MFSL "Dark Side of the Moon" gold CD source in question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stax Fan, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Stumbled across this on the web the other day...scroll down the page roughly half way to the section covering the MFSL 2nd pressing of the "Dark Side of the Moon" LP. At the end of this section is a heading entitled Dark Side of the Moon LP Production Note. Former MFSL employee Gregg Schnitzer has some interesting insights on the "Dark Side of the Moon" gold CD editions.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PFArchives/DMFSL.htm

2. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Nice article. I'm still not convinced about the exact amount of LPs of Dark Side, which were pressed. I'll bet there were more than 25,000!

3. krabapple

krabapple New Member

"
    Listening Test: In the late 1980s, a blind listening test was conducted at the University of Miami. An MFSL record, cassette,
    and CD of the same album were played to a group of listeners, and the Original Master Recording High Fidelity Cassette was
    consistently picked as the best sounding copy."

:D

4. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Any stamper information regarding the LP used in this test :confused:

They weren't all equal.

And I wonder how the VHS 16/44 transfer sounds too? Probably a couple dozen in existence.

5. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

And that's a cassette made from a digital master, yes? Also, a cassette with Dolby B encoding? Interesting.

Gardo

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No, an analog master.

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

So many variables to those results. Could've been a scratchy record. Maybe they played the tape back without the Dolby engaged making it brighter. And don't forget the cassette tape itself, even with the Dolby on, will add a certain amount of tape compression which they may have liked. I'm assuming this wasn't a group of audiophiles.

8. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Not all cassettes at MFSL were duped from digital masters, though all that were sold publicly were (from what I understand). Dolby B, BASF chrome tape. Metal tape was sometimes used, but I forget who manufactured it.

They could have been auditioning one of their production tapes, some of which were duped in real time from the master on the highest quality cassette decks, probably tweaked to the hilt by techs at MFSL.

9. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

I have that cassette!

10. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Robert,

How is the sound?....just curious!

Bob

11. krabapple

krabapple New Member

It was a question of *preference*after all...conducted at a university.
    <big smiley here>

btw,

"Cassette Production: MFSL Original Master Recording High Fidelity Cassettes were produced using a one-to-one real time cassette transfer from the original master tapes. No equalization was used during the duplication process. The original cassette master was then transferred, using state of the art equipment, onto high bias BASF Chromium Dioxide tapes for maximum frequency response and minimal background noise. '

12. Stax Fan

Here's a link to the interview with Gregg Schnitzer from which the "Dark Side of the Moon" comments were taken. It's rather long, but very interesting. As Mr. Schnitzer headed MFSL's cassette division, there's a lot of commentary on that subject.

http://www.aurealm.com/violet.htm

13. Mike V

Mike V New Member

This doesn't address what format the cassette master is. I believe it was 16/44.1 pcm digital for the publicly available stock copies (using what kind of machine, I'm not sure). Anyone who knows for sure, please chime in!

I can't imagine any record company in their right mind allowing anyone to use their master tape as a cassette production tape, running it dozens and dozens of times just to produce a few hundred tapes? Anyone who thinks the stock MFSL cassettes are direct dupes from master tapes is probably mistaken.

14. Mike V

Mike V New Member

:) Can't Delete???

15. Stax Fan

Just changing cassette "program" to cassette "division"...sounded better!

16. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yeah, I coulnd't delete posts either. :(

17. Stax Fan

Gotcha...thought you were talking about MY edit!

18. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Oh certainly not! Thanks for the link. Some good stuff there.

19. Steve Hoffman

Of course they didn't use the master mix to run cassettes from.

They made a copy and used that.

Anyone ever hear the cassette series? What do they sound like?

20. Mike V

Mike V New Member

You obviously haven't visited eBay recently :sigh:

Sellers will claim anything.

21. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Maybe I read the interview too quickly, but I thought I saw that the cassettes were duplicated from a digital master that had been made from the original master.

On another note, I always had serious doubts whether MFSL got the actual original aster tapes for ALL of their albums. (Did EMI really let them take the Beatles' masters out of Abbey Road?) And I have even more doubts about whether they got that master back over and over for all the recuts and reissues!

Gardo

22. Steve Hoffman

Yes, yes, and yes, they got the Beatles' masters from Abbey Road and 99% of everything else they did was from original masters.

23. Mike V

Mike V New Member

What's with the other 1% :confused:

Could that be "Who's Next" & "Live At Leeds"? Were there others??

I just remembered "Kinks / Kinda Kinks". Ouch....

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Those, Tommy, probably Quad and Who Are You as well.

25. Steve Hoffman

"Magical Mystery Tour", and Jethro Tull "Stand Up". Can't think of any more off the top of my head other than the later Who and first Kinks LP though. They did try really damn hard to get the right tapes though....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.