Metallica Master Of Puppets CD: 1986 Vs. 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Music_dude, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident Thread Starter

This week’s poll pits the 1986 original mastering against the 2017 remaster. Which version do you prefer and why? (Note that we’re just talking about the songs contained on MOP itself, and not any extra features contained on the 2017 bonus discs).

2. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

will be interesting to see thoughts/opinions on this.

Have sound engineers learned from the mistakes of the late 90's - early 20-teens?

Music_dude likes this.
  3. Rukiki

Rukiki Forum Resident

I would like to see how the 2017 measures vs. my favourite version of this album ( 25DP 5234 ).

I currently own the 25DP cds for the 4 first albums and I do no have any need to seek out for other versions. I purchased those based on other members recommendations and they sound awesome to me.

I have never heard the 1986 cd (I assume you mention Elektra 60439-2). I wonder if this will be the same mastering as the 25DP.

Music_dude likes this.
  4. Music_dude

For what it’s worth, after having owned the original album (cassette version ) when it first came out, and then re-acquiring it on cd some 30++ years later after my old copies were lost, I was pleasantly surprised that:

1) The original mastering was still readily available

And

2) That Metallica (of all bands) appear not to have succumbed to the loudness wars. The 2017 remaster is exceptionally well done, imho.

I was half expecting to walk into a brickwalled mess! Lol... thankfully, that didn’t happen.

krlpuretone and Clanceman like this.
  5. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yes, it's the '86 Elektra is the same as the 25DP. Actually, for MoP, the Music For Nations, Vertigo, Japan, US are all the same mastering for the early CD issues.

George P likes this.
  6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It was remastered in '95 and was quite loud. Also, the first two album recent remasters are bricked. Thankfully they improved for MoP. It's still not to my taste, but it's much better than the first two album remasters.

7. Music_dude

I still have the original mastering on disc, so that’s my go to version, and if something tops that, so much the better!

8. Music_dude

@rnranimal

Were you referring to the 2017 remaster of Ride The Lightening being brickwalled in your previous post?

9. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yes. KEA was slightly better than Ride. MoP is much better than both of them.

Music_dude likes this.
  10. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Bought the new remaster at Walmart for $5.00. Sounds better than the original. The original isn't bad, but a little thin sounding.

11. Music_dude

Thanks for the clarification. I’d read conflicting reports on RTL... I believe elsewhere it was being praised in relation to previous remasters in the 90’s and the 2011 version. I ordered it anyway a week ago and will have to judge for myself when it arrives.

12. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

The 2017 was remastered by Howie Weinberg and Gentry Studer at Howie Weinberg Mastering , Los Angeles CA.

13. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

No remaster was needed for this album IMO. The original sounds great.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    dalecooper, nosliw, sathvyre and 4 others like this.
  14. Music_dude

I picked up the new remaster mainly for the bonus features such as the demos and live concert... cool to hear.

bherbert likes this.
  15. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

The Black Album is the one that doesn't need a remaster. Master Of Puppets needed one.

16. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

2017 remaster

driverdrummer likes this.
  17. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I might actually buy this remaster if it’s not brick walled. I wonder if the Ride The Lightning remaster is also not brick walled.

18. Music_dude

rnranimal stated above that it was. Apparently MOP is the best out of the three.

bherbert and rnranimal like this.
  19. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

MoP is the best of the three with DR of mostly 9s and a couple 10s. Ride is the worst with mostly 7s and a couple 8s. KEA is mostly 7s and 8s with one 9 and one 10.

Soundslave, Music_dude and bherbert like this.
  20. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I love the 2017

21. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

I don't have the 2017, but if it boosts the low midrange and bass frequencies and still sounds great cranked, I might buy it.

22. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

I actually enjoy the 2017 more than the 86. It's hard to pinpoint but it sounds heavier and thicker without being loud. I think the new remaster of kill em all is really well done but the ride the lightning seems way louder and more shrill sounding. I had to keep adjusting the volume and got ear fatigue.

I am really looking forward to the remaster of and justice for all.

23. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

2017 remaster.

24. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Listening to the 2017 remaster and it sounds pretty good except there's an awful, distracting click on the title track on Lars' snare drum at certain points.

The part like at 1:00, with the "missing 32nd note" (I don't know how else to describe it) the snare drum has a weird click on the CD version, but YT sort of dulls it because of the compression that goes into uploading to YT (probably for the better)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

More recently Lars snare drum sound has been awful and distracting through choice.

BryanA-HTX likes this.