, and I'm still recovering LOL

Just an awesome show, and probably the best I've seen them and that is saying a lot. They rock!

24voltsdc likes this.
  17. Complier

Complier Senior Member

I was just thinking how it's been forever since "Death Magnetic" and then I see this announcement.

Dorian75 likes this.
  18. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

Reminds me of "My Apocalypse" from Death Magnetic. Very nice track overall.

Dorian75 likes this.
  19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I can't argue with that assessment at all - sounds better though.

20. Vinyl Fan 1973

I was going to wait till the album came out to hear the new stuff, but I think I'll check out the video when I get home. Why not....

21. Vinyl Fan 1973

Songwriting aside, I do think this album will "sound" better than the last one. It gives me hope to read Lars saying that they worked on the "sonics" for this new album. That's a VERY good sign.

"Ulrich continued: "We're not working with Rick, we're working with the engineer from the last record, who's producing, Greg Fidelman. So there's some of the same production elements at play, but we're expanding a little bit on the sonics. It's probably a bit more of a diverse record than the last one. It's exciting, but I don't have quite the perspective yet."

Deuce66 likes this.
  22. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

I was just listening to the track. Surprised that i actually liked it. Hope there is other good songs on the album :D

Dorian75 likes this.
  23. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

But it's "nearly" 80 minutes. Load was nearly 80 minutes and a single. I don't care though that it's spread over 2 discs as long as I don't have to pay extra for it.

24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

the cover leaves a little to be desired

[​IMG]

Aftermath, Sondek, LEONPROFF and 3 others like this.
  25. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Lar's is still a crap drummer !! but looking forward to this :)

GodShifter and warewolf95 like this.