MFSL SACD American Beauty shipping now

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Faceman, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Is Amazon likely to be selling these?

2. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Just checked, not listed yet.

3. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Yes, Amazon sells MFSL disc's. ;)

Marvin likes this.
  4. MusicDirect actually has a 10% coupon going right now.

Marvin likes this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Listened to this again this afternoon. Really a top-notch reissue.

Joti Cover and art like this.
  6. Lonson

As is "Workingman's Dead" on Mobile Fidelity SACD.

7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yes, but you need to be patient. There is almost always a delay between when MFSL discs are sent out from Music Direct and when they are available to order at Amazon, DeepDiscount, ImportCDs, etc. You can be thrifty or impatient, but not both. ;)

Anyone able to compare this to the HD Tracks release?

8. evad

evad Well-Known Member

I posted back a bit that I was pleasantly surprised that the MFSL SACD topped the HDTracks version for American Beauty. I have not compared Workingman's Dead yet.

9. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

What would you expect the price to be when they show up there? I could not be patient enough this time but at the rate I am buying these I might need to know for the future!

10. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

:bdance::bdance:
    $26.99 with current discount on Music Direct.
    Looking at around $22 in a month with 3 or 4 dollar shipping charge at the usual sites.
    Shipping free with $99 order as well.
    Grab some MFSL gold cdrs for $3 a piece along with Workingmans Dead or Pretenders and make your holiday one to remember.

bmoregnr likes this.
  11. Lonson

Wow, I never realized this til today, and how many times have I looked at this cover? It can also read "American Reality." Wild!

[​IMG]

Joti Cover likes this.
  12. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Is this vs. The complete album collection on hdtracks. Who mastered the msfl sacd

13. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Shawn Britton did American Beauty, Rob Loverde did Workingman's Dead.

Joti Cover likes this.
  14. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Fired this one up this morning.
    You can obviously note the improvement from the first song on this....wow.
    MFSL have been knocking them out of the park lately.
    Hope the Pretenders sacd I got with it is comparable.

Happy Thanksgiving folks!!

Joti Cover, RubenH and art like this.
  15. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

If only I could remember them...

Jack_Straw and MonkeyMan like this.
  16. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Yes, those times do seem a bit vague...

17. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Best version yet. Phenomenal SACD.

18. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I have to agree with everyone else. It's an absolute stunner.

Joti Cover likes this.
  19. Grampire

Grampire Forum Resident

Ordered!

20. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

When is this going on Amazon?

21. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

As much as I like the album and MFSL's recent work, I'm going to stick with the remaster as I love the sound of it.

22. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

This was great, and everything I hoped it would be. I have given it one spin now and it was a bit of a journey but by the time I hit "Brokedown Palace" I was in a groove same as my long-ago days wearing holes in this on vinyl.

First much credit goes to Stephen Barncard as what was captured on that tape by him is just magnificent; we all know it, but it should be said again. Now as I started out I knew early on this was probably going to end well, but I must say there were a few moments of wrapping my head around this. The first couple of songs I was thinking… hmm I wonder if Phil is going to like this, it ain’t been goosed up down there that is for sure. Then there was a bit of… man there is some energy in those highs there, but it does not really feel added, is this just more headroom allowing more of that stuff to come through? Yeah I think that is probably what is going on. Then the thought bubble comes, ok Mickey I see you did not get your crack at slapping down some thick kick drum like on your DVD-A. I am now at “Operator” and a couple of newly heard vocal effects start messing with me and I am hey-ing… there are no vocal effects on Pig, is someone yelling in my empty house, is my glass of wine spiked?

This thing wants to be cranked like a beast, it is begging for it. I would turn and turn, and it would still want more so I give, then I get nervous… man I have neighbors, and they work for a living; are they gonna to kick the door in again? So I turn it down, and that lasts about a verse before I am up going… no you will get what you want.

So around the turn things were calming down and I was getting on top of this, then whatever unsettledness left in my monkey brain got shoved into my already seated seat when "Brokedown Palace" hit. It just all clicked into place, the balance was perfect, Phil’s lines just ripped, the vocals of course soar like never before now, there seem to be even a few more vocal-effect Easter trips out there for the finding, the kick drums and high-end were just suddenly just right like I had always remembered the vinyl and the DVD-A just showed tinges of when it was not trying to be just a little more than the album.

Maybe the album always took this journey and I had forgotten that, but things just finished out beautifully over the next few songs and when “Truckin’” finished up it proved to be about the fastest 42 minutes I have spent on this earth.

23. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Workingman's Dead is even better. That thing is wicked good.

24. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Alas, it will probably take several weeks.

25. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

I'm still trying to figure out if you liked the sound of this one. :p

bmoregnr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.