Metallica - Hardwired...To Self-Destruct (Nov 18th)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FourWalledWorld, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

I'll be there tonight. Birthday present for me. Hopefully the rain stays away. Currently pouring like heII in Annandale, NJ.

Dorian75 likes this.
  2. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

One thing I love about Lars is the guy is fearless. Logic would say that he's the one who would have the most trouble with Spit out the Bone but I bet he'd play it tonight and live with the results without worry.

Dorian75 likes this.
  3. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

How was it?

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  4. Andrius Dobrotinas

Andrius Dobrotinas Forum Resident

It's not like releasing every show as a proper CD release is a viable business plan in this age. I'm surprised they do CD-Rs at all.

5. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

When I want a show of theirs, I have always just done digital downloads and then if I want to burn them to CD, I do it myself. They have various formats for digital downloads (Lossy and lossless.) I always get the lossless standard FLAC versions.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  6. Sentient Six

Had a great time and really enjoyed the show. Volbeat was really good. I went inside for Avenged Sevenfold as I cannot stand them. Went back out for Metallica, sun was going down and it got colder and there was a wind whipping around that went right through me. The wind was affecting their sound quite a bit; sometimes it would be ok and then it would be really loud and other times it was almost like a phasing sound. I don't blame them for the sound, it was the wind. I pre-ordered the live CD of the show so I'll get to hear what it would sound like sans wind.

I haven't seen them since '91 but would definitely want to go again.

7. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I haven't seen 'em live since the Justice For All tour.

Ironic, as I was typing the above, Metal Militia popped up on my random Amazon playlist. I'm probably too stuck in the past to properly enjoy this album.

8. Sentient Six

It's like it's my birthday all over again!
    [​IMG]

9. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

How does it sound???

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  10. Sentient Six

Finally getting to listen to it today: mix is good. There's actual bass, drums have weight. It's definitely not as loud as the album or the Through The Never soundtrack.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I really enjoyed the show last week in Dallas, TX. I was in the front/Snake Pit!

Here's a pic I took as I walked between the stage and barrier. I was also fortunate enough to be able to order a tour poster ($40) from the Metallica site.. they sold out crazy quick!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Jam757 likes this.
  13. trickster

trickster Well-Known Member

8 months have passed and I still listen this album.
    My favourites (the first places)
    "Hardwired"
    "Moth Into Flame" (The new classic song)
    "Dream No More"
    "Halo On Fire" (The second part of the song is really good. Really good)
    "Spit Out The Bone" (The new classic song)

the second places
    "Confusion" (The first impression was not very good, because of the video).
    "Murder One" (Can't understand criticism to this one)

The worst song for me is "ManUNkind" (And the worst video too. Never thought that metallica can make "parody"( very bad parody) video to another band.)

But in general it's a very good album. I think it's much better than DM.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  14. Andrius Dobrotinas

I don't think it's a parody. Someone on this thread said it was directed by some guy who also directed a movie about a band in question, if I am not mistaken. Still, it's a weird choice for a Metallica music video.

15. trickster

It's a parody on Mayhem (with Dead on vocal).
    I hope this movie is never see the light.

This video director is Jonas Akerlund. He previously made a video for "Whiskey in the Jar" and played drums for Bathory during the yearly demo period.

16. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Ok finally posting late reviews of the 3 Metallica stadium shows I caught. Saw opening night in Baltimore, May 10, Philly, May 12, and Metlife Stadium on May 14. First off the openers, Volbeat and Avenged Sevenfold. I love Volbeat but obviously, they are not anywhere near stadium level and this hurt their vibe. Still come off much better at the club level , those that knew them enjoyed them, otherwise they didn't really ignite the crowd at all. Avenged missed the Philly show, actually got free tix for a make-up show in Camden but couldn't make it. My first time seeing them and I thought they are a great modern day arena style band. Had the crowd the whole time and I'd pay to see them headline a show for sure. The DJ Mixmaster Mike? I found him generally unoffensive but I'd have to say the crowd overall hated his guts at every show but especially at Philly!

Ok so for Metallica, in general the sets are practically the same with a couple substitutions. Baltimore, I went with my best friend, he's a minor fan, we did the Unforgiven experience, got a hat (nice one actually) and a poster. Pretty much hung out on the stadium floor but towards the back end of it. Philly, went with my dad, and did the Whiplash experience. Same gifts plus got the buffet beforehand which was solid and we stuffed ourselves! The museum was tremendous, an ungodly amount of memorabilia, pics, lyric sheets, riff tapes, drums and guitars to play, shirts, took a ton of pics, was well worth it. Me and my dad made it up to near the front of the jutting ramp, the Philly crowd was wild! Metlife, went with my wife and stepson, had seats in the 100's, was nice to be off the floor and the moshing lol!

