MFSL inner sleeves leaving marks on my vinyl...ever encounter this problem?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bayen, Nov 28, 2012.

1. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

should be good that you report that to Mofi, that helps that they stop to use that inners on his releases.

2. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Yes, my Mofi Swingin' Session and Where Are You? copies had a funky powdery residue all over the vinyl. They were sealed records sent from Music Direct. Definitely it was the inner sleeves that caused the problem. Fortunately, the powdery stuff came off with a record machine cleaning.

Wonder how many still sealed Mofi's are out there with the bad inner sleeves?

GreatTone likes this.
  3. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I dont have RCM... (I buy it soon, hope so... ) but any recommendation of how cleaning more cheap, I mean some tool to buy and clean simple for remove that mofi white powdery? maybe this:
    IS422123-01-01-BIG.jpg

please dont recomment the Spin Clean Record Washer, I dont like that, I feel that can SCRATCH the record... so I need something simple for now... I buy new inner MOFI sleeves without the powdery and now works after 3 or more months I dont see any residue in records that are dont affect with previous inners.

4. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

maybe this works!, haha lol

Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 9.20.20 PM.jpg

5. David.m

David.m Forum Resident

Of course no cleaning method will leave the LP surface absolutely perfectly clean when viewed under a microscope (we don't live in a vacuum), but I don't think it is reasonable to believe that wiping the residue with your finger &/or a soft cloth is even remotely as efficient as any RCM, & using your finger will also involve downward pressure on some of the residue forcing more of it into the grooves even though you have removed most/all of what you can see.

I had one 3 or 4 months ago, I suspect MFSL didn't go to the trouble/cost of taking out of play any affected sleeves they had already put into use.

6. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

yes well for now I go to send to trash the affected and put discs in the new ones dont affects... until buy the RCM I keep in "safe" new inners.

this inners are my first inners sleeves that I buy ever... and I go the problem, no lucky! :(

7. BenN

BenN Well-Known Member

Just thought I would say I am ridiculously fussy about scratches due to ocd combined with my stylus being very sensitive to any (which something i am trying to get over really:() but I do have a spin clean and can say it has never scratched an lp. Not even once.

8. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I've only come across 1 residue Mo-Fi inner sleeve so far on The Allman Brothers self-titled debut. After I cleaned the LP on my VPI, I tossed the original sleeve and replaced it.

9. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

Agreed, Iv'e been using one for over 20 years with 0 problems.

murphywmm likes this.
  10. bayen

bayen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello everyone..OP here...surprised to see this thread again and can't believe the "white powder" sleeves are still an issue:thumbsdow! When I first posted/discovered the white residue over a year ago I had around 200 records that needed to be re-cleaned. Happy to say that number is finally down to under 10 records!. Sleeve city replaced my original order of 200 MFSL sleeves with Diskeeper inner sleeves...have used nothing else since:thumbsup::thumbsup:. Good luck to those just discovering the bad sleeves...I would push for replacements if possible.

5-String likes this.
  11. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

I ordered MOFI inner sleeves from Sleeve City last and year and had no problems. Strange. wonder if it's just bad batch.

12. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

It's clearly just old stock using those bad inners from last yr or whenever they cropped up. I bought a new set of sleeves and they are now fine. It's not like some titles sell quickly. Some of those Sinatras came out exactly when the issue started.

mikeyt likes this.
  13. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

Spin Clean does not scratch records. If it did, nobody here would use it. :rolleyes:

14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Stenway, Spin Cleans don't scratch records. I've cleaned over 1,000 LPs with mine and not one has been scratched. Not one.

conjotter and mikeyt like this.
  15. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

That will only happen if you allow debris to get seated in he pads. But that would be true for RCMs too.

16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Exactly.

17. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

I've been finding some of these pinkies from RTI leaving residue and replacing them. Just took out my Big Star RSD Third, which was fine when I first opened / played it last year, now has sleeve residue marks and the inside rubs off on my fingers. Are these things breaking down slowly or was it a fluke I missed it the first time?

18. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

I encountered this yesterday, and it happened on a record that I remember cleaning with a record cleaning machine and putting almost directly back into the MoFi sleeve (during a time when I wasn't the best at making sure the record were completely dry). I cleaned it again, the residue came right off, and I was sure it was completely dry. No effect on playback. :righton:

19. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

No, not a fluke -- pretty much all of the albums pressed by RTI within a certain period (I'm thinking 2010-2012-ish) came with those matte pink inners, and they all are sticky to the touch and leave a nasty residue that, if not thoroughly cleaned with a vacuum RCM or something similar, will leave a big ball of sticky gunk on your stylus. I first discovered this when the record I was listening to sounded horribly distorted...found the stuff on my stylus, realized the album was brand new, and figured out it was the inner sleeve. For a while when I would pull out one of these albums, I would see white fingerprints across the surface. I would clean the disc, play it, and put it back in the pink sleeve. Then next time the fingerprints would be back. I thought it was some weird pressing defect for a long time. Then I realized that it was the pressure of my fingers on the pink sleeve that was transferring the sticky junk onto the vinyl surface. I ended up having to clean several hundred discs -- sucked. Last night I pulled out my Grateful Dead box set from Rhino (the studio albums) and discovered I've yet to replace the pink inners on 3 of the 5 albums. More cleaning, awesome...

groovelocked likes this.
  20. Patti12

Patti12 Well-Known Member

My MoFis have been great. I bought them from London in July and I've managed to spoil only one of them by spilling my isopropanol/ionized water mix all over it which resulted in residue in records that I put in that sleeve.

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The worst audio related product in recent memory. Just awful. I don't think they break down - that oily residue is there from the get go. Get rid of all of them.

johnnypaddock and groovelocked like this.
  22. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I still have some records affected by the mfsl problem but right now I dont have a RCM!
    question: is possible do dry clean with MFSL Brush http://www.mofi.com/product_p/mfslbrush.htm or any other dry brush, just for remove that "white powder" ???
    I know I know... is not a true pro clean with liquids/rcm/steamer/brushes...
    but I need a fast "emergency action" to clean that "white powder" and replace the mfsl bad sleeves with new mfsl good sleeves,
    the store send me a replacement package and I use with some new records... after 5 months everything look good with new ones.
    please any help

23. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I'm gonna say "no," using a dry brush won't clean up the residue and any powdery substance entirely from the grooves. Even if you applied a little alcohol or cleaning solution to the brush I doubt that it will remove it all and I wouldn't risk it making your stylus dirty. At the very minimum I'd order a Spin Clean and have it shipped fast. I'd first wash the records by hand in the sink to remove whatever you can, and then run it a few times through the Spin Clean to remove whatever is left.

24. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

thank you, mmm ouch! yes... I was avoiding buy that spin clean... looks a little dangerous to scratch records and damage labels,
    but maybe yes... is the most cheap "RCM" that exist...
    any other cheap suggestion?

25. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I've been using a Spin Clean for two years and it's never scratched an LP. If I have an LP that's really dirty with visible dirt, I'll rinse it off in the sink first. It's also never damaged a label. Once or twice a drop of water might fall over a label, but I use a paper towel to absorb it and it doesn't leave a mark. Spin Cleans are safe.