Metropolis

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlelennon65, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

I just got the new Metropolis dvd from Kino at Border's. I had to look all over town to find it and looked at Border's last because I knew they would have it. It was 30 bucks which is MSRP. The video quality is incredible. The last time I saw this movie was on video about 7 years ago. The video on that release was horrible. I remember my GF and I watched it and thought it was really good, if a bit strange. The workers moving in sync like androids always struck me as incredibly cool. The audio is great as is expected. There is also a booklet on the restoration and a short segment on the restoration. I cant say enough about the great video quality of this 75 year old movie. This is a must buy, a real classic. Now if they would just release the Errol Flynn Adventures of Robin Hood, I would be happy.

2. RDK

RDK Active Member

Thanks for the review. I've been waiting for this one to come out. Have some Tower credit that's burnin' a hole in my pocket...

3. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Yeah, Beatlelennon65 kind of "beatled" me to reviewing Metropolis! ;)

This is the kind of sumptuous restoration all classic movies should receive; anyone who hasn't picked this up yet doesn't know what they're missing! BTW, on a properly set up direct view digital widescreen TV using a progressive scan DVD player that can display black sidebars this film's gentle fade on the edges meshes with the black background so well that you would almost think that it was intended as a WS release! It's a strange phenomenon, I assure you, but aesthetically very real.

:cheers:
    Cat

4. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Good to hear that the Kino release is good. I've only seen Metropolis on the junky VHS releases that have been around forever. Can't wait to pick up a copy.

5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

The only negative that I can think of was pointed out in the review from thedigitalbits.com:

"it's worth noting that the restored film was recently projected in Germany at 20 fps (frames per second), with a live orchestra providing the accompaniment. Kino's U.S. exhibition of the restored film was projected at a sound speed of 24 fps, so that the newly recorded score could be included on the print. Different projection speeds mean different running times for the film. Kino's 24 fps choice is also how it has been presented on this DVD. I would have preferred it if the telecine for the DVD had been done at the 20 fps speed, and then the recorded soundtrack could have been edited to match the visuals. But such is not the case. The result is that some of the film's originally intended impact is lessened, often to comedic effect, as characters move faster than was intended. It's not a tragedy, but it is a significant nit... and one that is well worth picking."

Like I said, I was so pleased with how good it looked, that it didn't bother me much, but like the reviewer states, it would have been nice. Thank Kino, I now can get rid of the memories of the Madacy DVD of this movie (the DVD of which, I got rid of quickly).

6. R. Cat Conrad

Well, you present a sound and well debated point Pinknik and I, like you, would've prefered a 20fps speed on the release. However, there is a logical counter argument which I recently read that explained, with some justification, the 24fps speed. The proposition was put forth was that the initial release in this country was also speeded up to at least 24fps perhaps a bit higher in many theaters and indeed may have been filmed with that speed in mind according to Lang's wishes. I have no way of verifying the validity of this viewpoint, but indeed longer movies were often speeded up, at least in the U.S., toward the end of the silent era, in order for movie houses to increase their number of showings. In Metropolis most of the slightly speeded up shots don't really impact the film negatively, with the possible exception of running scenes and, more noticeably, robot Maria's dance sequence in the jazz club.

FTR, if there ever is a 20fps release of the restored Metropolis I'm sure that I'll buy it as quick as I would one of Steve's remastered SACDs of a personal favorite album. :p

Cat

7. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

Metropolis is wonderful - as everyone else here has said. The additional stuff is also interesting, especially about how painstaking they were in restoring the film. I just wish they had more history about the film... Hard to imagine it bombed at its premier!

Dave

8. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I'm glad I ordered a copy from Amazon in advance, I haven't seen this thing in stores anywhere. Definitely one of the most impressive DVD's I've seen, certainly the best silent film DVD I've seen. Made me want to skip my old Madacy copy across the the Susquehanna River

9. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

I gotta get this disc

10. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Beatlelennon65, I ordered a copy of Kino's "Metropolis" after reading your thread starter. Didn't realize it was out till This thread. Did see a copy at Circuit City today but I'd already placed an order elsewhere.

11. R. Cat Conrad

Yep, as restorations go this stands as one of the best; while we're on the subject here are some of my other silent film DVD recommendations (no particluar order):

The Iron Mask with Douglas Fairbanks (KINO) 2002 release with Carl Davis orchestratral score; restoration produced by Kevin Brownlow. This is an awesome looking film and includes the rare recorded introduction and intermission by Fairbanks on sound equipment that was still in it's infancy.

The Matinee Idol, non-PC comedy with direction by Frank Capra (Columbia) includes full length documentary on Capra; this is an amazing restoration that really pushes the envelope of what can be done for damaged films that would otherwise be lost.

The Lost World (Image release from Blackhawk films collection) most complete version available, restored from the best surviving materials; includes 2 separate scores - one modern & one traditional by Robert Israel, and includes 13 minutes of animation outtakes!

Faust (KINO) F. W. Murnau's brilliant impressionist film; while not touted as being a restoration, this is an excellent print from very nice 35mm materials! A must see film every bit as eye-popping as Metropolis, but in an entirely different manner. Produced by David Shepherd with a Timothy Brock, Chamber Orchestra score.

My Best Girl (Image release of a Milestone Collection film) One of Mary Pickford's finest silent films, clever to the point of being a timeless classic! It's not what I consider a restoration by any means, but the 35mm source materials are in very fine shape nonetheless. Contains an original symphonic score by David Michael Frank.

Passion of Joan of Arc (Criterion) Beautiful frame by frame restoration of a film once thought lost until 35mm source materials were discovered in an insane asylum closet. Passion has a gothic choral score, but was intended to be seen without sound accompaniment by it's Director, Carl Theodor Dreyer, who made the film based entirely from the transcripts of her trial. The film was shot almost entirely in close-ups and has a more contemporary look than any other silent film I've seen.

This should do for starters! :D

Cat

12. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

In the early 80's, I got to see the film on a Video Yesteryear VHS tape. They were bad dubbed from ancient prints videos.

The Actress who played Joan, Renee Falconetti, was a facinating presence on the screen. her face IS the whole movie.

13. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Based on the recommendations in this thread, I was all set to go to Borders, Tower, and Circuit City to check out the new Kino Metropolis DVD. Unfortunately, all I found were empty parking lots, vacant storefronts, and tumbleweeds.

The restored Kino Blu-ray of Metropolis is pretty cool, though, so I guess it turned out OK.

I would enjoy a trip to Tower, Borders, or Circuit City, in that order.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  14. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Have you tried looking for it at Blockbuster Video?

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  15. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Hilarious! "Hi, welcome to Cast Aside formats and Shopping Styles Lane. BestBuy is just around the corner if you need them. But you should hurry, they are about to close". :)

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  16. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

When this thread gets resurrected again in 2028, we'll be laughing because not only will Best Buy and Amazon be long gone, but we're watching the new Metropolis restoration on our new Apple iRetina implants and Disney-Google Corp. will be readying Star Wars XVII: Jabba's Revenge for 4D cortical release..

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    carrick doone, Donniej and moops like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.