As far as the music, had a great time, didn't mind the heavy Black album focus, it is a stadium tour after all. Highlights were all the Hardwired songs, if anything I wanted more! Was disappointed the Hardwired songs didn't rotate at all from show to show. The big bongo drum solos by all the band was awesome, that's a stadium show kinda perk, even if the banging on the drums is nothing all that musically exciting, it's still a cool visual and the crowd lost their mind each time. Halo on Fire was a highlight of each night. Otherwise, enjoyed hearing Unforgiven live, never got that one before live. Think the Kirk/Rob solo jam is janky as all hell and sounds horrible, them jamming I Disappear sounded totally doofy to me but the first night we did get a bit of Bleeding Me in it as well which was cool. Rob's bass solo by himself was great with the Burton onscreen tribute lighting up the crowd each night. Think Philly had the best setlist as we got Creeping Death instead of Fuel which is an easy improvement plus Battery in the encore as well. The little garage style setup they have for Seek and Destroy was cool as well where they play up on the ramp jutting in the crowd. Same tired 1-2 punch of Nothing and Sandman to close each show, I get it, it's a stadium show but I really think they can drop Matters at this point, it was an important song for them but I don't think it's iconic, it can be dropped! James' voice was on point and they still had plenty of fire live. They really played up the stadium aspect of it with great visuals, fire, fireworks and such. Look forward to an arena tour at some point hopefully where we can get more new tracks off the album hopefully.

Metallica Setlist at M&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore

Metallica Setlist at Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia

Metallica Setlist at MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford

17. trickster

I am planning to buy Whiplash experience in Europe. Still don't know which country to check.
    This package includes early access to the GA floor. It's a good chance to get the first row in the front of the stage. So for me it's the main option.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  18. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

19. trickster

"In 2011 or so I’d engineered a couple of Metallica sessions in LA with Rick producing, but they didn’t really go anywhere."

Didn't hear about it before.

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

interesting and kind of confirms what I believe when I see DR ratings for modern vinyl releases of new albums

Metallica’s previous studio album, Death Magnetic, came in for a lot of criticism because of the extreme brickwall limiting that had been applied to it, leading to audible distortion and an extremely low dynamic range. According to the site DR.Loudness-war.info, the dynamic range of the CD averaged 3dB. Fingers were pointed at producer Rick Rubin and mastering engineer Ted Jensen, but the inside story of who was responsible and why was never revealed.

The dynamic range values given by the Dr.Loudness site for Hardwired... To Self-Destruct are better, at 6-7 dB for the digital versions and 10-13 dB for the vinyl versions. One would have imagined that the mastering approach for the new album would have been talked about in great detail because of the furore of eight years ago. Strangely, however, according to Fidelman the issue was barely discussed. “Lars and I had a five-minute conversation about it, and that was it. We did do a mastering shoot-out between four mastering engineers with a blind listening session. Sara had level-matched all four versions and simply marked them A, B, C and D. Luckily the band and I agreed on the one which we liked the best, which was done by Dave Collins. It sounded great. The nature of this music is not very dynamic in any case, particularly with the faster songs, so we were not that worried about dynamic range.

“The funny thing about the different dynamic ranges for the vinyl version of the album is that everything comes from the same master! To me the vinyl version doesn’t sound as good as the high-resolution digital version. Some people think the vinyl version is better because of the increased dynamic range, but that’s kind of crazy. You’re talking about all sorts of variables that are introduced during the transfer to vinyl, and then again during the transfer back to digital so you can measure the dynamic range.

Dynamic Ranger and toddrhodes like this.
  21. Andrius Dobrotinas

But why would a guy who made a movie about Mayhem (presumably because he likes it) do a parody on his favourite band?

22. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

last testicaltallica album i purchased was ...justice.

i have been too busy jamming to Dystopia, and much better music since then, to even give a squirt about these gimps. to really care what metallisnatch has been doing for the past 20 years. they are irrelevant to say the least.
    arrogant, godcomplex musicians who will soon find their way into obscurity and after that, who cares.

they have been worthless since they cut the bass lines from newsted on the justice release. freak them.

Darkness Descends is REAL !

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I thought Dystopia was the most boring generic poo I ever heard from MegaDave since Supergeneric came out. To each their own don't push your opinions on people and jump in a thread just to poo and advertise the album you like more. That being said hard wired is the best thing they've done since Justice.

24. trickster

I think he wants to get money. All of these bands (Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone) boycott this film. This music is not about Hollywood.

25. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I think the guy you refer is probably trolling. But, I do not think of Dystopia the way you do. I also don't think this is the best Metallica back to Justice. You might not like the direction but how do you dismiss the Black Album? I also love how people just pass over Load and Re-Load. Also in there is the great Garage Inc. No, not new material but kick-ass anyway. Don't get me wrong though, I love the new Metallica.

Actually of all the metal releases.........Slayer, Anthrax, Metallica and Megadeth........I still find myself leaning towards Testament's Brotherhood of the Snake. That is a killer album.......

Matthew Tate and Brenald79 like this.