MFSL Layla Hybrid SACD *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fooboo, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I wouldn't even agree with weird mixing choices (I like the bass in the left channel just fine, thank you very much). Yes, there's a fair amount of tape hiss, and yes, some of the vocals overload in spots, but for the most part it's just a nice, organic sounding recording. The drums have a nice kit sound, as opposed to sounding like a bunch of individually mic'd and processed drums. It's a production, but it doesn't feel "produced".

dav-here, supermd, bruce2 and 4 others like this.
  2. retroyetactive

retroyetactive Member

Yeah, what I mean by "weird mixing choices" is that some of the vocals are buried in spots and distorted etc., but I think a lot of that is just in the recording, and would have been very hard to fix in mixing. Overall, I totally agree with you. It seems like a lot of people have been restlessly searching for the version of this album that they can finally enjoy sound-wise since it's release, and judging from the one version I've heard, I don't quite understand why.

dav-here and Parkertown like this.
  3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I think it's fantastic :edthumbs::cheers:

dav-here, retroyetactive and Tullman like this.
  4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I'm glad mine is on its way. Does the MFSL come with a booklet?

5. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

It's only a four page insert:cheers:

6. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Much like the original then. Thanks Dennis.

7. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Mine is still stuck at MD (they won't break up my order from the TBAs that are included) I see it a OOS on Mofi and "usually ships with in 4 to 6 weeks " on MD.They have it as "shippable" on my order. I hope they've put one aside for me.Oh well......

8. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

#875 arrived Saturday but I'm just getting to listening to the CD layer at work. Sounds really really good and detailed, but I can only compare it to the 20th Anniversary cassette and late 70s RSO repress (which is fairly horrible... ok not fairly... now it's in the out-pile). This is a treat!

9. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Just got #0051 - halfway thru and I think this is the best this record has ever sounded.

dav-here and George P like this.
  10. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I have 001129 and I have just played the old side one. I had forgotten how low down in the mix the vocals for Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out are. It's a lovely album and always lift the spirits. This sacd seems fine to me and I am glad I bought it. Played on my Oppo BDP 103 EU.

Bill Mac likes this.
  11. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

I have the BDP 103. It gets the job done. quite nicely...It is a lovely piece of music......and it always satisfies when the mood dictates it. and yes, I am glad I bought the SACD also.

12. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Anyone else get a scuffed/scratched jacket even though the shrink wrap was fine? First time it ever happened to me with a Mofi SACD. I got #43

13. Mike Campbell

no

14. No but if you call them, I'd think they would swap it out or just send you a replacement case.

15. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

No mine was fine, number 1129.

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

How you know this?

17. Mike Campbell

no....I got 382

18. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I'm a little nervous about contacting them. The last time I got 2 Mofi SACD's from them they got banged up in the padded mailer they use. They replaced them and told to keep the damaged ones, sight unseen. I don't want to be the boy who cried wolf too often.

19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

You can request that items be shipped separately. If you take advantage of the "free shipping on orders over XX dollar promotions" they automatically ship them as released. Best of both worlds, free and immediate.

They will have set one aside for your order.

20. Natvecal.

Thanks eelkiller, MD will send separately to a point and it seems they've determined I.ve reached that point. I've been getting separate releases sent already. I was told (I called them) They can't "keep eating the free shipping over and over sending one at a time(and STILL offer free shipping and make money of these orders) " I have FOUR separate orders and each has back orders. I did call yesterday concerned that the Layla would end up back ordered as well. I was informed there WAS a physical copy with some other shippables I had within my order. I can wait (I think...) my credit card needs to recoup anyway ! But, thanks for lookin' out. Appreciated!

21. Natvecal.

22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Copies with the -X in the SACD's hub have it corrected ;)

23. Natvecal.

Sorry if this is redundant but, if I'm getting this right is there's a batch (or at least some ) of these LAYLA SACDs that have some studio chatter before/after a few songs . Then they fixed (or corrected ) the rest that are available if I understand this ? I have one on hold awaiting shipping w/ back-ordered items. Given the random nature of the SACD #s (regardless of when you placed preorder or just ordered recently doesn't reflect in what # you get as example ) I wonder if some will still receive the un-fixed version(myself included) or if it has been purged from public acquisition thoroughly ?

24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I can't tell if you're joking haha.

25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Yes it's a joke (a bad one), I imagine someone out there got the reference. I am no Arnold Grove or even a kwadguy.

Quincy and supermd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.