Metallica - Master Of Puppets 2017 Remastered Deluxe edition announced*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nodeerforamonth, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Your vinyl is really dead quiet? Nice. Being in Europe I assume you have the European version. Can you please check the deadwax and tell us where it was pressed? Thanks.

2. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Think they are all pallas, US ones will say P.USA, the ones from EU won't.

3. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

As in the EU ones are pressed at Pallas Europe?

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Bought the 3xCD set today and ended up with two copies of disc 2 in the box (missing disc 3). If anyone picks this up, I'd recommend you open it before leaving the store.

5. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Just put down the six bucks for the single CD. Looking forward to seeing if this brings new life to what is (minority opinion warning!) my least favorite sounding of the first four albums.

6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Oh I would definitely agree with that. Out of the 1st four, it's my least favorite sounding album.

musictoad likes this.
  7. BobFever

BobFever Forum Resident

I did not, but had a problem with extracting the zip folder. Kept getting an error code that the name was too long. Shortened the name of the folder to "Master" and all of the files were successfully extracted.

8. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

how do you know the 24/44.1 files aren't just the 24/96 files at a lower sample rate? sorry to be argumentative but I have a hard time believing they did an entirely new remaster so soon after just having done it.

Jaap74 likes this.
  9. mikehbkwm

mikehbkwm Forum Resident

Because the admin (Dan) at the Metallica Forums confirmed they are the "new" remastered files. Why release a box set (with the remastered album) and not offer the remastered high rez files. It simply doesn't make sense.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Bluebair like this.
  10. mikehbkwm

mikehbkwm Forum Resident

Also, those 96/24 files (if memory serves) were from 2008 I believe or sometimes in the 2000's. When Metallica finally took ownership of their "masters", the high rez files were mostly 96/24 pre-S&M era. A majority of those 96/24 files were simply upsamples, but that's how they released them once Metallica started offering their albums initially in High Rez.

They could've released the Remaster of Master Of Puppets at 96/24 again. However, I've seen online people call out this on the Metallica Forums that the 2016 96/24 Master Of Puppets files had a cut-off at 22kHz. Long story short, when they remastered MOP, they probably didn't want to get called out for releasing an upsampled product and simply offered it at 44.1kHz/24bit.

Bluebair likes this.
  11. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

For those who got the deluxe box, trying taking the cd's/dvd's out and putting them back in - you have to struggle to get them back in, and it's pretty ridiculous.

If they would have just widened all those spaces by a quarter of an inch...

Pouchkine likes this.
  12. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

My vinyl dead wax says "P.USA" on both sides.

First class pressing I have to say.

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  13. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

wasn't most of the Metallica back catalog remastered like a year or so ago?

14. The tracking read that my set would come in on the 15th. Well, it came in on my birthday, the 13th, so it was a very pleasant surprise.

My son is 14 and really getting into all kinds of music. I let him open the set first to gawk at all the goodies. He loves this album.

I was 13 when I bought Master of Puppets new. Now I'm 44. This is one album that has never gotten old.

15. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

The Osaka `86 tape is actually really good despite the quality of the recording and it is much more listenable than I thought it would be.A ferocious show too.

16. panicproject

panicproject VinylVinylVinylVinyl

Still don't have mine. Took "advantage" of the special deal on Amazon Italy (€111) and it has still not shipped. Their website is showing it as currently not available as well. getting a bit annoyed with it.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  17. Kingston12

Kingston12 Forum Resident

I did the same. It is currently showing an expected date of 15th - 17th, so tomorrow onwards. That seems unlikely given I am in the UK, but they do often dispatch locally...

panicproject likes this.
  18. panicproject

panicproject VinylVinylVinylVinyl

I hope it comes ASAP. I am off from Wednesday to Sunday and could really do with several days of overdosing on Master Of Puppets.

19. Vinyl Fan 1973

It’s a new remaster...let’s move on please. You can always pick up the CD and try it yourself. I bought the first two boxes and those are new remasters as well, and they don’t sound like anything that came before. Especially the vinyl, the new ones sound great, whereas the previous pressings sounded like garbage.

20. Vinyl Fan 1973

Same here...Amazon Canada keeps changing the shipping date and jerking me around. How is it Mom and pop shops can ship things on time, and Amazon can’t? Surely they are large enough to handle the demand, no?

Pouchkine and panicproject like this.
  21. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Doesn’t Metallica own their own press? I thought all of the Blackened recordings material is pressed by them on the “Metallipress”? Hetfield talked about it on Joe Rogan’s podcast.

Metalrob and theshape like this.
  22. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

Preview of a chat between he band about the MOP days, plus Flemming Rasmussen!! and Michel Wagener (mixer)

Available on Apple, dont have iTunes , hope it get posted on youtube soon

Dmann201 and Daniel Plainview like this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The should bring Flemming back for the next record!

24. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I should have my Puppets-boxset here tomorrow, so definitely looking forward to it. The first 2 boxsets were really good, if not great, but this is the best so far.
    I've heard some of the material from legal streaming-services, but surely I will do more concentrated listening from my own discs (decided to only listen to some samples in advance).
    It's gonna be pleasant time listening to the set, Im really looking forward to all the "riffs, demos & outtakes" from the vaults and Jason's audition etc. browsing the book and looking all the details.
    Getting immersed. I guess I have to make some damn good coffee and then start digging through this mammoth-boxset.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Dmann201, panicproject and sassi like this.
  25. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

@sassi You got your boxset already?