Michael Brecker

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronflugelguy, Sep 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek Thread Starter

Any Michael Brecker fans out there? I'm listening to "Two Blocks From The Edge" and he is one of the top tenor players today. I really like the tune "Delta City Blues". Has anyone heard his last release?BTW "EL Nino" is also pretty cool. Also the one on GRP withe the Escher cover is also very good. Which Brecker release do you think has the best sound?

2. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I have '2 Blocks', Tales From The Hudson', 'S/T' and 'Nearness of You'. Honestly, I like 'Nearness of You' best. Probably because the sound is really good on this one and it features Hancock, DeJohnette & Haden. Charlie Haden is a wonderful bassist...oh and James Taylor sings on this one...bonus! :D

3. Ronflugelguy

The only one I don't have of those is "Nearness of You". BTW, have you ever heard "Don't Try This At Home". I sold my vinyl some yesrs ago, but it had this real cool tune called Isbenereel , which Michael did on the EWI ( electronic Wind Instrument). I saw hime do that tune live and it was 20 times better than the LP, but the lp was not too shabby! Boy that was a great concert! I also saw him about six years ago with the Cal state Hayward Jazz Band doing arrangements of his tunes. He is a true artist, can play anything!

4. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I'm waiting for the Hancock/Brecker/Hargrove Live at Massey Hall to show up.

What do you think of this one?

5. Ronflugelguy

Haven't heard that one yet. I'll have to keep my eye out for that one on the one cent CDs on ebay.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.