MFSL "Dark Side of the Moon" gold CD source in question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stax Fan, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Really! That will surprise a lot of people here, I think.

So were the Quad & Who Are You masters alternate mixes that Pete had, or analog remasters like Who's Next?

BTW, I also think Rush supplied some alternate master for "Signals"...

Ok, sorry to drift from the thread topic :angel:

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

How can they say "Original Master Recording" when some of them aren't. Shouldn't they have backed out of doing that album and moved on to something else? Sort of false advertising.

3. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Probably surprise the people paying > $100 for used copies on Ebay, too!

:D

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You guys misunderstand me.

They didn't KNOW they weren't using the right masters those one or two times it happened. I know that certain tapes marked "Do Not Use" are the ones to use, but not everyone understands.

Point is, they THOUGHT they were using the correct masters. There was no false advertising there. They assumed that if a tape is marked "master", it's the master. Can't fault them.

5. Mike V

Mike V New Member

I wouldn't say I misunderstand or that I'm MFSL bashing, but I'm curious. Kind of like the feeling I got knowing your great MCA Who's Next is from the original master tape, and I didn't ever have to consider selling my soul to get the definitive version (presumed to be MFSLs) :)

6. krabapple

krabapple New Member

". The real confusing part about that product [GeoTape alignment tape] is that the audiophiles would buy all kinds of snake oil and tools for the turntables but you couldn't get them to turn one little screw on a cassette deck to achieve nirvana. The sound of those cassettes properly aligned on a quality deck with Dolby just trashed the vinyl format. Go figure. "

-- Gregg Schnitzer, MFSL interview cited elsewhere in this thread

7. Mike V

Mike V New Member

So you're saying MFSL's cassettes trashed MFSL's vinyl, in Gregg's opinion. And this is supposed to mean??? :confused:

8. krabapple

krabapple New Member

This is the case, then, with Magical Mystery Tour? (Schnitzer claims in the interview that the Mofi LP was made from the original mono master tapes, the cassette from stereo).

9. krabapple

krabapple New Member

Apaprenlty it means I shouldn't have left off the :D

I thought it was funny, in that it flies in the face of standard audiophile dogma.

It also answers, in a way, SH's question: someone who heard them, thought the cassettes sounded great (better than vinyl, even).

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Check our archives. MMT MoFi problems are covered in great detail..

11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

The source for the cassettes would have been an analogue tape copy (or copies) made from when they had access to the original master. They would never have archived on a low resolution system like 16/44 PCM. I can see Stan Ricker shaking his head at such a suggestion.

Regards,
    Metralla

12. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Part of the reason I posted the 2nd link was that it illustrated an important parallel with, of all labels, Rhino. Both have taken their share of criticism and though they've had they're shortcomings, they were pioneers in rereleasing music. MFSL identified the niche market for audiophile recordings and both demonstrated the value of a then-overlooked asset of the record companies, their archives. No doubt this saved countless master tapes from which we can now enjoy the benefits. Neither was/is perfect, but I think we owe both a debt of gratitude as music lovers. Without them, there's no telling how much we would've missed.

13. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Oh My! When I think of how much I paid for my copy of "Stand Up".......:bigeek:

Oh well, still a great CD (IMO)

Also, didn't they use the LP master for Otis Blue and a few of the Sinatra CDs were from LP masters (or so I heard) :sigh:

14. Kevin Korom

Kevin Korom New Member

"Anyone ever hear the cassette series? What do they sound like?"

They sound like a cassette; warm, rolled off, very bassy. Even if you realign the tapehead, it still lacks clarity & bite in the top end. If you had a *screamingly* bright system, the cassette might be favored, but it doesn't sound anything like the LP or CD. They were also recorded very low, which makes them a bit hissy.

I have two copies on cassette BTW, apparently some form of temporary insanity circa 1983:o I have Supertramp's COTC too, which suffers the same way.

15. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Sure you can... check out the archives.... it's been done hundreds of times on this board! :)

-Jeffrey

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, I don't think that's the case (not in every case, anyway). I believe for Tommy, for example, they *stated* that they couldn't find "the masters", and thought that Pete's tape would be the "next best thing". I think something was even said along the lines of "while we couldn't find the original master, we think you'll be pleased with this alternate version of Eyesight To The Blind" or something...

I'm sure they knew Live At Leeds and Who's Next weren't the "original masters", unless they were trying to bend the term a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.