Metallica re-releasing Garage Days Re-Revisited on CD, LP, Cassette

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Jan 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Kevin Gray did a cut of Death Magnetic? Didn't know that.

2. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

3. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

I still remember reading that the mastering engineer received the masters already compressed, so he barely could do anything with them. Glad they did release a better version.

4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Totally understand, I wasn’t going to buy it, and said as much, but once I saw it, I just had to have the orange vinyl.

5. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I still haven’t opened my orange vinyl. Based on the SQ reports I think I’ll get it mounted and framed. It’s the first Metallica album I ever bought, so it has great sentimental value.

izombie73 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  6. Blueshirt

Blueshirt Forum Resident

I went with the black vinyl as my main RSD 2018 purchase, it will get played a lot so well worth it... (That's not to say I won't get the Orange version at a later day though!)

izombie73, Michael Rose and theshape like this.
  7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Wow is it ever better than the new CD!

8. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

So after listening... I'm happy with my purchase. It is not a perfect lp. Through my modest set up, it sounds good to my ears. There was not piercing high end and Jason's bass was fully present. The vinyl itself is very quiet and no IGD. I trust the consensus saying that the og CD and hi-res files are more appealing. That said, the record looks so cool in transparent orange and will be my go to copy at home.

keef, metalrules, izombie73 and 6 others like this.
  9. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I have a modest system as well and sounds good to me as well and that is all that matters. Good post by the way !

10. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Still really enjoy Garage Inc as well. I'm not much of a classic rock guy and so their covers of Turn the Page and Whiskey in the Jar etc are my preferred versions of those. The latter has apparently been covered endlessly but I'm only familiar with Metallica and Thin Lizzy's performances.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Ryan_Pretzel and tinnox like this.
  11. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Brenald79 likes this.
  12. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Very possible. Your Blue cartridge just might not be cutting it.

13. Vinyl Fan 1973

Nah, Blue Carts just fine, but thanks. A subpar mastering is just that, subpar.

14. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

You are very vocal, even dismissing an entire forums opinion. Ortofon Blue isn’t exactly an audiophiles dream cartridge. We get that you aren’t happy with the mastering. But just be okay with the fact that others disagree with you.

15. Vinyl Fan 1973

I have zero issue with people disagreeing with me, I’ve liked posts of those saying they like it.

My cart is not the issue. I own audiophile pressing from every major company that puts vinyl out without any issues. Metallica Garage Days is not an audiophile LP LOL.

Also, I’m not sure there is a consensus as of yet for the LP, and I’m certainly not the lone voice talking about how disappointed I am with it.

I think I have a level of respect on this forum when it comes to my feedback. I’m fair and objective and when I’ve been wrong, I’ll admit it. People contact me offline all the time asking for my feedback and I’m happy to share it.

Also, do you accuse people of being too vocal when they agree with your analysis?

You don’t agree with my assessment yet others have, on this forum and others, and that is fine. If you actually enjoy the pressing, I’m happy for you.

Soundslave, Ivand, izombie73 and 3 others like this.
  16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Can't say I like their cover of Seger better than the original, (or at least the "Live Bullet" version), but I agree on Whiskey In The Jar. The Metallica version of this is my favorite.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  17. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

It just gets a bit redundant when the same forum member feels the need to post with the same info, disregard others comments, etc., ad nauseum. We get it. Let others listen and form their own opinion. As for me, I just purchased the lp yesterday and haven’t had a chance to listen to it because I blew a darned tube on my amp. I’ve heard the original, and while I’m not expecting quality like that from this remaster, I’m hoping that I won’t be disappointed.

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  18. Vinyl Fan 1973

Fair enough. I hope you enjoy.

I333I, izombie73 and Echoes Myron like this.
  19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

James Bennett and izombie73 like this.
  20. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

He’s respectfully offering his opinion on the sound quality of a record on an appropriate thread on an audiophile music forum. Not really understanding the problem here.

21. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

It's gonna be three times for me. LOL... Damn you Metallica for making me triple dip!!! :laugh:

Of course I had to get the longbox, for nostalgic sake. The Orange vinyl, another no brainer!
    But whats this! Ah, talk about a High Res file? Yes, and maybe even one that will be sounding good!?
    Well, I guess I'm in for that :pineapple:

Dorian75 and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

BTW, your info about what to look for on Metallica CDs to know if it’s a secret remaster or not is gold!

Vinyl Fan 1973 and izombie73 like this.
  23. Vinyl Fan 1973

:righton: Thanks, I appreciate that, and happy you find it helpful.

24. Vinyl Fan 1973

I'm going to have to check out this High Res file, you all got me curious now. Also, my OCD is kicking in as I'm now looking at getting the long box version, that does look sweet.

izombie73 and Soundslave like this.
  25. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

I used to love getting my new CD's in longboxes back in the day. I would go to the local Sound Warehouse and browse the new music section weekly. The lenticular cover however is what really sold it for me, it just looks cool.

Let me know your thoughts on the High Res files :tiphat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.