MFSL inner sleeves leaving marks on my vinyl...ever encounter this problem?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bayen, Nov 28, 2012.

1. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

update: I receive today the "diskeepers" the normal (like the mfsl) http://www.sleevecityusa.com/diskeeper-audiophile-inner-sleeve-50-pack-p/312nrps.htm and the "audiophile" double paper http://www.sleevecityusa.com/diskeeper-ultimate-audiophile-inner-sleeve-p/312nlps.htm; so I now compare with mofi:

first say than, looks both diskeppers and mofi are made with same materials but, some differences:

1. mofi and diskeepers have EXACT SAME size, maybe I confusing but some people here says that diskeppers are too big, I dont understand why say that, this both are totally the same size than mofi, so thats great, the size is good for me, match good for any sleeve.

2. YES, the diskeppers are more "heavy" than the filmsy (skinny I dont know the word but you understand me) mofi's, the plastic and paper looks like the same material of the mofis but more heavy! thats seems be good BUT!!! I just think "that heavy thing can be bad in some way? maybe scratch a little the record, I mean the mofi is filmsy (skinny I dont know the word but you understand me), so maybe are better??" I just say... what you think guys????

3. the diskpeers, yes still keep the ugly logo, :( logo more 2 arrows, mofis have a lot logo arrows etc.. etc... (just a cosmetic things if you ask me)

and well I hope dont get again the mfsl problem... I test with one record, I check in ONE MONTH for see the results, but! I really like the heavy "audiophile" double paper http://www.sleevecityusa.com/diskeeper-ultimate-audiophile-inner-sleeve-p/312nlps.htm I only think like I say that "heavyness" maybe can be a downside for record care?

2. Sean V

Sean V Well-Known Member

An interesting addendum to this whole nightmare, as these sleeves caused me to have a complete neurotic episode:

When i first got into cleaning records earlier this year, I went out and bought a Spin Clean and a few packs of Mofi sleeves. After a cleaning session, I posted this message, which nobody responded to, as they apparently thought I was either crazy or mentally challenged:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...r-record-cleaning-question-spin-clean.309500/

Turns out I was putting my freshly cleaned records into the infected Mofi sleeves. It gets worse...I then listened to the records and what I heard caused me to come down hard on the Spin Clean, and subsequently decide in my own mind that everyone was deaf as they just couldn't hear what I was hearing:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ready-to-pull-the-trigger-on-a-spin-clean-system.312752/

So after much heartache and money spent (including buying new copies of several records such as the AF Kate Bush Hounds of Love, as the crackling was destroying my ability to enjoy the album), turns out the problem was the sleeves. The dust from the sleeves was causing the "watermark" looking spots, which if I would have thought about it were the impressions from the sleeves where my fingers were pressing the sleeve into the vinyl as I was holding it (If I would have really been on my game I would have noticed that's why it was always worse on one side).

Additionally, the residue was building up on my needle and causing the "crackling", which caused me to curse the Spin Clean and swear off record cleaning for the time being.

As it stands now I currently have probably 100 albums contaminated by these sleeves, many worth $50-$300. I don't have the time to worry about this right now. One day I'll get the chance to go through them, inspect every record for the prints, clean them again (with my Spin Clean that I almost sold), and re-sleeve them.

The only happiness out of this nightmare is I actually know now (thanks to this thread and the diligence of those who kept up the good fight) what the problem was.

Vinylistener likes this.
  3. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

hey, you scared me with this, let me explain:

1. well first yes I have a very expensive records inside that damn infected sleeves

2. I DONT have a RCM right now for cleaning so all stay on the infected sleeves right now, I dont see the point of replace if I dont have a way for cleaning right now, I have a package of MOFI's without! the problem I can confirm that because I test on record around 2 or 3 months and NO problem anymore, so you suggest replace even if I dont have right now a way to cleaning? Im saving for a PRO RCM.

3. The spin clean with all my respect and the owners is just a "toy" plastic RCM... if you have records of $50 $300 o expensive like that, they deserve a REAL cleaning machine, VPI, Okki Nokki etc... I have records in the same range of money so:

BUT MY BIG QUESTION is for you and all persons that have this problem:

After cleaning!!! The records the problem dissapear? Or not? All my records even cleaning in a pro rcm like vpi or okki nokki are damaged forever!!!???? :eek::cry:

God I hope that response is "yes dont worry buddy... after cleaning with a RCM the problem dissapear"
    all my records are totally mint and not cheap pressings, range $50 to more for each one, Im sure that take me years get all in this condition.

:help::help::help::help::help:

4. Sean V

Sean V Well-Known Member

Stenway..I don't know the answers to your questions. Since I never re-cleaned the infected albums I'm not sure. I'm assuming a good, proper cleaning would remedy any problems. I know I'm not helping matters by waiting to address these records, but I just don't have the time now to go through my collection, find them, clean them, and resleeve them in new sleeves.

Can a record sit around say, 2 years in these sleeves, then get cleaned and be 100%? Good question.

5. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

my records are in that inners for around 9 months, so tomorrow even I dont have the RCM I go to replace that damn inners and use the new ones and wait for buy a RCM and hope that the problem dissapear forever,

any other people with the problem that clean? the problem dissapear?

ok I dont have RCM, but I can buy a hand tool for cleaning manually a little... whats the 1st step tool for cleaning? something like this: http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7281-mobile-fidelity-record-brush-mfsl.aspx or? other, help please

6. David.m

David.m Forum Resident

In my experience the marks/residue left by the affected MFSL sleeves is easily cleaned from an LP no matter how far into the future you clean it. I wouldn't be too keen on playing them though until cleaned, you would just be forcing the dirt deeper into the grooves. Of course there is little value cleaning the LP then returning it into the affected sleeve. If you want to manually clean the affected records before you spend on an RCM you could try a woman's make-up brush & home made cleaning solution & dry with micro-fibre cloths, time consuming but it will remove the residue left by the sleeve.

7. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I think Mobile Fidelity should resolve their defective product issue with proper replacements and offer an apology. And pay for all damaged records to be professionally cleaned. Period. They charge a premium price for everything from brushes to blank cdr's. Their reputation has always been very good with me - I've never had a problem with their sleeves but wont buy any more for now until they acknowledge this. Outrageous.

Are these sleeves also used in their recent lps?

Sean V likes this.
  8. bayen

bayen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, my new MOFI Dylan BOTT LP had the white residue on the vinyl...I was surprised...thought MOFI stated that the issue had been resolved. When I started this thread I had around 200 LP's that needed to be re-cleaned...down to less than 50 at this time. The residue is easily removed but it's been such a hassle! Sorry to hear others are still having problems...I personally will never purchase the MFSL sleeves again. Good luck

9. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Yes, after cleaning, the problems will be gone.

1. Clean the record on a good RCM.
    2. Place the freshly cleaned record in a fresh, clean inner sleeve.

I've had a couple MOFI LPs that had this problem. Cleaned them, put them in new sleeves and played them without problems.

I've had many more problems with RTI sleeves. Many of my Rhino LPs were infected with bad sleeves. Some of those LPs were pressed in 2010, so the record was "infected" for about 3 years. After a good cleaning, the record played fine and there were no signs of the infection.

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I had a some of the bad sleeves too. I was using a Spin Clean but recently bought an Okki Nokki and after a clean on it using AVIS one step cleaning fluid the white crap is gone. The last pack of MFSL sleeves that I bought are fine.

11. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I have never had the MoFi problem, but as I mentioned before, the pink inner sleeves from RTI have the same problem -- they leave a sticky white residue that gets transferred to the record surface where your fingers touch the sleeve. I kept wondering why white fingerprints kept showing up on my cleaned records -- for a while I guessed that someone had handled the record while it was still warm. Crazy. If not cleaned, the residue builds up on the stylus in just a couple of minutes and causes all kinds of noise and distortion problems. But a cleaning will fix it. Unfortunately, I had well over 100 double albums with these nasty inner sleeves. It took a couple of months of cleaning some every day to finally get through most of them, though I know there are still some I haven't gotten to.

I suggest looking up threads on diy vacuum record cleaning machines -- I made one for about $25 that I guarantee will rival any one out there. Nothing beats vacuum cleaning, IME.

The only good part of this for me is I discovered the Sleevecity Ultimate Diskeeper inner sleeves. At first I thought they were too thick, but now I love them.

12. sgb

sgb Senior Member

+1 on the vacuum cleaning.

I haven't had any problems with inner sleeves leaving white marks, though.

13. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

thanks guys! I now calm :angel: now I know that just need cleaning for resolve the problem, by the way music direct send a replace! for free and this dont have the problem, so if you want buy more talk with music direct and tell before buy "hey send me the good ones" you know... http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7291-mobile-fidelity-mfsl-inner-sleeves-pkg-50.aspx

but please any suggestion for clean without a RCM? I know I know that good way is with a true RCM but I dont have the money now, I need some brush used for RCM use for cleaning a little and put in the new sleeves, later when I buy a RCM I clean all and put again in new sleeves.

vacuum cleaning machine for $25 ??????????? HOW! any tutorial? video?

14. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Just go to google and search diy vacuum rcm. There's a bunch of stuff on AudioKarma.

15. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

16. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Is this still an issue? Anyone buy some lately? I just bought some online and will try it on a useless record.

17. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

wow scary... I read your replay and Im watching Twin Peaks right now! :hide: lol

buy the mofi without problems in musicdirect.com, they send me a replacement and now they sold inners without the problem, for be sure write a email before buy asking for mofis without the problem, his customer support is really good.

18. sgb

sgb Senior Member

It's not an issue for me. Three new packs since June, and no problems encountered.

19. That's good to hear since I need more. It should be said I have not experienced any issues with the MoFi sleeves in the past. Phew!

20. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  21. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Wet cleaning is really the only way. You should stretch your budget and at least get a SpinClean.
    http://www.musicdirect.com/p-731-spin-clean-starter-kit-record-washer-system-mk2.aspx

22. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

I decided to take a chance again and bought a pack at Princeton Record Exchange (about a month ago) No residue... Assuming the problem is fixed as they say...

23. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Do not get the In The Groove record cleaner. It leaves a residue of its own, and it's much harder to remove than the stuff from the inner sleeves.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  24. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

new artwork in front! so maybe a sign that mofi let clear that news are issue free? maybe... that the reason of new artwork

[​IMG]

25. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I never realized there was a general problem with Mofi sleeves. I've used hundreds (maybe a thousand) over the last two years and never had issues with a single one. The new artworks is probably just that: new artwork.