Michael Nesmith At 2014 Monkees Convention!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FredV, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No it was always scedualing conflicts, solo projects, business dealings all unrelated to Monkees stuff, and his total lack of interest in the whole thing. In other words he could not stand the thought of being in that group with Jones in it as well.

I'm not surprised that he agreed to tour or do a few shows, but his total 180 is such a shock it's actually funny. It speaks very loudly. I just wondered if others saw it for what it is. That unspoken thing that will not be talked about.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  2. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

Apparently we'll never know?

3. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

And you alone are privy to how Mr Nesmith feels?

JoeRockhead likes this.
  4. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

Former Monkees star Michael Nesmith says he was "practically blind" before having a cataract operation last month that helped restore his eyesight. In a lengthy post on his Facebook page, the 69-year-old singer/songwriter discussed his health ordeal, reporting, "I had been slowly losing my sight since 2007, and then in 2010 it took a dramatic turn for the worse."
    He added that by October of last year, "my world was a Monet painting with pretty colors but no distinct identities." Nesmith explained that his vision continued to deteriorate and by January he was "legally blind" and "needed assistance for most all activities."

He finally found medical help after "a lovely friend and fellow musician, Janni Littlepage," directed him to a surfing ophthalmologist named Alexander Holmes. The doctor diagnosed Nesmith with cataracts and operated on him late last month, implanting lenses inside his eyes.

The musician reveals, "I can see clearly now, just like the song says. So, where I was blind, now I see. In fact, I see better now than I ever have in my life."

In summing up his story, Nesmith expressed his gratitude for his friends and other people who helped him while he struggled with his sight problems. "It is an extraordinary, inspiring, and lovely thing we do: that we heal each other," he wrote.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Read On ABC News Radio: http://abcnewsradioonline.com/music...ring-from-cataract-surgery.html#ixzz2s2jZ9eAL

Hep Alien, Iceman08 and davenav like this.
  5. Eobard Thawne

Andrew Sandoval assures us that there were plans in motion for Nez to join them in 2012.

6. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Until Mike writes his biography, we'll never know. Personally, I'm happy to see him warmly embrace his Monkees soul again.

wayne66 and mrbobdobalina like this.
  7. Emerging from hibernation to let y'all know that I WILL be at the con. I'll be going to the MOTM show at the con proper but not city winery. Those of you who do go to that show are in for a treat though--their Chicago outpost was one of the best venues I've gone to for any show, and finally getting to shake hands with Nez after 26 years as a fan was one of the top 5 moments of my life. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!

905 and Hep Alien like this.
  8. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

What isn't clear is whether Davy Jones was going to participate. After Davy's passing, Peter said the two had been exchanging e-mails "to make the new tour happen." More recently Tork said the initial plan was to perform Headquarters on tour and that Davy wasn't interested. My translation: Plans were afoot, Davy had not signed on but negotiations were in process and then he suddenly died. But that's just my interpretation, and I wasn't there. Another interesting question is, if he had not died but still didn't sign on for the tour, would the other three have gone ahead without him? And if they had, would we have had more gems of Davy Jones quotes regarding the new tour? I guess we'll never know.

Davy was quoted as saying he initially wasn't interested in doing Justus either, but in the end he felt like he ought to be there and it was the right thing to do, or something to that effect.

Hep Alien and Iceman08 like this.
  9. My reading of the situation is similar to yours, Mark. I suspect, though, that they probably wouldn't have gone through with a Davy-less tour if he had been alive. Then again, what do I know?

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Eobard Thawne

The more I think of it, I dunno...

11. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Who writes this stuff?

12. MarkTheShark

Y'know, one other thing I remember either Davy or Micky saying when they did the 2011 tour was that they had agreed if they were going to tour as "The Monkees," there had to be at least three of them. (This obviously wasn't the case before that.) If that still holds, then from this point on it has to be all or nothing, I guess.

bluejeanbaby and Hep Alien like this.
  13. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Music's ne er do well brother in law, always onto the next get rich quick scheme.

14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

No Monkees tour this year ?!

15. FredV

FredV Senior Member Thread Starter

No plans that we know of.

16. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

Think they might announce anything at the convention in March?

17. Eobard Thawne

I hoping that Peter joins them and Micky/Peter join Mike on the Monkees songs, it'd make up for when I couldn't catch them 2 years ago!

Wasn't the last Monkees convention in the late 90's? I know the internet was still in it's infant stages, but I remember reading
    something about it and Rhino was even there to sell stuff. But it was more of a trade show/flea market. None of the Monkees were there except maybe one or two.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

The last Monkees convention was last year, at the same venue I believe.

19. MarkTheShark

I was just thinking that. I betcha Micky shows up to sing along on a song or two. That would be a trip, though.

20. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

That could be cool. I have the boot from 1989 where the Monkees backed Mike on Cruising and Joanne when he joined them for a full set.

21. MarkTheShark

Hey, if these guys ever do a new album, they could call it PISCES, AQUARIUS AND CAPRICORN LLC.

Hep Alien and JoeRockhead like this.
  22. Eobard Thawne

A neat idea for a new album, finish up some of the outtakes too. Or if Mike has some outtakes, I'm sure he does.

Have Peter/Micky add back up vocals etc. to Mike's songs.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. Eobard Thawne

That was the full reunion show: Original Formula.
    The 86 show was also booted.

24. FredV

FredV Senior Member Thread Starter

It's just been announced that Rhino Records will be one of the sponsors for the Monkees Convention. This is almost the equivalent of Apple Records endorsing the Beatles Conventions! :)

25. ABull

ABull Forum Resident

Is this a quote from a 1967 Tiger Beat letters to the editor?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.