MFSL vinyl hit and miss list*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fender Relic, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Well you are comparing a much later CTTE version to an early Piros version. The JVC super vinyl used for CTTE MFSL is sooo....nice. Especially in quiet sections.

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

No doubt there, and as I stated earlier that it is hands down the best formulation ever!! Sadly never will it be seen again.
    But I'm more into the 'not quiet' parts of that album. :D
    And still, I wouldn't call it a miss - just that it is now priced so high that it really not worth mentioning here. You are into the UK 2nd issue pricing and that is a smarter choice....IMO.
    And - did you state which US pressing you were comparing it to? Not all are created equal.

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Recent Mofi?

As I recall, many did not like the Billy Joel 45 rpm pressings. Or, at least, I read many negative reviews (and had not been thrilled with the SACD's) and so I passed on them.

I am on the fence regarding the Elvis Costello and REM reissues. I actually like the original Demon/Fiend CD's quite a bit and initially found the MOFI versions so different that I wasn't sure what to think. I also have not decided whether I like the added bass on the MOFI REM albums or not.

4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Did you get the most recent monos?
    Curious how those are.

5. Slick Willie

While I don't feel that these better the right original pressings, I do find the following very enjoyable and so will label them as 'hits'.
    Random order:
    I Robot (JVC press)
    Crime Of The Century
    Breakfast In America
    Year Of The Cat
    Night Moves
    Paradise With An Ocean View
    Mistaken Identity
    Some Girls
    The Cars
    Aja (hey, it's fun!)
    Abbey Road (for the track I Want You)
    MMT (I know, but it's so smooth!)
    Brothers And Sisters (torn on whether this betters the original or not, anyhoo..my new go to on this title)
    Hot Buttered Soul (the bass is just fun on this one!)

Edit: oops, forgot to list DSOTM!

Chemguy likes this.
  6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Hit:

Elvis Costello: Trust

Miss:

The 3 Judas Priest Silver Label releases: Hell Bent, Stained Class and Screaming For Vengeance.

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I was referring to the Bob Dylan reissues. All have gatefolds!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Joti Cover likes this.
  8. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I have an early pressing of the US and agree, it's great. I also have an Italian pressing of the UK version which sounds no better than the US, though it does have the green cover and missing track. :)

9. Marc Perman

As a former New Yorker with shelf space issues I still tend to resist reissues with added width. I felt the same way about double CD jewel cases.

DigMyGroove likes this.
  10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I thin out the collection every 4 months or so.

11. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Little Feat
    Dixie Chicken
    SUX

dead as a doornail...

I Robot - the Classic Records press is the one to have for that album...IMHO

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Rickchick likes this.
  12. Slick Willie

I'm confused as to what you are responding to. My post was about CTTE and the other an Elvis title....

13. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Hits include (but not limited to):

Santana Abraxas 1-step
    Alan Parsons Project Tales of Mystery and Imagination (Anadisc)
    The Eagles Hotel California
    Tony Bennett/Bill Evans
    Sergio Mendes Brasil '66
    Blind Faith
    Roy Orbison - All-Time Greatest Hits - though the tonality is not to everyone's liking here (some preferring the warmth of Steve Hoffman's mastering of this), MoFi went to the extreme of taking apart the original master tape reels from each original album to reformulate and master this version of the album (as opposed to master made from the copies of the original hits album, the way a greatest hits album is usually done). This album has never been done before. It's VERY master tape-like.

Misses include (but not limited to):

The entire Beatles catalog
    Linda Ronstadt's Hasten Down The Wind
    Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue - tonality and tonal balance is just not right.
    Judy Garland/Liza Minelli Live At Carnegie Hall
    Manhattan Transfer Live - more of a missed opportunity, than a complete miss. But with the original release at 30 minutes per side, Stan Ricker pushed to do this on 2 LPs. Stan told me that bean counters at MoFi at the time didn't want to go through the expense and didn't think they'd recoup their money. Possibly right, but the result was a sonically challenged, dynamically pinched LP, with little improvement over an original (other than the benefit of 1/2 speed mastering).
    Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon - It sounds rich, but it also sounds pinched and very closed in, with little air on top. An original UK Harvest still sounds best of any release put out. Perhaps a fresh 45rpm reissue done right will be worthwhile.

McLover likes this.
  14. Slick Willie

A 45 of DSOTM!!! Are you drinkin'??? To break it up on two discs would be tragic. I'm still tryin' to come to terms with Abraxas!:wiggle:
    Can't disagree with your DSOTM results, but hey...taken on it's own it is sweet!!!! IMO, blows away the 30th!

Brudy likes this.
  15. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

We've gone over this before. The original MoFi came far down the list of pressings (LP and CD) in a shootout, including the 30th, which was deemed okay, but a bit rolled off and muffled. Someone who had heard a test pressing of the 30th as well as the commercial release said they botched the commercial release. The test pressing had been done locally at RTI and allegedly sounded great. The commercial pressing was done in Holland. Something happened on the way from California to Holland. I can tell you that the MoFi didn't have the freshness or free zeal of the original UK.

McLover likes this.
  16. Wells2010

Wells2010 Well-Known Member

Allman Brothers Band
    At Fillmore East and Eat a Peach
    Both Gain 2 Ultra Analog lp

17. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

MFSL Hits:

Cat Stevens: Tea For The Tillerman
    Herb Alpert; Rise
    Chicago: Chicago Transit Authority
    Steely Dan: Aja
    Gino Vannelli: Powerful People

18. Marc Perman

Sorry, I was talking about My Aim Is True.

19. Slick Willie

It was not my intent to compare the MoFi to any UK, or any US Wally, hell any US press. I only stated that I felt it exceeded the 30th, and what we received, not woulda''/coulda' pressings.
    And while I agree with the results...who's shootout? And I don't recall us going over this before....but maybe so.
    Anyhoo....still apprehensive about a 45 of a title such as DSOTM.
    Rock on!

20. Slick Willie

Ha! So you quoted Yes and Elvis posts? There be days like that I guess!

21. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I heard this one lately at a listening club meeting. Sounded great.

22. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

The 45 rpm Get Happy was really good. I haven't heard the other mofi Elvis disks.

hutlock likes this.
  23. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

I must buy this now

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  24. Marc Perman

Yes I inadvertently quoted two posts in my response. All the rain here in LA is messing with me!

Slick Willie likes this.
  25. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Has anyone mentioned the recent Love - Forever Changes 45 rpm reissue? That's the definition of an MFSL hit! So is the mono 45 rpm Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow.

chacha and Rickchick like this.