MFSL Vinyl Derek and the Dominos: Layla Reissue*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paully, Aug 1, 2017.

1. I believe you. Never noticed it at the time.

2. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I wouldn't describe it as thin and threadbare. A bit muddy and muffled perhaps, or mushy. Not bad enough to detract from overall enjoyment, though.

Mazzy likes this.
  3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Again, Wheels of Fire?

4. I just recall back in 1968 WOF was probably the first live album that I thought rocked and was really cool.

Of the top of my head I can think of any other life album before that where I felt like that.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  5. chacha

The music is terrific. The sound of the studio album and the Live album are two different shades of lousy.
    :)

Rickchick and Tommyboy like this.
  6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Have you heard the DCC CD?

7. chacha

Unfortunately no.
    A silk purse I hear?

8. I don't know fellows (off topic re: Wheels of Fire) but I'm playing the studio LP from the remastered Cream box and it sounds pretty fab. Not Hotel California / AJA audiophile sound but not bad. A blistering rocking record.

I guess I'm simply missing the muffled sound you all are talking about.

My Layla arrives this week so I'll be back.

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I guess you could say that

chacha likes this.
  10. chacha

I've never hear the remasters only original UK and US so maybe it now can sound quite a bit better.

11. Pressed Rat and Warthog like you've never heard it before "You will believe a man can fly ."

:tiphat:

chacha likes this.
  12. chacha

Amplified Heat!
    :bdance:

Mazzy likes this.
  13. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

No, the Layla album. That's what this thread is supposed to be about. But I see now you were talking about Wheels of Fire. The same judgment would apply, though, but not as much perhaps.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  14. chacha

Understood about the confusion.
    As far as the same judgment though, Wheels and Layla sound nothing alike.

But enough about Wheels, back to unrequited Pattie!

Mazzy likes this.
  15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

@masterbucket

Got a photo?

16. chacha

dkurtis and Tommyboy like this.
  17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I've got to change my avatar

mrgroove01 likes this.
  18. fooboo

fooboo Member

Had a chance to listen to MFSL SACD.
    Well... a bit too clean. I had UK vinyl eons ago and never heard bass so
    defined. All was fine, but, to my recollection, old muffled vinyl was a lot
    better.
    I assume I would never find the version that suits me. The music is good
    and it makes no difference. If it helps, I like SHM SACD better. My kind
    of opinion. Why? Not so clean and clear.
    OK, what is next to wait for, regarding Layla? :)

19. Huh !?

20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Just got dkurtis' MoFi and US Atco LPs in the mail. I'm about to embark on a listening session, though I'm going to listen to one at a time. The tracks each sound so different, I'd prefer to get an overview of the sound of each (I already have my German copy well into my head).

The three covers, while essentially the same, have a slightly different color balance, with the MoFi being far more saturated than the others. I'll be posting a photo I took of all three (I need to figure out how to get it from my computer to a post). The MoFi, of course, has its banner across the time. But there's a major difference between the German copy and the others.

dkurtis likes this.
  21. AnalogJ

VERY interesting listening to the 1st side of each pressing.

I understand what dkurtis probably likes about the US Atco, but..... (more later)

I'm going to be very brief, but outline what I think of each pressing, in order of my preference:

#1 goes to the MoFi. In terms of inner detail, you can hear more about the guitar, the vocal, the drum (the skin). There's certainly more harmonic resolution going on in the midrange, something that I hoped that the MoFi would bring to the table (I mentioned that a while back). The soundstage is a bit clearer, you can hear a bit more into it. But this is not a soundstage that is so halographic that you can see in and around it. It's just that the more revealing harmonic detail makes each image sound more real. The organ sounds more separate and distinct than on the German.

It might go a bit lower than the German pressing, but not by much. It certainly doesn't go much higher. Both the MoFi and the German pressing sound rolled off. They're certainly warm sounding.

In terms of musicality and dynamics, the MoFi is big, big, big. It's possible that the soundstage may go a hair farther into the room than the German, particularly with Clapton's guitar solos. But the same generous dynamics, presence, and musicality that I like with the German is on the MoFi. I'd say that it sounds like the MoFi is a generation closer to the original tape than the German copy.

#2 goes to the German copy. Images are large, and the soundstage is deep, musicality is generous. When the music gets bigger, it gets bigger both north, south, and outward, It's almost an enveloping sound, extending beyond the front of the speakers, especially with Clapton's guitar solos. Not nearly as much inner harmonic detail, but enough to sound real. Still, the whole thing is warm, instruments sound plausible. And did I say it was musically generous, kind of like sitting in the lap of a big ol' Santa Clau. Everything you can say about this pressing you can say about the MoFi, but add the sharpened, increased harmonic resolution. The German is really enjoyable to listen to. I could live with this one quite easily. I really appreciate the added harmonic resolution with the MoFi, as if it has lifted a bit of a veil. But the relative lack of resolution doesn't hurt the enjoyment of the German copy very much. I understand why this was so highly touted. But there's the relative murk and the lack of air on top. Again, the MoFi's top end is really no better.

#3 goes to the US Atco. Clearly the mastering engineer heard that lack of top end and decided to crank the treble. This copy is very, very bright, almost brittle. It gives the appearance of it having air, but there's really not much air, just a boosted upper midrange and lower treble. The added trouble with this pressing is there isn't as much lower end extension as there is with the MoFi and German copies. More importantly, this mastering is quite compressed. The generous dynamics and presence that is there with the German and the MoFi is missing on the Atco. Clapton's guitar never makes it past the speaker plane. This copy sounds stiff, the MoFi and the German sound generous. Again, for those who don't like the darkish sound of the MoFi or the German, the Atco will intially sound like a big surprise, and perhaps it sounds more balanced from a frequency perspective, but images sound thin, the lack the ease and naturalness of the MoFi and the German copies. Musically, this copy doesn't grab me. In fact, I'd get tired listening to it, as it's dynamically flat, something you can't say about the other two. SO much of music is about the dynamics (both macro- and micro). That's why I like the German copy so much, and it's there with the MoFi.

In an absolute assessment, this recording ain't going to win any awards as a demo quality recording, yet both the German and MoFi represent a certain generosity and ease that better analog recordings have. I have no problem recommending the MoFi as the best recording of Layla I have heard. There IS more clarity of texture via the MoFi, but in terms of sheer musicality, the MoFi and German are pretty close. If you like this album, I would recommend getting the MoFi. If it were a "limited edition", I'd recommend jumping on it.

And, of course, the music is fanTABulous.

22. My Mofi Layla just arrived along with A Salty Dog but I'm too burnt out from the weekend and Eclipse to play records. In a couple of days I'll enjoy and report back

But they sure do look awesome.

chacha likes this.
  23. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Played the MFSL lp, and I'm done purchasing this title. Honest. Great pressing, lovely cover, and the sonics will never be tamed. Enough.

LeeGriffin and chacha like this.
  24. AnalogJ

I need some help.

I want to post a photo I took of the 3 different Layla covers. I don't have a photo hosting site. I just want to upload it from my computer. How do I do this?

25. chacha

You can go to the Postimage site, upload the photo to them, copy the direct link and insert it here with the image box next to the emoticons.