Michael Nesmith At 2014 Monkees Convention!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FredV, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

Great about Rhino being involved! Maybe they'll sell some stuff too?!?

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

These guys are like Energizer bunnies. Even Nez, and that shocked me at first, but I'm used to it now. Hope he hangs around for a while and continues to enjoy making music.

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. Eobard Thawne

I hope someone reps Davy's stuff. I could buy some merch or CDs etc.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. mjthomas001

mjthomas001 Forum Resident

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Apparently liquid paper sales dropped off with the introduction of word processing

majorlance likes this.
  6. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Mike's gotta make up for being off the Monkees' bandwagon for 40+ years. He has a lot of catching up to do...

$150 for just a signature? That makes his recent $250 signed super deluxe CD/LP set look like a veritable "bargain". :laugh:

7. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

It says that it does NOT represent what they will charge at the convention.

So assuming that they charge extra for shipping, MA DON, I can only imagine that it will be a bit cheaper in person. Still a lot.

8. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I know. I have my "Picses" album signed by Davy and would love to get Nesmiths signature on it...

9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Other conventions allow you to send items in.

$150 would be worth it to complete an item that has the other 3 Monkees.

Nesmith's own site has signed solo stuff for under $50.

10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Curious on the in-person Nez pricing for items with Davy or the other 3 Monkees.

11. Jodilyn1021

Jodilyn1021 Forum Resident

Those are mail order. They are less in person. Also it is rare for him to do a signing. This is my event and I can speak on this topic.

12. Jodilyn1021

Jodilyn1021 Forum Resident

Exactly. There are not many Nez signatures around. He is a hard one to get so he is worth the money. This is my event and I understand this is not cheap but it is a rare occasion as he has never been to a convention.

13. FredV

FredV Senior Member Thread Starter

Breaking news: Peter Tork will be attending the Monkees Convention on Saturday, March 15th! So, all three surviving Monkees will be at the convention! :goodie: :pineapple:

14. Eobard Thawne

I hope Nez and/or the other 2 take major credit cards!

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

16. Getting ready to head for the airport in another hour or so. I'll be "liveblogging" the Con on my facebook page and posting longer daily recaps on the main blog. In fact, click here for my preview post--I can only blame too much Doctor Who and dodgy curry over the weekend for the setup essay.

And Yes, "Doctor Nez" really is a Thing amongst the younger and sillier denizens of Tumblr. I don't explain 'em, but you have to admit it makes a demented sort of sense...

Hep Alien, 905 and alexpop like this.
  17. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Probably too late but......

If anyone at the convention writes down the setlist of the Nesmith concert, please post it or pm it to me.

I want to know what to expect for the City Winery tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

18. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

The songlist from the deluxe "Movies of the Mind" CD is pretty much still the setlist. The show at the convention did not have "Tomorrow and Me", but the rest of it was exactly as listed here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movies_of_the_Mind

Hep Alien and LandHorses like this.
  19. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Fantastic show at City Winery tonight. Chris Scruggs was MIA but Christian Nesmith played electric & acoustic and another guy played pedal steel, mandolin, and electric... and the songs seemed more fleshed out as a result. Nez was entirely free of the tyranny of the 12 string, much to the benefit of his voice. He sounded great and was clearly having a blast. I loved the shows last spring (had to miss November's at the last minute) but this one was the best I've seen yet.

20. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I didn't know that Nesmith had previously been doing these shows with a guitar until Saturday night at the convention (found out from Christian Nesmith's Q&A Sunday). The way that Nez was using hand gestures to amplify what he was singing about as well as gesturing to the musicians truly seemed like what the show was designed for. I've not really followed his solo career, but I am glad I sprung to see this show - the band and Nesmith were sublime performers. Some members of the audience to my left and behind me... not so much. Who carries on normal level conversations during a show that cost them $100?

21. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The Winery was the same setlist........no "Tomorrow and Me."

I agree that the show was great. I also had to miss November (Englewood, NJ) because of other commitments, but tonight was better/tighter than last April, and at least for his solo shows, more animated/into it without having a guitar..

22. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

He had said early on that he would add another Monkees song to the set list for the convention performance, but I guess he decided against it. I was guessing he'd at least do "Papa Gene's Blues" in addition to "Listen To The Band." Well, I'm sure it was a great show anyway. Surprising that he didn't play guitar, though.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Yeah, I agree. I was at the show, and thought it was really great. Very polished, and the band is super tight.

I was a bit surprised at no guitar-playing by Mike, but it didn’t detract an iota from the enjoyment factor, and it did lend a focus on the lyrics which supported the narrative-style presentation.

minerwerks likes this.
  24. I was at the Convention Concert.
    Best.
    Nez.
    Show.
    Ever.
    For more detail (though less than my usual reviews) see My Saturday Convention Recap.

25. My Sunday recap. And one of these days I'd really like to get you guys' thoughts on the role of Gender in the Monkees community, though that's probably a better conversation for the "Barrel full of..." thread.

Monkees Convention 2014, Day 3: “Telling More Than Before…”

From the Intro:

Hep Alien, Mark Nelson and 905 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.