Miami Vice - Season One discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

It was more a phenomenon than it was "serious art", although it did influence network TV far beyond the famous "MTV Cops" concept, such as big budget episodes shot almost entirely on location.

But the cultural impact during the show's run was remarkable: for some time USA Today ran a box on the front page of the "Life" section identifying the songs that would be featured in the next MV episode. The musical tie-ins led to a long list of guest stars - mostly after Season 1. Ted Nugent, Miles Davis, James Brown, Sheena Easton, Phil Collins, Frank Zappa, Little Richard. Also Penn & Teller (separately, with the latter in a speaking role).

steelydanguy and Dan C like this.
  2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I'm a fan of the show but EJO made the show for me. Classic - love that scowl and steely stare!

steelydanguy likes this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member

He brought a dark mystery to the show, which is one of its most important elements, IMO.

steelydanguy, agentalbert and jsayers like this.
  4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Is there a good site with a detailed music listing for each episode? I've been going through S1 on Netflix and in episode 13 "Rites Of Passage" (the one where Pam Grier is in town trying to get her sister away from John Turturo) there is a song during a party scene at Turturo's place that sounds to me like Michael Hutchence singing. I'm pretty familiar with the INXS catalog but didn't recognize the tune. IMDB lists three songs for the episode, but none are what I heard, so their listing is incomplete.

Whoever put this episode together had some major tape speed or drag issues. It seemed like in every song, especially Foreigner's "I Want To Know What Love Is" the speed was too slow and inconsistent.

5. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

My only complaint with the show was the time it was aired. By the time it was over, it was too late to run to the record store and purchase the music I heard on the show.

mdm08033 likes this.
  6. AztecChimera

http://miamivice.wikia.com is the best source for episode/guest star/guest music information.

RoP is actually Episode 16, original air date February 8, 1985.

Music
    • "Come To Poppa" by Bob Seger (Opening sequence with Diane walking beach and Lile taking her to lunch)
    • "Waiting For You" by The Reds (Diane taken to first Traynor party)
    • "Beat Away" by The Reds (Switek and Zito "bugging" Traynor's second party)
    • "Change Your Ways" by Rockwell (Diane shopping for clothes and doing drugs)
    • "Till The End" by The Reds (Crockett and Tubbs attend Traynor's third party looking for Diane)
    • "I Want To Know What Love Is" by Foreigner (Diane is killed while Tubbs and Valerie enjoy each other's company)
    It looks like the song you heard was by The Reds. I'll bet IMDB only lists the Seger, Rockwell and Foreigner tunes.

http://lostbands.blogspot.com/2006/08/reds.html

"The album "Shake Appeal" led the band to work with film /TV director/producer, Michael Mann. Mann hired them to score the film "Manhunter" as well as using their music in "Band Of The Hand" and episodes of "Miami Vice"."

7. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Good memory, Vidiot! Season One, Episode 18, "Made For Each Other" on the original NBC broadcast and again on the USA Network Syndicated run, the Bikini girls appear in Miami Vice Jackets.

8. agentalbert

Oh, I hated that episode. I just watched it, but I didn't notice that. I'll have to go back and check it out as I've been keeping my eye open for that alternate scene.

Yeah, you're right. Listening to the tracks on Youtube, I'm sure it was "Waiting For You" that I thought sounded like Michael Hutchence. Thanks!

9. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Pretty sure that intro isn't on the DVD...but I'll double check.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

It's not, I just checked.

RoyalScam likes this.
  11. agentalbert

The alternate intro isn't on Netflix either.

This show is being dropped from Netflix on 7/15. I'm up through episode 5 "The Dutch Ove" of season 2. I was hoping to get through S2 before its pulled, but that seems unlikely. Any suggestions on the best episodes to watch while I can?

12. George P

George P Notable Member

You gotta see Phil The Shil - http://miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/Phil_the_Shill

RoyalScam likes this.
  13. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Little Miss Dangerous, Buddies, Junk Love, Tale of the Goat, Bought and Paid For, Florence Italy.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Strongly seconded!

zebop likes this.
  15. AztecChimera

Another vote for Little Miss Dangerous, along with Back In The World and Definitely Miami. BitW has some Crockett 'Nam back story along with Bob Balaban and G. Gordon Liddy. Their characters would return in S3E2, Stone's War. Definitely is a lot of fun as all the MV cliches get turned up to 11.

16. agentalbert

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what I can fit in the next few days.

17. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

As I said, it only aired on the original broadcast on NBC and the USA Network syndicated run in 1988. Unless you have either of those, it'll be hard to find.

18. Mike34260

Mike34260 Forum Resident

After it gets dropped from Netflix you can watch full episodes on NBC.com for free.

19. agentalbert

Watched Buddies and Junk Love last night. Glad I saw Buddies just to hear the Kim Mitchell song "Go For A Soda" again. I probably hadn't heard that in 30 years and had forgotten entirely about it. Also interesting seeing Miles Davis appear in Junk Love, though he's not much of an actor.

zebop likes this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

How fun is this video? (never saw it before)

agentalbert likes this.
  21. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

They're on Hulu too, IIRC (albeit, with some commercial interruptions...)

22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

great choices

zebop likes this.
  23. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Miles Davis was ok, his charisma and or cool made it a "bit" believable. I didn't know about the song "Go For a Soda" until I played the video and all came back, ha. I remember the scene in the MV ep.

Thank you:)

24. agentalbert

Phil The Shill was great! Really liked that one. Phil did a good job with the character. Funny seeing him at the end as the TV faith healer. During the short closing credits sequence, it played his song "Rat Race" instead of the Jan Hammer theme. That's the first time I've noticed that occuring. I also really liked Definitely Miami. So was the typical pitch to musicians - guest on the show and we'll feature one of your songs? Definitely Miami opened with a Ted Nugent song. Debarge was in an episode awhile back performing in a club. Power Station did the same in a S1 episode, I think. And of course Glen Frey had "Smuggler's Blues" play in the same episode he appeared in. I also got a kick out of seeing Castillo go ninja at the end of Bushido.

Dan C and George P like this.
  25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

And Phil gets to compliment the dj playing Clapton's Behind The Sun lp..........cute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.