Michael Jackson Appreciation Thread (or why I think he's the greatest artist of the 20th century)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by QuintonBarnes, Jul 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquatarkus

Aquatarkus Active Member

To be fair here, everyone in this forum was a child once. A very large percentage of them had liked what they liked since they were children. Most Rock and Pop music's prime audiences were children.

QuintonBarnes likes this.
  2. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

This is basically how I feel, having grown up in the '70s and early '80s also. MJ was first a really cool kid who did some great stuff with his brothers as The Jackson Five. I later went clubbing where I danced to some solo MJ greats like "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough", and "Billie Jean". His THRILLER album had many hits and is a classic. I think Michael was a great physical performer, and when he made the moon walk moves on that Motown 25th Anniversary, we all watched in wonder.

After this, he got weirder and weirder, and -- well, all the rest of it. I don't think MJ really ever matched what he did with the Jackson Five and then OFF THE WALL and THRILLER. He was a King for a time in the 1980's, but that's about it.

3. QuintonBarnes

QuintonBarnes Active Member Thread Starter

Yeah that was a weak point. But I think his influence was clearly multi-generational.

Aquatarkus likes this.
  4. Aquatarkus

Aquatarkus Active Member

That's definitely true.

5. QuintonBarnes

He had vitiligo. Confirmed in his autopsy.

Tyler Mills and Cloudbuster like this.
  6. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

A big reason he was so popular is because of children and his videos. I said dancing has nothing to do with music and it doesn't. His dancing didn't change the music of his records or the music at his concerts. They are two different things.

You sound like Jacko himself with that talk. I always remember his wondering why Springsteen was so big because Jakco said that Springsteen can't even dance. Thought that was funny.

7. QuintonBarnes

Clearly not, but does it really matter? Why do you care what a dead man did to his face? What truly matters is his music and genius. I don't care at all about how many surgeries he chose to get. That's Michael's prerogative. He clearly had some self-esteem and potential body image issues, so there would be absolutely no use in me rehashing it as if it affected my life somehow. I'm hear to talk about the music, not about his face.

Tyler Mills likes this.
  8. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

I think the Beatles greatest work was in the late 60s and they were not some pop group trying to sell to children. If the Stones are second tier at best then Jackson might be 4th tier, I guess it depends on your tiers.

BD70 likes this.
  9. QuintonBarnes

Well dancing clearly has much to do with music as the two have been linked throughout human history. It may not matter to YOU, but it clearly does for many others.

I would argue that his dancing was intrinsically linked to his music and affected his compositions greatly.

bluejeanbaby and Tyler Mills like this.
  10. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Yeah, I asked a question but you took a detour into his apperance - just got thinking if he meant 'bad' literally or bad as in black vernacular.

11. QuintonBarnes

You mentioned his looks from the very beginning. The very first part of your statement referred specifically to his looks in a disparaging manner.

Tyler Mills likes this.
  12. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Wow, and I deleted a post yesterday in which I wrote that Michael wasn't even the greatest artist of the '80s, let alone the century. If I had known how much nastier this was going to get, I would have left it.

Thom and Bobby Morrow like this.
  13. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

The Motown stuff was great...but I'm a James Jamerson fan, so...

14. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It's took a nasty turn.

The OP is new here. I bet he doesn't know what hit him.:D

15. Aquatarkus

Aquatarkus Active Member

First generation Beatles fans were kids. That's a fact.

16. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

It's a fact that many - probably even most - were. But we cannot possibly know that "all" fans were just the kids.
    Not that it means a thing one way or the other.

17. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

Because they had to be obviously. Rock was kids game at the time and there was no older audience for Rock or POP.. Not the case with MJ.

18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

My appreciation of him focuses on J5, OTW and Thriller. But that stuff is so amazing it makes the point you are making all on its own IMO, and I do not diminish how crucial he was to the success of these works.

Got into the J5 and the Beatles at the same time, as a kid, and their cartoon film (Beatles) and TV show J5) were what exposed me to each.

Had the good taste to change the channel right after the J5 cartoon when the Osmond cartoon came on each Saturday.

19. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I would hesitate to call anyone the greatest as I don't go for ranking artists, but he was amazing.

qJulia, QuintonBarnes and Monosterio like this.
  20. serj

serj Forum Resident

Jackson was great, no doubt.. But i think that Bob Marley deserves the word "genius" much more, IMHO.

21. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Jackson for the most part is just another boring pop star.
    On the level of Brittany Spears with perhaps better dance moves
    Where is the artistic talent? There is not a single song with higher asperations

He is an idol / icon but he hasn't put out any memorable music worth taking seriously

you are not going to win an argument in a music forum talking about pure pop fluff

especially to people who unfortunately had to live through all the overexposure
    whether they wanted to or not

yes - dance music - not a higher art form

Standing in the Shadows of Jamerson

sorry but it is very hard to take you seriously

Sondek, Ken, Scott222C and 1 other person like this.
  22. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Amen.

Ken and dino77 like this.
  23. Aquatarkus

Aquatarkus Active Member

Well those kids did grow up. Back then? Pretty much all were kids. They didn't appeal to adults in the 60s.

And MJ had many fans that weren't kids in the 80s.

Even in the 70s and 80s and 90s and so on Rock was a kids game. The fans that weren't kids, the adults, were fans when they were kids. Now you have Rock fans of all ages but that's because they all became fans of Rock music as kids. That's a fact.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    bluejeanbaby and QuintonBarnes like this.
  24. Aquatarkus

Aquatarkus Active Member

Britney Spears didn't write her own music. Would you like to try that again?

Define artistic talent.

Tyler Mills and QuintonBarnes like this.
  25. QuintonBarnes

...do you have any evidence for this or?....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.