Michael Nesmith’s “Infinite Tuesday” autobiography arrives April 18th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AnalogueAndy, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

Finished reading the book this morning. I enjoyed it and found it interesting, but was surprised that he basically stopped discussing his music after the release of "Radio Engine." No mention of the Monkee reunions, nor of "Tropical Campfires," which always seemed to me to be something of a career milestone.
    Nesmith has always been something of a polymath, so it might be that his musical endeavors are of no greater importance to him than his video and virtual reality projects (creativity is creativity...it isn't as if he was unproductive). A perspective I hadn't previously considered.

Ken K and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

3. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I enjoy the CD very much and "Silver Moon" has become a new Nez favorite and a song I never knew until this compilation. Ordering the book from Amazon next week!

4. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Anything that anyone found relevatory about the book? Either Monkees or Post Monkees???

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  5. FredV

FredV Senior Member

6. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

I just finished the book and I generally enjoyed it.

The good - Mike is very open about his personal life and his relationship with his mother. You do get a very clear picture of the "other stuff" that has happened to him and it is quite telling that he spends so much time talking about dealing with business issues and having to look after his mother's trusts and the like. It is very moving to think of him alone in his house as his health was failing.

The bad - There are huge omissions as others have mentioned and it is interesting that on the rear cover somebody mentions wanting to read a second volume. There are so many things that are not covered in the book, that it would be easy to imagine another volume with very little filler. Stuff like Justus, Good Times!, Tropical Campfires, continuing as a 3-piece after Peter left etc. all deserve their own chapter for a start.

7. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I thought the book got off to a good start, very literate in an unexpected style. But it lost me entirely half-way through, when it became evident he was lost and gullible in regards to Christian Science and vague faith-healing references, which lacked the specificity of the previous half. I couldn't finish it.

8. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

So far, I LOVE this book.
    Makes Micky's book seem like a children's book via comparison.

9. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I hate Micky's book. It's barely more than a compilation of the stock quotes he's been doling out in every interview for 30 years. The sad thing is that he's a very intelligent guy and if he could stop being "Micky from The Monkees!" for a little bit, I'm sure he'd say some interesting things.

So while Nesmith's book kind of went over my head on occasion, I at least give him credit for writing it as himself and not "Mike".

Wingsfan2012, D-rock and Keith V like this.
  10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm a few chapters in and really enjoying this book. Totally unlike most of the autobiographies written by musicians that I have read. I was fan of the TV show when I was 13 when it aired but have heard very little of Mike's solo work or knew of his life in later years.

Wingsfan2012 and D-rock like this.
  11. CDC

CDC Forum Resident

12. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

On the contrary, Nesmith discusses his positive opportunity to record the material from the Monkees Nashville sessions. As dealing with Kirshner's presence during 1966 and 1967 was a disappointment, the Nashville sessions come across as a highlight of his time with The Monkees as a recording act. Also, Nesmith explains that he didn't always have the ability to direct others to satisfy his own vision, as he wasn't talented in communicating musical ideas to others or even knowing what to communicate. He relied heavily upon session musicians' arranging and other musical talents in order to make the great Monkees records that he wrote and produced.

Wingsfan2012, Keith V and D-rock like this.
  13. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Funny anecdotes in the book about Columbia security forces not allowing Mike or Davy to enter the studio as they were unknowns at the time that the show began shooting. Davy's reaction to the security guard is not acceptable behavior, but makes for an interesting read.

Wingsfan2012 and Keith V like this.
  14. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

My reactions match some of the others here. It was a bold act, and a little surprised his publisher let him get away with it, how little a book that 90 percent of anyone buying it is buying it because of the MOnkees is about the Monkees. I checked it out from the library so can't fact check my impressions, but I think there are literally less than 10 sentences specifically about any of his bandmates, zero mention that the Monkees had any afterlife after HEAD (whether in reality or in the way his life went....what does he think/feel about being largely known as a Monkee for example? His lack of Monkee-info in this book tells us the answer to that I guess....as does him openly admitting he's happier if a fan says he's into his solo work or video work.....)

I too was very impressed with first half, it felt super honest and direct as rock bio goes, with the very lack of Monkee-info part of that; this is clearly exactly what he wants to tell us. But for a guy as funny as we know him to be and who presents humor as key to his being and work, not nearly enough of that, and all the vague gaseous spiritual stuff in second half started to bore me.

I appreciated his self-honestly on some things likely hard to write about, like his frequent failures to work his way into a deeper relationship, personal or professional, with certain colleagues like Nicholson and the REPO MAN team.

I somehow had never even heard about the whole PBS lawsuit thing, and found what I learned fascinating and wish he'd gone into more detail.

I assume that the Ronstadt version of "Different Drum" had some interesting effect on his life and career as a writer outside Monkees, so found it interesting he didn't mention it at all. As others have posted, it's pretty clear that his career as musician and songwriter isn't nearly the most important part of his life in his own mind, even if it might be to would-be readers of this book.

Reading books by or about musicians always makes me want to listen to their music. I was alas reminded that RADIO ENGINE/PHOTON etc. is one of the least interesting records I own and have bothered listening to more than once. Like Jimmy Buffett without any charm or verve.

monkeetrade and Keith V like this.
  15. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

I just read a brand new article I found it on Yahoo it came into my feed regarding Michael Nesmith and the Monkees. I can't seem to find it now.. does anybody know of it or can send me send a link or a post link.
    Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.