Michael Nesmith - The Prison (Book and Album)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

Does anyone know much about this project and which version of the album has the best sound? I became interested again by the below quote from a recent Nesmith interview.

Michael Nesmith: The songs from “The Prison” are especially close to me. I wrote a short story to be read while the music played, and that may have been a mistake. I think the music by itself has a lovely and well-appreciated long life ahead of it. I may not be around for that, but I believe it deserves it. I find it truly beautiful. - See more at: http://www.goldminemag.com/article/...-s-solo-tour-in-21-years#sthash.9LoDPRkj.dpuf

2. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

In my almost 30 years of record collecting I have come across exactly ONE copy of this release on vinyl (w/o using eBay).

I say, be happy with ANY vinyl pressing you can get! ;)

3. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I have always been a fan of the smoothly "adjusted" version from 1990. One of the main reasons being the lack of the cheesy drum machine which is so prevalent on the original LP.

BoogieFish, D-rock, agundy and 2 others like this.
  4. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

The CD remix sucks.. the original vinyl is the ONLY way to hear this album. This album is a classic amongst classics. Nez has never surpassed this incredible album.

5. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

There you go. I thought there was an 90's version that was more enjoyable to me for some reason. Thanks for the reminder, I'll look for that one.

6. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

I have the LP set and the remixed CD, love them both. "Marie's Theme" on the LP sounds a bit psychedelic compared to the CD (I'm not complaining).

7. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Totally disagree. The vinyl tends to get cluttered in places and usually due to that awful drum machine. I am not that big a fan of the 2008 remix which is a hybrid of both versions.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Should do a DVD version which has the text scroll at the appropriate pace.

GV1967, D-rock and Beaneydave like this.
  9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

The Residents did something like that with Eskimo - another release that pairs text with (largely) instrumental music

Scope J likes this.
  10. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I think it's his best album. I wish the original mix was available on CD.

11. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I was so happy to get the Prison on CD. Until I heard it. Hear Me Calling is my favorite song and I went straight to it. And I yelled "What the HELL? Where is the GUITAR?????" It went from a guitar based song to a piano based song. I have it but never listen to it anymore. I prefer my needle drop. IMHO he ruined it, or at least damaged one of my favorite albums. I put it in the same category as Zappa and Ozzy's revisionist issues.
    Sorry Nez.

12. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Mr. H likes this.
  13. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I don't think so. As far as I Know the original mix is only on vinyl.

14. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I was lucky enough to get a signed copy of the vinyl set from Videoranch way back when they had them in stock (a decade or so ago). Perhaps I should go ahead and give it a listen.

15. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

They had them last time I checked, probably a year or so ago.

16. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

17. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Funny, that signed Prison box was missing from Videoranch when I wanted to buy it earlier last year.

Amazingly, I found a boxed version in decent condition for sale at Amoeba in San Francisco for all of $5 in October, so I snatched that up right quick. It may not have Nez's signature, but that was a heck of a deal.

When the LP was reissued in 1977 (I think), not only did it lose the box (but kept the book), the LP was re-cut. I haven't compared the two to determine which sounds best.

Indeed, what others have said is true that both CD releases offer two different remixes of the album, neither of which match the original LP. I honestly find something to like about every version. This is Nez's best, most beautiful album. And I can't handle reading the book while listening to the album, because it just distracts me too much from the great music.

18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

From Wiki

"The Prison" was dramatically remixed by Michael Nesmith for CD release on "Rio Records" in 1990, and again in 2007 on "Edsel Records". Some changes on both remixes include the removal or addition of drum machines, extra reverb on vocals, and many other changes.
    Although the iTunes download of "The Prison" is credited in the iTunes store as the 1990 remix, it is actually the 2007 remix. As of September 2013, the original mix that appeared on vinyl has not been officially released on CD.

D-rock likes this.
  19. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I'm dying to get my hands on an original pressing, but not dying for the chance to spend upwards of $60 for one. Ah, the trials of being a Nez-head.

Skydog7 and EasterEverywhere like this.
  20. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

My first time through I did read the book with the record as a soundtrack. It worked well, but I realized that not everybody reads at the pace I do. In fact I had to slow down a bit. Its a concept/performance art bit that was intriguing, and was Nez first step in what would become, eventually, his concept of music video. The next step was the RIO video, followed by Elephant Parts.
    I have only read the book twice since 77.
    My single pocket set sounded better than my brothers box to my ears, and I think mine may have been pressed by Island(or whoever did the Island pressings).

21. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Last March Nez did a few tracks from The Prison while on tour. Life (The Unsuspecting Captive) was beautiful even in concert. It wound up with the other live Prison tracks on the limited edition lp that came with the Super Deluxe Edition of the new live album....yeah, the lp that I missed out on. Sigh.

D-rock and Mr. H like this.
  22. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I like all versions. But I'd have to say the 1990 mix is the best. It's beautifully written and played - all versions. It really does blow me away lyrically and instrumentally.

Often thought a deluxe box set of the album would be really cool. Something like the "Dark Side of the Moon" box. All three versions and a surround sound version too.

Also thought it would work perfectly as a Kindle book so that the music played as you read the story.

There is a third part to The Prison and supposedly Nez has written the story and recorded some of the music. Still waiting on that one.

The UK tour he did in '74-'75 to support the album is a very entertaining listen. Could include those with the box set too.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    wayne66 and Mr. H like this.
  23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I found the original vinyl set a year or so ago for less than $10. I've played some of the music but still haven't done the who,e experience yet. So I've just pulled it out as a reminder so maybe I can get that done this week. I also pulled out the Live At The Palais lp as I've been ignoring it as well. :o

I love Elephant Parts. I never owned it but I rented the VHS tape a few times.

24. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I think that album's awesome but he apparently doesn't.

And yeah, even if he doesn't go the deluxe box route for "The Prison" (which may be good, because it would likely cost a fortune but come with a nice collectible card), I can't understand why he doesn't at least throw the original mix up as a download on Videoranch. I'd buy it!

Mr. H and D-rock like this.
  25. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Well, personally, I like the original LP mix the best. But I actually kind of like the recent (2008?) remix as well. It's different... but pleasant. Although maybe I should listen to that again. I really didn't like the 1990 remix... I guess I'm in the minority. The thing is, each remix seems to have new overdubs or at least uses different parts completely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.