MFSL SACD American Beauty shipping now

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Faceman, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

As with a lot of releases, different strokes.... :)
    I thought it was an improvement over my Japan CD but Learning To Crawl was a bigger improvement. A snowstorm prevented me from picking up my Pretender S/T and American Beauty today. :cussing:

I hate lake effect snow.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I know...whenever I play it they flood back...such wonderful times.

MonkeyMan likes this.
  3. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Those times were easier, more free and far less complicated... Anything seemed possible!

Michael likes this.
  4. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I got into the band through Anthem, Aoxomoxoa, Live Dead and the classic combo of AB & WD. Never heard a boot of them until months later.
    We used to spin the records over and over while partying to them at my friend's house. His dad was never there, and he had a huge record collection he used to make music tapes for strippers along with a great stereo.

Complier and Michael like this.
  5. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

i never knew this album was re-mixed, can you explain?

6. Michael

that sounded like a blast...

musicalbeds likes this.
  7. Michael

without a doubt...you hadda be there man!

8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Some years ago Mickey Hart did 5.1 & new stereo mixes of both American Beauty (Reality) and Workingman's Dead from the original 16 tracks master tapes. Mickey made some different mixing choices, including bringing out some instrumental and vocal tracks that were buried/not used in the original mixes. Additionally, he used some spatial processing techniques he's used on his own releases in both mixes. They are more modern-sounding mixes for sure, but they provide a fascinating insight into what was recorded, and how things can sound in another times forgotten space.

The HDTracks hi rez release of American Beauty (Reality) was processed through the Plangent Processes "Clarity" system, and mastered by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering in Boulder. It is a magnificent presentation of the original master tapes.

9. wmb44

wmb44 Forum Resident

Is it correct to say we will now have 3 hi rez versions of this album? 1) Mickey Hart remix on DVD-A and HDTracks; 2) original mix as mastered by Glasser for HDTracks; and 3) original mix on the new MFSL SACD?

10. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Think that this was on Dual Disc, as well, but that was probably the same surround mix as the DVD-A.

musicalbeds likes this.
  11. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

So the original CD would be the original mix, since there was no 5.1 when that came out? What about the HDCD?

12. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The original CD is the original mix. The remastered and expanded version of American Beauty (Reality) released as part of The Golden Road box set is HDCD encoded, this was then released as a CD outside of the box set. It originates from a different transfer of the master tapes than the HDTracks hit res version, which was a fresh transfer done specifically for the hi res version. Mickey Hart's newer mix has never been available on CD, to the best of my knowledge.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  13. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

True...along with the countless imaginative uses the record sleeve was used for while said rekkid was spinning.

14. rpd

rpd Senior Member

This mofi sacd is stereo only, right?

15. Yes. It is Audio Fidelity that is moving towards including surround tracks on their SACDs, not MFSL.

16. evad

evad Well-Known Member

I didn't think it could be done, but the MFSL SACD is a nice improvement over the HDTracks version. Tighter bass and better sound stage. What a pleasant surprise.

Joti Cover and bmoregnr like this.
  17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

This SACD sounds magnificent. Never knew this album could sound like this. Very satisfying.

Joti Cover likes this.
  18. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Didn't you have the original US issued CD (Warner 1988 or '89 vintage)? It's quite good in that same way that many early WEA titles are. That said, I'd expect a proper modern mastering effort to be a knock-out.

19. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

For anyone who has heard both... do you feel the SACD is trumping the vinyl on this release?

20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, but this is clearly a step ahead in sound reproduction. I'm less a fan of older cds than many here. . . but no contest to my ears. If you are a fan of "American Beauty" get this one while it's still at list price.

Joti Cover, Grampire and evad like this.
  21. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Holy crap. It is ridiculous. Must own for audiophiles.

Joti Cover likes this.
  22. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  23. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

Why's the list price so high? $30?!

24. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I think we have been paying $29.99 for MFSL SACDs for a while now right? I cannot remember when it was lower than that but I am sure I will be corrected.

25. That has been the price for years. They are usually a little cheaper on places like Amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.