MFSL now doing 7 Bob Dylan titles in mono (hybrid SACD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

[​IMG]
    Bob Dylan "Another Side of Bob Dylan" Mono SACD Mobile Fidelity Labs

Mastered by Rob with assistance from Shawn.

George P and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Awesome, definitely picking this up. It's a transitional album but I like it quite a bit, warts and all. The only change I wish Dylan had made would be to switch out "Ballad in Plain D" (possibly the only song he regrets releasing) with "Mama You've Been on My Mind" from the same marathon session that produced this album.

3. arne67

arne67 Forum Resident

Interestingly enough, I did a blind comparsion of "Bringing It All Back Home" via headphones, and am surprised to tell that I like the tonality of the Mono Box more. It sounds more natural, laid back, not as aggressive. Is that what you feel, too?

4. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

Also, The last time I compared, my girlfriend remarked that the one in the mono box sounded "of its time," where the mfsl seemed to be trying to do a modernized version. I agreed.

River Flow likes this.
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

Can’t get more subjective than that.

J.A.W. likes this.
  6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Mine showed up yesterday. Another great release.

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

You're not just blown' that statement in the wind.

Joti Cover and ssmith3046 like this.
  8. River Flow

River Flow Forum Resident

That's a good point. I continue to go back and forth on these releases, and admittedly I haven't done close A/B'ing. I think the Sonys seem to sound more natural, harsh (in a good way), raw, but a bit too thin in some places. The MFSLs sound fuller (their biggest advantage to me), fairly clear, but a bit EQ'd sounding (smoothed out; boosted bass).

Though there is surely some variability between albums. I read other posters note the speed issue with JWH. The bass sounds more distracting on the MFSL of BIABH than on the other MFSL mono mixes. Also, I think the Sony Highway 61 is really hard to tolerate, whereas the MFSL is a wonderful improvement on that weird mono mix.

9. arne67

arne67 Forum Resident

I know what she means, though that's not always a bad thing. In this case, I think the sound loses its cohesiveness. And I can't stand the harsh harmonica on the MFSL release. At least I'm content with my BoB Mono Box CD now and not awaiting any improvement on it :)

George P likes this.
  10. arne67

arne67 Forum Resident

How does "Another Side" compare to the Mono Box version?

George P likes this.
  11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I only have Mofi’s Freewheelin’ and Bring it all Back Home. The others don’t have a better sound.

12. teag

teag Forum Resident

The MFSL sounds like being in the studio. The mono box sounds like listening to a good recording. Both good but MFSL wins for me.

Shvartze Shabbos and ssmith3046 like this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

Sometimes it's easier to appreciate a mastering after I've had a chance to compare it to something that I like a lot less.

14. arne67

arne67 Forum Resident

That's true :)

George P likes this.
  15. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I went through this thread again to confirm, but for convenience's sake, just a run down of mixes/masters for those first eight albums used (or available) for MFSL's reissues:

Bob Dylan (self-titled debut)
    Mono: original mix, original master
    Stereo: original mix, MFSL could not confirm it was the original master

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
    Stereo: original mix, original master

The Times They Are A-Changin'
    Mono: new mix that was created for mono box set because original master is unusable
    Stereo: original mix, could not confirm as original master

Another Side of Bob Dylan
    Stereo: new mix created for 2003 SACD reissue

Bringing It All Back Home
    Mono: original mix, could not confirm as original master
    Stereo: same remix used for 2003 SACD reissue

Highway 61 Revisited
    Mono: original mix, but it's a production copy found overseas, the closest thing Sony could find to the original

Blonde on Blonde
    Mono: original mix, but it'll be the best master they could find when Sony did the mono box set (i.e. no idea if it's the original master)
    Stereo: most recent remix used for previous Sony SACD reissues

John Wesley Harding

16. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

...and your post makes it a good time to post a link to this page:

Bob Dylan Remastered | Bob Dylan ISIS Magazine

signothetimes53, C6H12O6 and jfeldt like this.
  17. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

So Another Side completes the 7 mono hybrid sacds from MFSL. I believe the debut and Another Side are still awaiting release on MFSL 45rpm viny.

18. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

It would still be nice to have their series completed with the mono Blonde on Blonde.

I have them all, along with the stereo counterparts, and they missing release is a big big hole.

19. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Seconded.

20. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I was wondering about this. As posted here in this thread, Mark Wilder got around this by doing two EQ passes - one EQ'ed for Dylan's voice, and one for the harmonica. He then went back and simply cut back and forth between passes to whatever was appropriate, and this is what you hear on the CD, a brilliant solution for a digital release.

I'm not sure if MFSL would have done the same though - I wish they'd talk more about their releases instead of leaving it to speculation, but I'm guessing what you hear is one pass on their SACD, which means they couldn't go the extra mile of taming every moment of the harmonica like Wilder did with the Sony mono CD.

21. George P

George P Notable Member

A brilliant solution indeed! I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.

agentalbert likes this.
  22. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

George, I realize it's been a long thread, but do you not feel even the slightest twinge of déjà vu here...?;):p

:tiphat:

J.A.W. likes this.
  23. George P

George P Notable Member

Only those who didn't burn out their memory during a misspent youth can experience Deja-vu. :winkgrin:

millbend likes this.
  24. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

"Enough about CSNY, folks...this is a Bob Dylan thread!":cop:

bmoregnr likes this.
  25. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Played my MFSL Another Side mono sacd via my Oppo BDP103EU. I thought it was fine and good to have all the albums in mono (save Blonde) on sacd to go along with the stereo mixes which I had first, as my Dylan albums collection was initially bought in the early 1970s. I still think parts of I Shall Be Free no. 10 is one of the worst songs and performances Bob has released officially in 50 plus years of recording. Mama You Been on My Mind really should have made the album (and we could use a new remaster of that performance on the BS 1 to 3).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.