Metallica - Master Of Puppets 2017 Remastered Deluxe edition announced*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nodeerforamonth, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I've ordered from them before. I agree it's worth the extra few bucks (compared to the all-mighty Amazon) for the care they put in shipping.

Clanceman and The Hud like this.
  2. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I got the single LP. Tough decision but I couldn't justify going box set when thinking about how many times I'd actually dive deep into dvds and other materials.

3. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

For me, yes.

Cooks420 and Clanceman like this.
  4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Finally got my box, from my local record shop. Whoa this thing is a beauty, and heavy! LOL

I hope those that have not received it yet finally get them soon, so you can dig in and enjoy the goodies this set has to offer.

I'm away for the weekend but I plan to dig in and start listening on Sunday.

5. thanks for the vote of confidence. I bought a MFN 2 LP set and I dont like it. Instead of taking my chances with an Elektra album I'll try the new remaster.

Clanceman and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Really, what exactly do you not like about it? Too bright? I report feedback once I spin the new LP, I can't wait.

7. I found the drums were buried in the mix. The vocals and lead guitar being over accentuated.

I was kind of bummed because the seller told me it was NM but ended up having lots of surface noise and some visible scratches all over. It's been a long time since I listened to it, but I recall thinking a few of the songs were well done and most of the others were not mixed well. Kind of bright I think, as I wasnt too impressed with the bass and drums.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  8. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

Received my box from soundstagedirect a couple days ago in perfect condition and it's another stunning achievement from the band! Just like the first 2 boxes it has totally immersed me in the time period that this album was released and it is a true gift from the band to it's biggest fans.

The remastered versions of the studio album sound killer on both cd and vinyl, definitive versions IMO. The book is a great companion to the Matt Taylor book from last year The shear amount of excellent live footage of this lineup at it's peak is inspiring and shows how undeniably powerful this band was at the time. The audio only live shows sound great for 30 year old soundboard and audience recordings. These are not going to have professional, livemetallica.com-esque sound so don't go in expecting that and being disappointed. What it does have is good bootleg quality sound that lets the vibe, energy and drive of the band come across loud and clear. On top of all that, the Jason audition and the riff tape material showing the songs being built from the ground up is so cool and for a total Metallica nerd like me an ultimate treat. It provides a very intimate look into the songwriting process that we rarely get as fans.

I commend Metallica for really putting effort into this project and leaving no stone unturned in giving us the ultimate Master Of Puppets experience!

9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Disposable Heroes late 85 demo - damn......:wtf: the scream

steveharris and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Vinyl Fan 1973

Sorry to hear about the condition, I hope you didn’t pay too much for it? I did own those pressings in the early 90’s but I have no memory how they sounded.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  11. Thanks. I payed about $50, the international shipping made it a bit more. I was under the impression that it was a well regarded pressing. So, maybe my copy was groove worn, but I doubt it. I hope the new Master (excuse the pun) is a better choice.

12. Vinyl Fan 1973

Well if we go by the reviews I’ve seen here and elsewhere, we may be in for a treat. After work I had to rush and pack to leave for the weekend, but I couldn’t resist playing the vinyl just to see if they were warped or not. All three were flawless pressings. Heard a sample of the live stuff and it sounded great on vinyl. CD silent, so I’m really looking forward to Sunday and getting into this set.

Well I guess you could always resell the LP you just got, I’m sure you won’t have an issue, as it really is a well sought out pressing. You could always keep it and view it as an investment as it will hold its value, and then some :)

Rhapsody In Red and steveharris like this.
  13. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

Me too.

:-D

sathvyre likes this.
  14. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

Listened today to the new HD MOP...

Honestly, I have PBTHAL's WLP rip...but I never heard ORION like this...incredible.

Also on the new vinyl...it is like a cool tribute to Cliff...

As much as I love my ROADRUNNER and WLP vinyl, I also love the clarity of the new 2017 vinyl, the tonal balance and most of it all, that the treble-ish edge in my ears is a goner.

Excellent job.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  15. Vinyl Fan 1973

Slowing down..anybody else receive their set yet? Listen to more of it?

16. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yep, I got my replacement box on friday as the first had some damaged box (either it was damage from factory warehouse or post-office damaged it during transit).
    I've been listening to stuff here and there, watching dvd:s. The most interesting of the bonus-stuff, has been probably the riff-tapes, demos and early recordings as it's really fascinating to hear the whole process as the songs evolve.
    Showed the box to wife's good friend on friday and she was truly taken and made flattering comments how great the set is as I presented it.
    I haven't yet started to go through this set from "beginning to the end", as I've also had plenty of other new albums to check out aswell. But I will start to go through this one soon.
    So far, this seems to be really great release, absolutely great pressing on vinyl and comprehensive release all the way, that finally we got this thing. Looking forward to next installments in the series (hopefully next year?).

Vinyl Fan 1973 and sassi like this.
  17. Stephen Birkett

Stephen Birkett Forum Resident

Put mine away for Xmas along with Maiden Live Chapter and Pink Floyds DSOT live re issue. Be a great Boxing day listening to these.
    Regarding Master of Puppets I bought the 3cd to tide me over.

18. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  19. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

20. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

Nah...my ears are just regular tinnitus ears...LOL

21. Vinyl Fan 1973

...and so it begins. First up is the remastered vinyl, and so far so good. Nice bass and there is a clarity and balance I have not heard on other pressings.

Battery breathes a little better…wow and the opening of Puppets, so nice to hear that bass. I’m really enjoying the vinyl remaster of this title.

Puppets always sounded a tad congested to me on vinyl, and Chris Bellman has done a very nice job on this. Vinyl is flawless, and the more you turn it up, the better it sounds. The breakdown in Puppets sounds so beautiful.

Soundslave, luxen, Dmann201 and 6 others like this.
  22. Vinyl Fan 1973

Just curious do you guys keep the LP inners that came with the set, or swap them out with another type?

mikehbkwm likes this.
  23. mikehbkwm

mikehbkwm Forum Resident

I use MOFI sleeves no matter what, "unless the LP is already in one". :)

izombie73 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  24. Vinyl Fan 1973

Same here, just wondering if some thought the ones that came with the set are worth keeping?

25. Vinyl Fan 1973

Just got done with the Aragon show on vinyl, very cool show and another win for vinyl pressing. Now playing the CD remaster and I’m super impressed. Dynamics and clarity win the day here. This is a real enjoyable listen. Going through the book while I listen, and it’s very well done. Lots of cool stuff.