Metallica - Hardwired...To Self-Destruct (Nov 18th)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FourWalledWorld, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

YES, the album smokes !!!!!!!!

Matthew Tate and Todd W. like this.
  2. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I listened to the black album probably 3 million times. it came out when I was 14 and it was something I heard daily through high school. I revisit the loads every few years but I cherry pick those albums. I was def not optimistic about hardwired before release, had high hopes for all the releases from the bands you mentioned. I didn't like any of them really. Metallica was a pleasant surprise for me personally.. I have not been able to connect with the new ones from Testament and I love everything they've done. Same with anthrax and slayer basically ended for me after 1994 but I do like select songs, as far albums though... no. I am very album oriented I listen to whole albums 99% of the time so if a new album seems weak to me and only has a good song or 3 I tend not to revisit it.

As far as the guy I replied to if he was trolling then he's good at it cuz he got me. I was inebriated though :p

Todd W. likes this.
  3. Bathory

not trolling brother. just almost too meticulous about what i listen too.

metal for as long as i can remember, first tapes purchased, came from an old flea market i used to go to every sunday with Dad,
    motorhead
    spartan warrior
    raven
    bitch
    mercyful fate
    bathory
    riot
    tank
    satan jokers
    black sabbath. etc etc, sold a lot of imports to me, seems that is all he sold.

this was early 80's.

I'm old-ish

\,,/

Opeth likes this.
  4. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I'm pretty meticulous also, and oldish I am also pushing the big 40 muhaha my first purchases were around 85..

5. Bathory

metallichub are ok, I'm in the "don't like" camp, when the self title hit, i was amazed, and disappointed at the tripe which was on the album, it was aired on radio so much, i honestly can not stand any song on the album, as it has hit my ears too much over the years. load and reload are good as are much of their discography, st anger i find intriguing, and like that tin can production, as i love early and all Bathory, so the sound hit me in the chest when i heard it. i may be the only one that likes st anger. anyway, i still feel the guys are arrogant prudes these days, and as far as live shows, metalliturd have never been good live, I've wasted too much on them live, last show was mid 90's, and haven't and won't give em any more money.
    i may even buy the boot box set, as they don't get my money, some douche in a low rent Belarus apartment will......and thats fine by me :)

Opeth likes this.
  6. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Respectfully, I really don't want to get into a pissing match about these artists. I have liked them all. I just can't say I didn't like any of the new material by these bands. As a matter of fact, I liked them all. Some more than others. Actually, for the last three album run, I think Testament's last 3....... Formation of Damnation, Dark Roots of Earth and Brotherhood are as good or better than the last three any of the Big 4 put out.........but that's just me.

Opeth and Brenald79 like this.
  7. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Sorry I am so late to this thread, but I had fallen off the Metallica bus after And Justice For All and gave up/stopped listening them. I did hear snippets of songs that they released on the albums they put out, but I really did not like them, so much so that I did not even give Hardwired a chance or listen - until now. WOW, this is return to old school Metallica that I fell in love with! I mean, I currently think this in their 2nd best album (after Kill 'Em All - course). I am shocked and speechless at how they returned to form, even better than MOP! I am kicking myself for not even thinking about seeing them when they opened in Baltimore. Oh well, better late to the party then never being there.
    The Metal has returned to "lica!

8. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I'm almost a year late to the party with this album. I'm a part time fan that got on board with the black album (you know one of those millions that didn't get what the "real" Metallica was about in the beginning :D ). I was quite impressed actually. Lot of cool riffs. However, I'm yet to have any of the songs jumping out at me and I would have liked to have a few more of those solos late on disc two (is that Murder One?). But it is good enough to revisit.

9. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

So I've found myself loving this album from start to finish.

My two favorite tracks are Here Comes Revenge and ManUNkind.

Those two seem to be getting singled out in reviews as being B-side quality or something. I don't think we're listening to the same album because imo those are tow of the best on the album!

Here Comes Revenge has one of the best choruses with that riffage and the "eye for an eye" part. And Man UNkind is like if Load were metal and kicked ass or something. That groovy riff is where it's at!

Love em.

If I had a top 5 favorites for the album it would be:

Atlas Rise
    Moth Into Flame
    Hardwired
    ManUnkind
    Here Comes Revenge

Spit Out the Bone and Now That We're Dead would be in the top 7.

10. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I would say Here Comes Revenge is one the best songs on the album.

11. warewolf95

Absolutely!

Also, I think Spit Out The Bone is so overrated. Call me a hipster, but people are acting like just because it's fast it's the best things since Fight Fire With Fire.

It is great, don't get me wrong, but it's not the second coming or anything, lol

Roberto899 and Brenald79 like this.
  12. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

The fact that you can call ANY song off this late in a career album "overrated" makes me smile. :) METALLICA!

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Agree with Spit being kind of overrated and Revenge being insanely good. It has this nasty groove and very addictive riffage going on.

Need to play this one again soon but there's so much to listen to and so little time.

14. Andrius Dobrotinas

Andrius Dobrotinas Forum Resident

This is ridiculous. A lot of people like the track. How can it be overrated?

warewolf95 and theshape like this.
  15. warewolf95

To me it just seems overrated because a lot of people are all "omg it's fast therefore it's amazing", ya know? Like, screw speed. It's a great song, but just because it's fast doesn't make it the greatest thing since sliced bread, lol. :)

16. trickster

trickster Well-Known Member

What? Where do you find these opinions?
    It's a great song. With very cool vocal and atmosphere. One of the best vocal duble tracking in James career. Maybe with a little compicated middle part. But it's still ok. I listen this band for 20 years and when I heard this song for the first time (especially vocal) it was just WOW.

17. warewolf95

Various metal forums and sites. Just broad opinion is what it seems to be. I mean, I agree it's a fantastic song, I'm just saying everyone's lathering it with so much praise I'm kind of sick of hearing about it by now. :D

18. trickster

trickster Well-Known Member

It's music. Only your ears and feels are real.

warewolf95 likes this.
  19. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

Eh, I still think Spit is one of the biggest highlights of the album!

Dorian75 and Clanceman like this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The making of Atlas Rise.

Clanceman likes this.
  21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

There's a bunch a 60 FPS videos floating around from their current European tour - pretty cool.

Clanceman and SizzleVonSizzleton like this.
  22. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

What I want to know is, why doesn't Ozzy's Boneyard on SiriusXM play more of this? Time to email them I guess.

Dorian75 likes this.
  23. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I am just listening to this again now for the first time in a while. What a killer album! I am listening to my Euro black vinyl for the first time, and it sounds just as good as my red translucent US. Both are pressed at MPO and presumably from the same master; they sound identically great.

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  24. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

This is an excellent example of a modern rock/metal album that is well mastered and sounds excellent. Just as Death Magnetic was an excellent example of the complete opposite. Glad Lars listened to all the criticism!

stonesfcr and Zoot Marimba like this.
  25. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Saw Metallica at The O2 tonight - utterly trimphant playing from in the round...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]