MFSL vinyl hit and miss list*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fender Relic, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

2. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I've only got one LP (from this label), it wasn't expensive by any means, it's a silver label pressed at RTI and it sounds great.

[​IMG]

3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I can say the MFSL of Sundown is fantastic. You are going to get some varied comments about their pre 2000 titles, and I understand the negative comments about them sweetening, or goosing up, the mastering. But my point of view is if it sounds better, then frankly I don't care. Sometimes the original master just isn't all that great, and can use a gentle bump in the eq department. The Raspberries is a perfect example. It needed some help and it got it! But I respect those that disagree. I don't believe that has been a real issue on releases after 2001 when they emerged as a new company.

Remember, the Silver editions are not the direct masters, and are not marketed as such. I have the KC & Sunshine Band album and the above mentioned Raspberries titles in the Silver edition. Both are fine...KC isn't all that much better than a decent standard pressing, but their recordings were pretty mediocre prior to 1978. However, the Raspberries album proves not to discount releases strictly based on the Silver designation.

Fender Relic likes this.
  4. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Hits (as in "better than the original pressings"): Miles Davis:
    Sketches of Spain; Sorcerer; Nefertiti; Miles In The Sky; Filles de Kilimanjaro; In A Silent Way; Bitches Brew; Jack Johnson; On The Corner
    Here's hoping for some more! :cheers:

5. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

A definite "hit" I forgot:

The All-Time Greatest Hits Of Roy Orbison
    MFSL 2-304

6. AJB69

AJB69 Forum Resident

Marc Cohn & Keb Mo are both excellent
    +1 for Roy Orbison Greatest Hits
    Billy Joel Songs from the Attic sounds great

7. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

Jethro Tull - Aqualung (the bass version)

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

They all have gatefolds

Joti Cover and rxcory like this.
  9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Miss....

Nearly all of the 200g Anadisq series.

10. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I agree with many of the posters here. The new generation lps are great and really can't miss based on your tastes. The only series that's not bad at all, but not really upgrades are the Elvis Costello ones. I'm not sure they were that well recorded to begin with.

I don't have many older mofis, but will say HIT to: Donald Fagen, The Nightfly and Eagles, Hotel California.

11. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

With the EC titles...I assume you are comparing to US pressings? The UK's are anudder animal!

RelayerNJ likes this.
  12. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

That's one from the old series that I actually like. Not very good transparency, but I like the bass extension and the overall presentation.

13. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I have mostly UK EC's and a Japan Trust. They're all nice sounding records that don't really need upgrading imo (although I still need to closely compare the mofi/japan Trusts--both very good). I would say My Aim is True mofi vs. u.s. IS an upgrade. The copy I had was awful! On the other hand, Music Direct is having a sale on most EC's, so it might be a reasonable purchase nonetheless.

14. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

Sea Change?!

ndoheny, The Gomper and Dave like this.
  15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I suppose you picked up an original UK.

16. Slick Willie

Actually a 3rd UK issue IIRC. And I also really enjoy my B'Way Piros mastered copy with A/A stampers. Both IMO easily better the MoFi in all but the resale category.

17. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Faith No More - Angel Dust

One additional giant reason that makes it worth having is that it's the only version on vinyl which has the tracks sequenced in its proper order (from 1992)!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have the Piros and I prefer the MFSL.

19. Slick Willie

Interesting......very interesting......

20. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

Gotta put in a good word for the R.E.M. LPs they have released in recent years. The Gain 2 editions of Life's Rich Pageant and Document are essential, if you're a fan. And Muddy's Folk Singer is unbelieveably great.

ndoheny, J_D__ and ted321 like this.
  21. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

No they don't. I have Ricky Lee Jones and Miles Davis Silent Way and they're both standard jackets.

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Piros did CSNY, compare that to the MFSL.

23. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

I know a lot don't like it, but I love the MFSL Beatles box. I know its an old set, but I just love it.

kozy814, 4_everyman, videoman and 3 others like this.
  24. Slick Willie

I'm not debating your choices, we like what we like.
    Are you speaking of Deja' Vu? If so, I am a huge fan and have owned many masterings. But to pick out a Piros of that title - a much later reissue - to compare, well is that fair?
    But anyhoo.....the MoFi ...it is smoother, IIRC,

25. teag

teag Forum Resident

That's strange because I find the original first album by Elvis to sound great. Wonder what happened there? In general, mfsl releases since 2002 are well done.

RelayerNJ likes this.