MFSL now doing 7 Bob Dylan titles in mono (hybrid SACD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voxstarstream

voxstarstream Forum Resident

Was disappointed to see "Blonde On Blonde" is not included in this series. Anyone here know why?

rxcory likes this.
  2. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I'm sure if somebody comes up with the cash for three thousand copies of their favorite obscure album you'll be able to do some business.

In the meantime they'll bring out what they think will sell.

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Nope, just another dig at the label. It is not scheduled at the moment unless their web site is incorrect.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  4. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

Amazon UK have 'Another Side' listed for an October 14th release....

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

They seem to have them all listed for 12/16 now. Wonder if that date actually means anything.

6. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

My new Music Direct catalog says Love and Theft is coming too.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  7. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Yes a bit odd. Maybe Sony have their own plans for Blonde or maybe MFSL will do it next year. No mention on the MFSL site of any of these. Acoustic Sounds and Diverse Vinyl give dates as to be announced.

8. agentalbert

Yeah, but that's stereo. This thread is just about the upcoming mono re-issues.

9. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Anybody else pick up the mono of THE TIMES THEY ARE CHANGING. I am listening to it now. Much better than the Sundaze pressing! I think I'll get rid of that and the 45RPM stereo pressing. Not sure I need this is in stereo and mono!

10. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I got it and have played it once. I think it sounds good but I am have still yet to compare it to the version in the mono box.

11. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I never heard the mono box unfortunately.

12. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

For Sony's 2010 mono releases, Times was newly remixed from the 3-track because they could find no tape of the original mono mix. Steve Berkowitz used a first pressing as a guide to get as close as possible. I wonder if MoFi is using that same mono remix (I would guess probably yes)? What mix/tapes did Sundazed version use?

Flaming Torch likes this.
  13. Flaming Torch

Do MFSL use tapes given to them by Sony for these sacd and 45 rpm vinyl releases or do they get a digital file from Sony. Just interested because the MFSL sacd of the stereo debut album Bob Dylan is the original stereo mix with vocals and harmonica one channel and guitar the other. This stereo is not much appreciated by Dylan fans I know. The current Sony cd edition of this album in the Complete Albums box uses the 2005 stereo remix which is fine. The mono mix is in the 2010 mono box of cds.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  14. Flaming Torch

Interesting question regarding Sundazed and Times. Again I wonder did Sundazed use tapes or digital files? The Sundazed vinyls are fine it would just be interesting to know.

15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Sundazed used digi files for the Dylan mono remasters.

16. matthre2007

matthre2007 Forum Resident

I would be in for <$250 (depending on the package)

Yeah, I'm surprised that Planet Waves is in greater demand than street legal.

CBackley likes this.
  17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Check the artwork... some albums were not mastered from the original sources, probably 1:1 analoge copy.

David del Toro likes this.
  18. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I played the Mono MFSL 'Highway 61 Revisited'. I think it's really good but on each of these 4 Mono's (so far), the reverb on the vocal is very noticeable and I've realised that I am just more used to hearing these records in stereo. I compared 'Like A Rolling Stone' to an original 45, the Sony Mono box version and I actually prefer it in stereo. 'Desolation Row' was the same - sound lovely and it has a warmer, more bass feel that I find on a lot of MFSL releases......but then I played it from a 1971 stereo LP and much preferred it.

Just to add another note: The MFSL mono's maybe lack the edge (excuse the pun) that was what made Dylan so cutting edge in the first place. Maybe the warmth of the MFSL issues take that edge away slightly....I'm not sure...just an opinion on a massive listening session this evening.

I think I am leaning more towards the stereo versions of these records.....regardless of when they were issued.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  19. Nobody? I'm sure @rstamberg is! :uhhuh:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Hmm. I just received the MFSL mono 45 rpm BIABH, Highway 61 and John Wesley Harding. Was hoping to read some reviews before I cracked the seal, but there's virtually nothing online. If these are not a different experience from the momo box, I may sell them.

21. agentalbert

Guys, I started this thread specifically about the mono SACD's that are upcoming, not the vinyl. Please post about the vinyl issues in the appropriate thread and let's keep this one about the SACD to avoid confusion.

MartinR, Shvartze Shabbos and J.A.W. like this.
  22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

There is a vinyl thread that I found, but it said "there is already a thread on this" so I posted here, but there must be yet another. It seems that these are not the most popular.

23. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

24. Flaming Torch

2017 is here. Still no news on the mono sacd releases. As per above 4 of the 7 are now out on vinyl. Just been playing the Sony mono BIABH cd and the related Cutting Edge collectors material from that album. Really looking forward to getting the mono sacds of these 7 albums on MFSL. Hopefully they will have arrived before 2018!
    A great new year to all SHF staff, posters and readers. Should be lots to post and moan about!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Plan to pick up albums 2, 3, and 4 on SACD when released. Perhaps by Fall?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.