Metallica: Too Heavy For Halftime

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Kent, Feb 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident Thread Starter

in case you missed it last night.

BryanA-HTX, Purple, SamS and 2 others like this.
  2. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I would have prefered to see Metallica than the Super Bowl

Vinyl Addict, Terry, CrewU and 8 others like this.
  3. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

James still got it, but Kirk and Lars have become sloppy as hell live

No new song?, they are supposed to be finishing the new record, still good to see them

4. Jeff Kent

For a while James was singing a little too well, by that I mean using better technique. He didn't sound like James at all. It sounds like he has either learned how to sound like his old self using proper technique or just said the Hell with it and went back to his old voice. The mix is thin and tinny for such a big set-up. More aluminum foil than Heavy Metal. That said, it was cool to see them open with Creeping Death.

JasonA likes this.
  5. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I thought they sounded good. Lars needs to stop being a bit lazy on some of the double bass drum parts. For example on the song Ride The Lightning he didn't really play double bass at all like on the studio version.

As far as them playing halftime, I bet they'll be playing that in the future. They definitely have enough commercial songs that people will know.

GodShifter and heepsterandrey like this.
  6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Lars can't pull off live what he put on tape 20-30 years ago. He can barely play their more recent stuff live. I think he's an awful drummer, for being in such a big band. He's been the weak link in their sound, particularly live, for quite some time.

7. Jeff Kent

But he stands up a lot and raises his fist in the air! So Metal!

chrischerm, ARK, Vinyl Addict and 6 others like this.
  8. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

How do we not hear about these things until after they happen!!! :(

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  9. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

Surprised they're not wheeling them out at halftime for one verse of Enter Sandman, with Beyonce singing harmony vocals.

2trackmind, mmars982 and JohnnyQuest like this.
  10. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Thanks for posting!

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Following your favorite band(s) via Twitter or signing up for their email updates can keep you up to date on this stuff. Metallica has been hyping this for weeks via those channels, and others.

I watch the entire 2+ hour set last night, it was pretty good, if a little predictable. They didn't make much use of the stage "ramps" until near the end of the show. Pretty impressive stage, regardless. I'd say the performance was about on par from what we've seen from the for the past 10 years or so. Lars look a bit worn out though.

stodgers likes this.
  12. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I think he was signaling for medics.

ARK and EwaWoowa like this.
  13. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Maybe he needed something for the spasms in his legs...

ARK and rnranimal like this.
  14. Jeff Kent

I know it's unfair to compare...but watch and listen to this version of Creeping Death from 1993. They just don't have that 'fica' anymore.

15. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I bet Metallica would have given the players an energy boost. That was the most boring Super Bowl I've ever seen!!!

16. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Ah, Metallica aren't my favorite band or anything, I was just whining a bit because they've been hyping the damn halftime show so much and that looked to be terrible. This was something I actually would have wanted to see instead.

17. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

I've never heard him so sluggish with the kick drums. Really awful.

18. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Wow. Never mind. I just sat through Creeping Death. Hammett is butchering the solo while Lars seems to think the kick is an arbitrary drum beat. That's enough for me.

19. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I love Metallica. But damn Kirk's Creeping Death solo is just atrocious, just amateur bad. He plays some absolutely deadly precise solos on Ride and Master, but that was a long time ago. Listen to Ride the Lightning in that show, it practically sounds like a pop song, just no teeth at all.

Metallica reminds me of what Mickey said to Rocky in Rocky 3, 'the worst thing happened to you that could happen to a fighter, you got civilized'.

They deserve to be happy and to work as little as they do, but it decays and destroys their physical skills and passion.

What's frustrating as a fan is that at their current pace, assuming they get an album out this year (which is a HUGE assumption), James will be 53 which means their next album won't come out until he's 60, then 67. I hate that. I just hate that.

It's funny too because when these artists are dying as they have been lately there's a call to enjoy what you have, while you can. Metallica will be gone one day, I get that. I just wish they'd Kirk and James would practice their instruments more and they'd kick out some studio work that doesn't sound like it was produced by a deaf person.

relaxdrax and stodgers like this.
  20. Jeff Kent

I'm happy for James that he's sober and in good health, I am. But I liked drunk angry James better as a fan.

DrBeatle likes this.
  21. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I miss that band. /sniff

22. Jeff Kent

Agreed, they were a true power to behold up into the mid 90s.

23. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Lars has always been the luckiest drummer in the world. Similar to Don Henley (another rubbish drummer), insomuch as if he wasn't the founder of the band and their mouth piece, he'd have been dumped years ago.

Larry Schmidt and GodShifter like this.
  24. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

At least Henley could sing.

25. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

After watching this, are you actually going to say that this drumming performance is crap, as Kerrang! would put it?

coffeetime likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.