Metallica - Hardwired...To Self-Destruct (Nov 18th)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FourWalledWorld, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I just picked up an 89 Vertigo vinyl pressing of MOP and it sounds fantastic. Best I've ever heard it.

Cliff, steveharris and toddrhodes like this.
  2. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I don't have that one, but I have both the 33 and 45 RPM MFN cuts. The 45 RPM is incredible. I also have the 2004 Rhino box and the MoP in there is every bit as good, if not better in some parts. Not sure how to describe it, but it's definitely cut a bit hotter and just roars out of the speakers. The 45 RPM has it for detail, though.

Ordered that 3 LP live box. Can't wait to hear it, but I do wish they'd have played Halo, Atlas, or Spit Out the Bone. As it stands, there's only 2 Hardwired tracks on the live set, but that's ok, the rest looks solid AF.

Dorian75 likes this.
  3. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Be grateful you get two songs off Hardwired. The album still had another 7 weeks to go before it came out.

Order the Mexico City shows from livemetallica.com. There's about 6 different Hardwired songs on between the 3 shows. Sounds amazing. Great crowd too.

Dorian75 and toddrhodes like this.
  4. toddrhodes

Oh, haha! I did not notice the date, apparently. Thanks for clearing that up :)

Dorian75 likes this.
  5. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I might look to pick up a MFN to compare. Thanks for the tip.

6. toddrhodes

If you're ever up for a swap, just hit me up.

7. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Cheers I might, thanks for the offer.

Is this the MFN 45 you have?

Master Of Puppets by Metallica. #DiscographicApp
    Metallica - Master Of Puppets

8. toddrhodes

'Tis the one!

9. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Excellent thanks.

And the Rhino box is worth picking up? Do all the albums in the box sound good?

10. toddrhodes

I've listened to everything but the Creeping Death pic disc. I got it for $240 shipped, if I remember right. I already have most of "the" pressings of most of their early output, outside of the elusive MF Kill Em All. I do have an '89 Vertigo KEA which was, prior to the Rhino box, my reference. I also had a Burnett Records KEA which supposedly used the MF stampers (this is from memory, I could be wrong).

Out of the set, my quick thoughts:
    KEA - I'm done finding versions of this album to try. This one blows away the Vertigo. I think it's the 2xLP format that does it; they cut it with more volume and it almost comes across as compressed, but it's not. It's just ridiculously good.
    RTL - I have two MF originals and the 2016. This one, out of any in the set, presents the biggest differences. It's just amazing. Fade to Black is my favorite song of all time and quite honestly, I have never heard it so good as on the Rhino copy. Again, the 2xLP treatment works really well here.
    MOP - If I didn't have the MFN 45 RPM, this would be a slam dunk as the best copy I've heard. I have the MFN 33 RPM like I said, and also the original US Elektra. Toss-up between the Rhino MOP and the 45 RPM MOP, for me. If I had to choose, I'd pick the 45 RPM but getting a really good one is $100 and that's nearly half the cost of the box (nevermind getting originals of RTL and KEA)
    AJFA - I have the '87 Holland, MASTERDISK DMM. To me, it's a coin toss on this one. Neither sound bad, everyone knows the mix is suspect at best. I enjoy both the Rhino and Holland equally. If you don't have the Holland, then that brings the value prop up quite a bit on the Rhino box. Note - I've not heard a "non DMM" AJFA outside of the Rhino version which doesn't explicitly state it's DMM so I have to assume it isn't.
    5.98 EP - Excellent. I also have a Canadian 1st press which is a bit more raw, but I prefer the Rhino copy ever so slightly.

Cliff's notes - the guitar tone, aggression, volume, and clarity the Rhino copies achieve is 2nd to none. They just kick serious ass.

Hope that helps!

Jam757 likes this.
  11. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Extremely helpful, thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. I will buy the box and skip the MFN then!

On a related note, I own KEA 89 Vertigo and a MegaForce original. I think the Vertigo is better. They are close but the Veritgo is a little punchier, more exciting. Sounds like the box version may be the reference based on your assessment.

Thanks!

toddrhodes likes this.
  12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Well this isn't too encouraging if anyone is expecting Spit Out the Bone to be a regular in the setlist

from Kirk:

“‘Spit Out the Bone’ is the Mount Everest of the new album — the highest peak and the hardest ascent,” Hammett says of the mammoth Hetfield/Ulrich-penned track. “On the rest of the record, I improvised my solos — not that one. The instrumentation on that song is so tight that I wanted to solo with equal precision.”

“How hard [is it to play]? We haven’t done it yet live,” he continues. “We keep saying that we will by summer. We really have to work up to it!”

13. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Anyone else gonna be at the first US gig tomorrow in Baltimore? I'll be there, also hitting up Philly and NJ/NY.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Photo from Ross Halfin - live in Philly

[​IMG]

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Did you check out any of the pop up stores? anything interesting and how was the show?

16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Todd W. likes this.
  17. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Photo is brilliant! Rock photo of the year for sure.

johnny q and Vinyl Addict like this.
  18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I got mine, it's terrific! More thoughts here: Metallica playing small venue Webster Hall, NYC on Tue.

Jam757, johnny q and Deuce66 like this.
  19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Great version of Atlas Rise - pro shot from Baltimore.

20. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I doubt they ever will. But it does come with an MP3 download code.

22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

check out the store on the official site $19.81

Two audio CDs featuring the complete show recorded live at Webster Hall in New York, NY on September 27, 2016 during a private club performance.

Mixed by Greg Fidelman

1. Breadfan
    2. Holier Than Thou
    3. Battery
    4. Harvester Of Sorrow
    5. Fade To Black
    6. Moth Into Flame
    7. Sad But True
    8. Orion
    9. One
    10. Master Of Puppets
    11. For Whom The Bell Tolls
    12. Enter Sandman
    13. Whiskey In The Jar
    14. Hardwired
    15. Seek & Destroy

Live Metallica: Webster Hall in New York, NY - September 27, 2016 (2CD) - Metallica

[​IMG]

weekendtoy, SamS and toddrhodes like this.
  23. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Many of the CDs they sell on their site for live shows are just CDRs. And the cover is just a sticker over a cardboard sleeve (see above).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

Thanks

25. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

I hate paying for cdrs