MFSL - Miles Davis - Tribute to Jack Johnson - vinyl is in!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spaulding, Nov 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

It is a great album. The sleeve with the car on is pretty cool, as is the back of the cover

2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

For folks wondering about the cover art: I didn't live through it, but I'm told that the art of a successful black man in a car full of white women was considered controversial in 1971, and changed for that reason.

3. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

The car picture is the original cover.
    The MoFi is a gatefold... Inside is the picture of Miles playing trumpet (used for the CD cover) along with some credits. Very very cool.
    The vinyl is dead quiet.
    Sound is magnificent. That first blast of Miles, as someone said, explodes from your speakers.

True story: A few years after discovering this album, I was managing a record store on a sleepy Monday night when a few members of The Roots walked in. The store was nearly empty as Questlove made a beeline for the vinyl racks and you got the feeling he might stay awhile. So after a few moments, I subtly faded the mix we were playing and put on Jack Johnson. Ten seconds in, Quest turned to his buddy (Cap'n Kirk) and goes, "I told you this was a cool store."

Made my week. (They stayed over two hours. Quest dropped $1500 just on vinyl...)

riverrat, ultron9, MRamble and 12 others like this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I was collecting a lot of music from black artists at the time so the cover didn't seem controversial to me at the time, but the cover doesn't really publicize the fact that this is a rock (that's how it seems to me) album by Miles Davis, so the next cover works more sales wise imo.

5. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

I got my vinyl Jack Johnson MFSL in yesterday. Outstanding pressing of my favourite Miles Davis album

I have reached end game now in regards to this and KOB, and will never buy another copy of either. :D
    Big plug to MFSL too, I have been critical of some of their releases over the years, but their track record recently with the Miles Davis and Bob Dylan vinyl reissues is absolutely first class. :righton:

And come on MFSL, we need Miles Smiles on vinyl.

ultron9, Tensilversaxes and Dmann201 like this.
  6. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Great story. In what record store did this happen? Questlove is well known in Philadelphia shops as a big spender, as well as a courteous and knowledgeable patron. I know a few places that have stayed open later than normal because he was going through the racks

7. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

^^Manifest in Charlotte, NC... Which made it cooler since we don't get many "celebrity" sightings. They were in town for the DNC to play a private gig.

The funniest thing was him buying some terrible albums for Jimmy's "Do Not Play" segment on The Tonight Show. A couple months later I spotted a few of those on the broadcast.

pedalhead, Parkertown and seaisletim like this.
  8. It's Felix

Have you read the 'dust and grooves' book. brilliant and has a big interview with Q and his vinyl

9. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I was around when the record came out, and both covers were available at the beginning. If I'm remembering right the car art cover was really poised more as a soundtrack than a Miles record, and was on the brown Columbia Masterworks label rather than the standard red Columbia label. But I bought mine within a couple of weeks after it came out and it was the black cover and red label. The Tanglewood concert that the picture on the black cover and US stamp was shot at is on Youtube.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  10. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I haven't. Thanks for the tip. I did read Questlove's autobiography, which was excellent.

Back on topic, I also read Miles' autobiography and I can't remember him talking much about Jack Johnson... But it was years ago,,so I might be wrong.

11. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

The Jack Johnson album is one of the all time great Miles LPs. I'm so glad I still have my original copy and am happy to hear this new pressing was done right. Good show!

12. It's Felix

I always understood it was basically assembled by the producer, so perhaps Miles wasn't fully engaged at that point?

13. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Hmmm, $1,500 spent, so advice to retailers: Playing Miles Davis's "Jack Johnson" is a better sales tactic than making your shop smell like vanilla!

riverrat likes this.
  14. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

This sounds great.

15. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

I like it.

16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Does anyone notice a reasonable amount of surface noise in the first few minutes of side 2? Just wondering if this is just my copy... otherwise sounds good....

17. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Does anyone have some non-fill issues on side B?

18. teag

teag Forum Resident

Mine is perfect. Return??

19. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Yup. It is going back. Bummer.

20. Tad

Tad Well-Known Member

On the official mofi website it says it is out of stock, does anybody know if they are going to have it again? If so, any estimate on when it could be available again?

21. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Is thing already out of print? Holy crap I'm glad I bought one when it came out weird ! I thought they usually print a lot more ?

22. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

Have anybody compared the MOFI to the Music On Vinyl?

Wondering which to go for...

23. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

(bump)

24. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

25. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Here's the original doc which should convince us that this music was PERFECT for it:

LoveandTheft likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.