Metallica re-releasing Garage Days Re-Revisited on CD, LP, Cassette

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Jan 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Sounds amazing and happily for me no country restrictions :) Felt good to buy a Hi-res release again. Have a great listening :)

2. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

All the CD's and DVD's that came in the Master deluxe box, came with paper sleeves, which I loved since the 1st two boxes didn't.

The Hud likes this.
  3. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I meant to say the first 3 didn’t have paper sleeves. I have the 3 CD version of Master that’s in the digi jewel case.
    Just noticed that the digipack of the Garage Days is about 2 mm longer in height than the KEA and RTL digipacks. Maybe the bigger size is to fit the paper sleeve inside. Does the single CD of Master have the sleeve as well?

4. Vinyl Fan 1973

That I don't know, as I only bought the deluxe boxset.

5. The original EP on vinyl is one of those albums I play for folks who want to hear how great metal and hard rock can sound. I have it, along with the vinyl reissue of the garage inc. comp from a few years back, and have listened to various CD issues of the tracks over the years. I sampled the new remaster on iTunes and I could immediately tell something was different - not in a good way. I hate to comment on the new LP without having heard it on my stereo - but I figured it would have been VERY tough to better the original EP. It's sorta strange, the original came out in a time not well regarded for production and LP sound quality, but it sounds amazing to me... IMO this EP and "Ride the Lightning" are the best sounding Metallica recordings.

izombie73 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Totally agree with you on this, it simply sounds great, especially cranked up. I'd love to hear the Rhino reissue from a few years back.

I played the orange vinyl again last night and I can't put my finger on it, but something just seems off with Helpless. The HiHats don't seem right, and sound distorted. The original does not sound like that at all. The HiHats actually distract from the enjoyment, and overall I just didn't find it as powerful or enjoyable as the original.

I only hope they don't mess up Justice, as the original vinyl of that is great as well.

izombie73, mick_sh and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  7. Agreed!
    I’ve got an original UK press of Justice (uses the same DMM as US) and I love it too. I also have the 45 RPM box of Justice and the original U.K. sounds better to me. It’s a weird recording and mix anyway but that’s a whole separate thread...

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  8. Also, if my music muscle memory serves me well - the original EP sounds better than the Rhino Garage EP tracks from a while ago. I think the EP benefits from the larger grooves allowed on the original vs the Rhino.

Although - how else am I gonna rock Mercyful Fate medley or Whiskey in the jar???

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I wonder why my orange LP hasn't showed up yet? Did other people get theirs early, or mine's just taking an extended journey through the USPS?

izombie73 likes this.
  10. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Same problem with the remastered CD. Very annoying hi-hats. I guess Chris Bellman cut the vinyl with not-so-good-sounding provided hi-res files. Reminds me Death Magnetic's Kevin Gray cut. Why do good mastering engineers who are accustomed to work with master tapes and do wonderful cuts accept this kind of jobs?

11. Vinyl Fan 1973

At first I thought I had a defective copy LOL, so I exchanged it and had the same results. A friend of mine played his black vinyl and heard the same thing. Something happened for sure, it almost sounds like the HiHats are phasing in and out, and don't cut hard the way the original does.

One of the things I love about the original is how the cymbals and drums sound, and they dropped the ball on this for the new LP.

izombie73 likes this.
  12. Drums on the original sound great. Got that “decay” of real drums... hard to find on most recordings. (Maybe people don’t like it but I love it.)

13. Vinyl Fan 1973

People talk about the bass being louder on this new LP, but that's part of the issue. The new LP seems so unbalanced in its presentation, whereas the original had perfect balance. Everything sounded good and perfectly in its place. Now the bass and drums are too up front, and the vocals pushed back...and overall too bright in it's presentation.

There was no need to change it.

14. Exactly. When I listened to the iTunes version (again, not at all the same but I could tell differences) that’s what I heard as well. Bass is louder but not in a improved, well-defined way.

15. Soundslave

Well, can't say for LP but I would say that I prefer hi-res remastered over original CD files. Don't hear any problems with balance or hi-hats.

misfits73 likes this.
  16. misfits73

misfits73 Forum Resident

foobar2000 1.3.17 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2018-04-19 17:49:59

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Metallica / The $5.98 EP - Garage Days Re-Revisited (Remastered)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR10 -0.10 dB -11.73 dB 6:38 01-Helpless (Remastered)
    DR10 -0.10 dB -11.82 dB 6:41 02-The Small Hours (Remastered)
    DR12 -0.10 dB -13.39 dB 4:52 03-The Wait (Remastered)
    DR11 -0.35 dB -13.26 dB 3:09 04-Crash Course in Brain Surgery (Remastered)
    DR12 -0.20 dB -12.87 dB 3:30 05-Last Caress / Green Hell (Remastered)

Number of tracks: 5
    Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 3361 kbps
    Codec: FLAC

This is now my fav digital sourse, original cd sounds thin, haven't received yet the remastered cd, don't know how the 16/44.1 FLAC from Metstore sounds.
    Cymbals on this one don't sound harsh at all through my Proacs

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Soundslave likes this.
  17. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Seems to me the consensus is the high res is the one to get. Is it a different mastering from the vinyl/cd?

18. Vinyl Fan 1973

Yes, it's unique.

19. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

Anyone able to do a sound compare between original and the Hi Res files yet?
    I got the long box and orange vinyl for collectors items I also have the original on CD and am curious if the Hi Res sound better.

20. Soundslave

If you look at DR numbers on the database, CD and Hi-Res files definitely look like different mastering.

Vinyl Fan provided a quote from Metallica forums, that Hi-Res version was a special audiophile master. The point is I'm still confused if vinyl was based on that Hi-Res version or not.
    If you're talking about original 1987 CD check my post above :)

21. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl analyzed:

For those of you interested, I finally finished ripping the Vinyl and here’s the DR Values. Was surprised to see the Vinyl is slightly louder than the High Rez release. Either way, it still sounds phenomenal. Manual De-click and De-hum with Volume Normalized to -.10dB. No EQ or other changes were applied.
    http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/146237

Analyzed: Metallica / The $5.98 E.P. Garage Days Re-Revisited (2018 Remaster 33rpm 180 Gram Vinyl) 192kHz-24bit
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR10 -1.04 dB -12.90 dB 6:40 01-Helpless (Remastered)
    DR10 -0.77 dB -12.73 dB 6:42 02-The Small Hours (Remastered)
    DR9 -0.50 dB -11.38 dB 4:52 03-The Wait (Remastered)
    DR9 -0.79 dB -12.21 dB 3:10 04-Crash Course In Brain Surgery (Remastered)
    DR10 -0.10 dB -11.80 dB 3:30 05-Last Caress/Green Hell (Remastered)

Number of tracks: 5
    Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate: 192000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 9216 kbps
    Codec: PCM

Took this from the Metallica forum, I guess that rules out the source of the vinyl coming from the High Rez file....the vinyl does not sound phenomenal....

izombie73 likes this.
  22. Soundslave

There is an entry at DR database on vinyl rip too, well looks like only Hi Res version has an additional preparation. I guess I'm ok without vinyl.

23. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I found the orange indie store copy. Against my better judgment, i bought it. Even though i read what you and other board regulars have posted about the sound quailty. Damn these collector impulses.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

So the High Res files is better than the new CD?

25. Soundslave

as you can read above - definitely better. I would even rate Hi-res version above original 1987 CD, but that's my personal tonal preference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.