Michael Nesmith At 2014 Monkees Convention!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FredV, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

2. 905

905 Senior Member

I'm getting a kick out of the $40.00 personalizations the most.

Shawn likes this.
  3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I'm most surprised he didn't charge more for items already signed by DJ/MD/PT or PT/MD. Completing a Monkees item with all 4 for $100 is a bargain.

Were you treated like cattle or could you have a moment or two of interaction?

4. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

"Get Well Soon Dave" is especially interesting.

Iceman08 and intv7 like this.
  5. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

"Happy Birthday To My #1 Fan"

Isn't that technically 7 words? Would that then be an additional $16?

Iceman08 likes this.
  6. swedwards1960

swedwards1960 Forum Resident

It was an assembly line. Get the most through-put in the shortest amount of time.
    I am glad that I got items completed through this. In fact, my group items were made three during Davy's last event in Burbank about two weeks before he passed. Now Mike has added to that. But still, the price is excessive to real people who work real jobs and do this as diversions about things they care about or remember fondly.

Iceman08 likes this.
  7. I can't speak for Saturday's mob scene (Somebody told me his line was 6+hours at one point?!), but I got about a minute with him on Sunday including a brief bit of chit-chat, which was frankly about 45 seconds and a brief bit of chit-chat more than I expected. Probably about the same amount of conversation as I got from Micky on Friday, now that I think of it. Maybe not quite as nice a deal as the conversation reception was, but I was able to get 3 Monkees things signed and I feel like I pretty much got my money's worth. Of course I don't ever intend to sell my stuff either--1 item (my LTTB box) is a keepsake I've been working on since 1997 (ALMOST got that grand slam), and the other two signatures were birthday AND Christmas gifts for my best fandom friends. It's not something I'd do again, but I'm OK with what I spent. From what I understand his prices aren't that out of line compared with "big names" in other fandoms.

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

I hope they tour again next year. As long as they keep making money I guess.

9. Hey! Since my convention essays got rather long (AND I’m going to be writing one more than I expected next week that is just a deep dive on Micky and Nez's Q&As), I thought I’d provide a Helpful Index to my Convention coverage, reviews, and analysis. Here’s the whole thing in one handy list:

Monkees Convention 2014: A Quick Guide to the Complete Coverage

Hep Alien and Parlophony like this.
  10. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I was not able to get a picture, but I saw Nez posing with the Monkeemobile when I arrived on Sunday morning. I heard later that he had autographed the car.

11. Stupid question time: there's more than one Monkeemobile, yes? Because the interior looked somewhat different than what I remembered from Ferndale.

12. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

I didn't know he was ill. What's wrong with him?

intv7 and mark f. like this.
  13. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

It seems like there several known cars, the two originals plus at least three replicas.

http://old.monkees.net/DOCS/MMOBILE.HTM
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkeemobile

Gary Strobl mentioned on Sunday that he had the base car and hoped to get Dean Jeffries to customize it for him, but Jeffries passed away before it could happen.

See also: http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/29/davy-jones-dead-monkeemobile/, which also repeats the claim that the car was made by George Barris instead of Dean Jeffries.

Hep Alien and Fandom Lenses like this.
  14. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Handshake $10
    Eye Contact $10
    Interaction $5 per word under 3 syllables, $8 per word up to 5.
    and for an addition $200 Mike will attempt to forge Davey's autograph from memory.

I bet Mike was really glad he came.

15. Dang! You mean I could have slipped Nez another couple C-notes and saved us both from Brief but Surprisingly Touching Conversation #12? He threw in the chit-chat for free, maybe it was the shirt...

#yepiamgoingtomonkeesfandomhell

MarkTheShark likes this.
  16. BenB5150

BenB5150 Forum Resident

The car at the convention was a replica. A nice one at that!

All you would ever want to know about the two original Monkeemobiles and the replicas can be found here http://thecaveboard.yuku.com/forums/22/t/MONKEEMOBILE.html#.UWl93GS9LCQ

George Barris only owned the #2 car. He didn't have anything to do with building the Monkeemobile. That Honor goes to Dean Jeffries.

Ben

minerwerks likes this.
  17. Thanks--I thought I had seen some of that info somewhere but couldn't remember where for the life of me...but I'd know y'all would have it at the top of your brains. :)

BenB5150 likes this.
  18. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I don't like being cynical, really I try to keep away from being catty but I just felt it a bit cheeky to be charging so much for an autograph to people who were obviously genuine fans and not scalpers. Maybe charging only for additional autographs, you get one free and the rest you have to pay for, would have been a bit fairer. I just feel a bit odd about this sort of thing. No offence meant, I completely understand people who did pay, what other options did they have, but I don't really understand why he charged so much in the first place.

Iceman08, bluejeanbaby and izgoblin like this.
  19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

"White out not selling enough Mike?"

20. SoundAdvice

it's a minor typo on the sign.

Happy Birthday(name?)

OR

To My #1 Fan

21. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

My rare UK white cover "Head" CD had both Jones and Nesmith's autographs (weird combo, I know). I asked two friends of mine to get Micky and Peter and they did it for me. I gave them the cash and they waited with their own items to be signed as well. I am very happy and again, I am done paying for Monkee autographs as I have plenty.

91-year old Larry Storch only charged $20.00, supplied the photos and personalized all his autographs. I was able to sit and chat with him for a long time and being that I am in the Blue Meanies and had a vending table behind him, he kept turning around, smiling, laughing and being Corporal Agarn with us. It was VERY cool. Meeting him was actually one of the main highlights for me.

22. SoundAdvice

I wondered how the solo Nez touring is making money. The Seattle show I attended was 500-600 people with an empty balcony(Easter weekend?)

He must simply enjoy it more than anything. Band aren't cheap ringers in their 20's, they aren't sharing hotel room at the Motel 6.

23. 905

905 Senior Member

He has that nice bus as well, the fuel cost has to a lot considering Mike's schedule.

24. swedwards1960

swedwards1960 Forum Resident

Induction into American Pop Music Hall of Fame, Mike hiding behind his plaque but Peter not so much. image.jpg

Hep Alien and Iceman08 like this.
  25. I'm operating on the assumption that the solo tours at least are just his current retirement hobby--he's probably content to break even, and if he's not having fun with them, he's doing an admirable impression of it. Or maybe he's using his share from this newest monkees tour to subsidize it? (That would explain a lot about that Monkees tour, come to think of it...)

Iceman08 and 905 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.